Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DLearning Sketchup

• EgeriaEgeria61 Posts: 0Member
    We usually just use the regular materials paint bucket, no experience with true rendering. The biggest lack is the missing shine/glow attributes.
  • liam887liam887322 SwedenPosts: 575Member
    Egeria wrote: »
    We usually just use the regular materials paint bucket, no experience with true rendering. The biggest lack is the missing shine/glow attributes.

You should give kerkythea a go its free
    We have actually been planning to do that sometime. Right now net is fairly horrible, but if it isnt too big we might download it...
  • Jimi JamesJimi James0 Posts: 0Member
    Some more work done on the Carbine concept. As I said earlier, many of the changes made to the carbine will be reflected in the standard assault rifle when I get back to it. Since this will be the more prominent version of the weapon in use, I wanted to get this one done first.

th_carbine.png

I don't recall if I mentioned this here or not, but I've started using Inkscape and have been really happy with its results so far.
    Ok, more 3d is coming. I promise. But until then, you'll just have to make do with some 2d WIP's.

I threw together a quick concept of what the standalone attachment might look like. The standalone attachment can be used with the grenade launcher and the Masterkey shotgun. I based it on parts from the carbine and rifle using the standard stock and pistol grip so that it's a familiar design, or rather a companion to either carbine or longer rifle. The idea being you can go from the standalone, back to the rifle or carbine without having to learn an entirely new weapon system. The grenade version will need some sort of ranged sight, and the shotgun will likely need some sort of stronger locks to help keep it on the rails.
    th_StandAloneLauncher.png

I'm also planning on doing a larger dedicated grenade launcher to be used in weapon squads and at some point there will be a dedicated shotgun...whenever I can get to it.
    I've done a bit of work on the forward hull.
    th_EssexNewHukk.png
    Looks very nice... Is it shorter than before, or is that just our imagination?

Also, what length and diameter was it?
    Actually this forward section is a bit longer, though I've made some adjustments so that when the middle core and engine section are added, it's about the same size overall I think.
    I think with the addition of the upper stabilization supports that connect to the docking arms, it breaks up the hull and makes it look smaller. I'm thinking of removing it though so it's not as obstructed and a bit more streamlined.

Here's a quick a 2d of the ship with all three sections, though missing a number of components, such as weapons and sensors. This is the version I used to get the following measurements, and I rather quickly just now removed the upper docking arm supports.

Length 790m
    width 205m
    height 170m

th_EssexNewHukk2.png
    fairly big, that one.

We'll need to remember such dimension types when we start constructing ships again... The base design of the Elgr was too complex...
    Yeah, the Essex class is one of the biggest, though still longer then what I had originally intended. The Kirov class is, or rather will be very close in size to the Essex, though I don't recall right off if she's bigger or small then the Essex. Either way it's not by much so they're both in the 800m range.
    I'll probably end up going back and trying to tighten things up a bit to shave off a bit more of that 790 meters. If I could get the Essex class under 700, while maintaining all the elements that make the ship unique, then I'd be happy.
    Ships do have a tendency to grow beyond intended dimensions, don't then?
    *grin*
    Yes they certainly do. If anything, this likely speaks to the benefit of having some sort of plans or concept art before hand to start with, rather then simply starting from relative scratch.
    I have to tweak the colors/shading, and might add a few more accessories, but they're just about done.
    AR-558 Combat Rifle
    th_combatrifle.png

AR-559 Carbine
    th_carbine-2.png
    Taking a bit of a break from the rifles for a while, and I've been edging back into SU. I've been working on one of the unmanned remotely operated ground vehicles used by the Alliance Guardsmen; Multi-Purpose Unmanned Ground Combat Vehicle (MPUGCV) or more commonly called the 'PUG'. This is more oriented towards urban combat.

Up close shot of the turret.
    th_Turret.png

On the road.
    th_PUG.png
    Update:
    th_PUG-1.png
  • Ice-DragonIce-Dragon0 Posts: 0Member
    now that is very cool:thumb:

Great work
  • HundredHundred268 Posts: 1,021Member
    Yeah man that's not bad at all. Great job. :thumb:
    Thanks. I'm pretty happy with how it's turning out so far. I'm sort of dreading doing more detail on the tracks and the drive systems though. My experience with tank tracks and drive systems has so far not been great, so I'll probably try and put it off for a while.
    I've started working on the tracks. Mixed results so far.
    th_PUGtracks.png
    The Combat Rifle and Carbine in possible configurations.
    th_combatrifle-1.png
    th_carbine-3.png
    I started working on a new construction pod type vehicle, basically my version of Starfleet's Workbee; though remotely piloted like so many other vehicles in the New Haven Universe. I think I had one before that I was calling a yard tractor, but wasn't really happy with it. This one goes for more of a small automated drone type configuration. A ship like the Tico would carry several of these and they'd be a very common sight at any space dock or ship yard.

th_cONSTRUCTIONPOD.png

th_10.png
    An update to the Laser Turret. I'm pretty much taken it to the point where I'm happy with it now, so this will probably be the last update for this one.
    This is the new more advanced long range CIWS system used aboard UN vessels, though most ships still rely on a combination of short range missile and mid-range rail guns, because the laser turret hasn't seen widespread deployment yet.
    th_laserTurret.png
  • Dr LeeDr Lee2 Posts: 0Member
    REALLY liking that construction pod design...
  • sorceress21sorceress21269 Posts: 577Member
    I'm not crazy about the chassis. The turret however is superb. A very "mech" like design. I'll tell ya Jimi, no one could dare say your design talent is even remotely inadequate. You've got it there. What will really bring your SU modeling to a whole new level would be introducing some organics inot your designs. Even a blocky design in the real world usually has at least some organic elements to it. Organics in SU are a headache. You will end of spending lots of time resolving mesh errors and geometry conflicts, but the results are worth it. You have to start trying though.
    Thanks....and I agree Sorceress, I need to work on including more organic elements to my designs. I've tried a few times but have had very poor results so far, but it's definitely something I want and need to work on more, if for no other reason then I have several aircraft concepts planned that are more complex then the simple shapes I'm working with right now.
    One fairly easy way to get some organics is to use wires. Set up a framework, then use a multi-point bezier using the framework to get it curving in all three planes, then use a tube-along-path function to make it into a wire/cable.

Another way is to look up various organics and copying ideas from them. need a curved joint? find a 3D hand, scale it up to 50 times original size and cut away most everything except the joint you need.

We have pondered for a while making a ship based on a finger.

Another way, if slow, is to do like we did on the elderling model tail. We first set up a couple of beziers to get profile shape, then a perpendicular shape to get the form and combined the two using push-along-path & scale. It takes time to make a tail like that, but the results are good, and its far easier than drawing them one edge at a time.

The hardest thing with ships and organics is combining the organic and the mechanic elements right without making it look unoriginal or patched together.

We like that turret, Jimi.

The best for organics would of course have been to have a 3D scanner. But unless you're silly rich or work at a well-equipped university or something like that, most persons lack such tools.

Combining the two techniques above (tubes & bezier pushes) might yield fairly original hull designs. If you wish to also stick in some hangars, splitting it along a "seam" and adding flat sections somewhat below that edge might work well, giving a organic hull and a Death Star-like trench full of hangars. In theory such trench could be collapsible providing extra protection.
    Some new 2d WIP's.
    A couple new things.
    The Tweel used on the Bushmaster.
    th_BushmasterWheel.png

And the FGM-289 MAW Multipurpose Assault Weapon, feeling the role of both an anti-armor and surface to air shoulder mounted missile.
    th_UN-Rocket.png

A new Wip for the Bushmaster TCV, a five man armored transport...a cross between the Humvee and the newer modern MRAP (Mine Resistant Ambush Protected) serving in Iraq and Afghanistan...with a bit of the Armadillo from Gears of War thrown in to mix things up some....also showing off the new wheels I posted earlier.

th_MA-24A2BushmasterTCV.png
    The Essex Class, pretty much done for now.
    th_bitmap.png
    Nice sheet, nice ship...
    Thanks. The Essex class has come along way from the original concepts it started out as back in 2007. Back then the design had a whole lot of BSG with some Stargate thrown in for good measure. Now though I think, it's something largely more unique; so I'm finally happy with it. For now at least.

Looking at the sheet itself, it needs some work I think. It's not as crisp as I'd hoped when scaled down and the full size version is too large to post so I'm going to have to work on it some. I also might pick some different close up shots highlighting various features. There's some overlap in a few places and some areas like the side launch bays that are relatively neglected.