Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DESB Snowspeeder WIP

• PabloPablo0 Posts: 0Member
    I finally managed to do some texture work on the main guns and the rear of the snowspeeder. The rear lower airbrakes aren't finished, the ones in the render are just temporary. I've still got some touch-ups to do with some of the textures but overall i'm quite pleased with this. Next up; the interior and pilot/gunner :)
    75757.jpg75758.jpg
  • BarBar171 Posts: 0Member
    Excellent work Pablo!
    It's looking amazing!
  • SeverusSeverus401 Posts: 254Member
    Yeah that is pretty damn sweet... beautiful model and texturing
    Thanks Severus and Bar, i really appreciate your comments :thumb:

To have a break from texturing/modelling i thought i'd try out a 'fly-past' mini-scene. The speeders are missing thier crew, and they are all the same vehicle (for now), but i think this has turned out pretty cool, so why not post it up here. Some slight post work in pshop for colour adjustment and i also faked the DoF :) The background mountains/snow was done using sub-poly-displacement, but the simple sky was added in post.
    75889.jpg
  • Ice-DragonIce-Dragon0 Posts: 0Member
    Great image Pablo:thumb:
  • Mach CritMach Crit0 Posts: 0Member
    Kewl! A little motion blur and some heat ripples from the exhaust and it would truly rock. Especially for a quickie render. Nice background as well.
    Mach Crit wrote: »
    Kewl! A little motion blur and some heat ripples from the exhaust and it would truly rock. Especially for a quickie render. Nice background as well.

There is no heat from the exhaust!
    It's a repulsorlift!
    :D
  • Mach CritMach Crit0 Posts: 0Member
    Sorry, repulsorlift ripples then. I seem to recall some sort of distortion ripples when the speeders flew along in the first part of the movie. But hey, isn't that a great honkin heatsink on the back? (repulsed stuff sink?)
    Mach Crit wrote: »
    Sorry, repulsorlift ripples then. I seem to recall some sort of distortion ripples when the speeders flew along in the first part of the movie. But hey, isn't that a great honkin heatsink on the back? (repulsed stuff sink?)

I was winding you up dude!
    There were no ripples.
    I doubt ILM could have managed it in the 70's!
    The original cut had them as slightly see through...
  • RAF-MXRAF-MX10 Posts: 0Member
    Simply amazing!
    Fantastico trabajo amigo!!!
    I managed to track down images of my friend's SS scratchbuild of the Snowspeeder.
    Here are some images(Reproduced here with his kind permission):

Mvc285s-vi.jpg

Mvc287s-vi.jpg

Mvc289s-vi.jpg

Mvc296s-vi.jpg

Mvc300s-vi.jpg

Mvc304s-vi.jpg

Mvc306s-vi.jpg

Mvc309s-vi.jpg

Mvc318s-vi.jpg
    Wow, that's some special modelling! The interior is very interesting, i've been wondering about the configuration of the seats and the manual controls. I might have to rethink my cockpit layout. That's great stuff Bar, thanks a lot for posting these up :thumb:
    Pablo wrote: »
    Wow, that's some special modelling! The interior is very interesting, i've been wondering about the configuration of the seats and the manual controls. I might have to rethink my cockpit layout. That's great stuff Bar, thanks a lot for posting these up :thumb:

No problemo.
    I have no special reference myself but, if i know Michael, i expect he has made this very accurately. I think he must have had a lot of LFL archives reference.
    Here are some pics of the interior details:

Mvc319s-vi.jpg

Mvc307s-vi.jpg

Mvc306s-vi-1.jpg

Mvc305s-vi.jpg

Mvc-906s.jpg

Mvc-899s.jpg

Mvc-821s.jpg
    Awesome! It looks like i have my work cut out for me trying to emulate that in 3D :o
    Thanks again for posting these, it's tremendous work and very, very interesting. He's one hell of a modeller that's for sure!
    Awesome! It looks like i have my work cut out for me trying to emulate that in 3D :o
    Thanks again for posting these, it's tremendous work and very, very interesting. He's one hell of a modeller that's for sure!

Yeah. He's a genius.
    He's also made a SS Cloud Car and an A-Wing, amongst the many other beautiful models he has made.
    All hand built by himself.
  • Dr. JonesDr. Jones0 Posts: 0Member
    wow, judging from the picture of the hand holding the backseat controls, that thing must be huge
    Dr. Jones wrote: »
    wow, judging from the picture of the hand holding the backseat controls, that thing must be huge

Yeah. It'll be about 21" long...
    The MR 3/4 SS replica was 16" long!
    It's been a little while since an update, so here goes... I've been pretty busy trying to layout the UVs for the AT-AT i'm going to use in my final scene. I didn't model it (it was made by a friend from the c4dcafe site) so it's taken me a little while to clean it up and get it prepared. Painting is going well and i should have it finished in about 3 weeks time. Meanwhile, i took the plunge and bought Zbrush a couple of days ago (i've always wanted it since i first saw it), so i've been getting carried away and neglecting my long suffering 3D widow of a girlfriend and have been locked away attempting to create the crew of my snowspeeder. It's been a lot of trial and error but i think i'm getting there, slowly. This model has taken me about 6 hours, i keep on having to jump onto the web and find a video tutorial for each step.
    Anyway, here he is, he's definitely a work in progress but i think it's looking pretty good at the moment :)
    76176.jpg
    I finally managed to get this thing finished off.
    I'm 80% happy with it. I reckon i'll end up revisiting it at some point but it was a good learning tool. I eventually did a massive multi-pass render and did the lasr blasts and explosions in Photoshop. The majority of this image is straight of Cinema4D's Advanced Render3. All textures were painted in Photoshop, the crew were modelled in ZBrush, again with textures painted in PShop.
    Cheers
    Paul
    86055.jpg
    Very nice! I am making one of these myself and i love the details you have added to it. Beautiful!
  • somacruz145somacruz1450 Posts: 0Member
    Wow awesome stuff ! :thumb: I thought the last image was some kind of a painting :D The model is absolutely flawless.
    Hi somacruz145, thanks for commenting. I'm pleased you like the painterly feel to it as i was trying to get that feeling of the air combat paintings you see around sometimes, y'know, with the p-51's or spitfires.

Hi Bar, good luck with your Speeder. There are some tricky parts on this thing. If i was to do it again i reckon i would've used displacement rather than modelling those armour panels, they took me forever. Worth it though, i'm quite pleased with it how it turned out and i learned a lot.
    Cheers! :cool:
  • IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
    I've just read the whole thread and the model is fantastic, good job
  • ComcoComco317 Posts: 1,281Administrator
    Wow. I wasn't expecting to see this updated again after so long! Great to see this finished, Pablo. She looks great. Although, you mention the existance of a "massive" version of the render above - any chance we can get a high quality wallpaper sized version? :cool:
  • WizWiz28 Posts: 0Member
    Hey Pablo,

Been a while mate, hope all is well, and the model (and image) are looking great mate, fantastic work!
    Hi Bar, good luck with your Speeder. There are some tricky parts on this thing. If i was to do it again i reckon i would've used displacement rather than modelling those armour panels, they took me forever. Worth it though, i'm quite pleased with it how it turned out and i learned a lot.
    Cheers! :cool:

Hey!
    I was totally unclear about my build. I am building one in 1/20 scale that i can hold in my hand and fly around the room making blaster noises!
    I have the main shape done. There is about three days work in this(But i haven't been able to work on it for the last few weeks due to work:

27082010499.jpg

27082010486.jpg
    Comco, the master image is A3 at 300dpi so it's pretty big and looks very sharp as a desktop image. I'll gladly make you a desktop version if you let me know your screen resolution. Or should i just post a large version here that anyone can download, if they want to. I'm not sure of size restrictions or rules here anymore :confused: I'll look into it, and sort something out. Cheers :D

Cheers Wiz, yeah, it's been a while. I've been busy working on completey non-scifi stuff as i've begun doing freelance 3D illustration for an agent as well as my full-time graphic design stuff so i've had nothing to post unfortunately. Busy times, thankfully.
    Glad you like the finished image, it's been a long time coming :) I couldn't decide on the finished angle for a while. I spent so much time modelling and painting the rear of the snowspeeder it seemed a shame for it to be hidden in the end. It was a good exercise in UV mapping and texture painting though, not a photo texture in sight :p I hope all's good with you too and that TT are keeping you busy :thumb:
    Bar wrote: »
    Hey!
    I was totally unclear about my build. I am building one in 1/20 scale that i can hold in my hand and fly around the room making blaster noises!
    I have the main shape done. There is about three days work in this(But i haven't been able to work on it for the last few weeks due to work:

Hi Bar, i took it that you were 3D modelling this, sorry mate. That looks great! I've still got my original palitoy Snowspeeder sat on my desk next to my monitor and yours looks like a similar scale. I'd love to see that finished, i hope it doesn't take as long as my 3D version to complete!:cool:
    Hi Bar, i took it that you were 3D modelling this, sorry mate. That looks great! I've still got my original palitoy Snowspeeder sat on my desk next to my monitor and yours looks like a similar scale. I'd love to see that finished, i hope it doesn't take as long as my 3D version to complete!:cool:

Lol. It is the same size as the new Hasbro version, with the corrected details and removeable panels. I am tempted to make it a variant. Not a Rebel craft. It occurs to me that the craft would have been constructed for some other purpose, and retasked by the Rebellion as a lightweight attack bird.
    But i am at a loss right now to think of an alternate use for it...
  • ComcoComco317 Posts: 1,281Administrator
    The only thing I can think of would be towing cargo - hence the tow cables...