Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DESB Snowspeeder WIP

PabloPablo0 Posts: 0Member
edited December 2010 in Work in Progress #1
Hi everyone. Here's the snowspeeder i'm currently working on in Cinema4D i mentioned in my brief intro. I've been trying to use the studio model as reference and have been doing everything by eye, which has been far from easy. After a couple of years of learning 3D this is my first attempt at anything like this, but it wont be my last. The texturing is my favourite part of the process. Modelling and UV's in C4D/Bodypaint, textures painted in Pshop. I think i'm around 60% through this project. I still have some textures to add and have yet to complete the cockpit and rear gunner position.

Oh yeah, i've looked for forum rules about how/what to post but i didnt find anything. I do hope i'm not breaking any rules and that this posting works :confused: My apologies for any newbie mistakes :)

(edit: aha! just found out the sizes and formats in the attachment window. Wow, you can upload some mega sized pics here!!)
75391.jpg
75392.jpg
75393.jpg
75394.jpg
Post edited by Pablo on
Tagged:

• dinosaurJRdinosaurJR0 Posts: 0Member
    This looks awesome! Im a low poly modeler, using MS3d, and I am stunned by the quality of the work on this site - this snowspeeder looks amazing.

sorry - I drooled a wee bit on my keyboard...

What is the poly count?

Also, hello! pleased to meet you, and your work!
  • PabloPablo0 Posts: 0Member
    dinosaurJR wrote: »
    This looks awesome! Im a low poly modeler, using MS3d, and I am stunned by the quality of the work on this site - this snowspeeder looks amazing.

sorry - I drooled a wee bit on my keyboard...

What is the poly count?

Also, hello! pleased to meet you, and your work!

Cool! I'm glad you like it:thumb: I'm a little nervous of posting here, some of the work is just incredible (fractalsponge in particular!).
    The poly count? I've no idea! I'm paying no attention to that, just trying to do the best job i can. It is only being created with still renders in mind so i'm not even considering such things. I've just bought an 8-core Mac Pro so it's handling it with ease, so no need for me to worry.
    Hello to you and thanks again! :) Thats a good first reply :D
  • liam887liam887322 SwedenPosts: 575Member
    nice start I wouldnt be worried about comparing your work to others here this is amazing!
    Wow an 8-core mac pro how much did that set you back im considering getting one in the new year, im running a mac book pro at the moment but it gets a bit sluggish with bigger models.
    Thanks mate :)
    The 8-core was bought to replace my old g5 iMac. It just couldn't cut it with the 3D apps, so i took the plunge and bought the 2.66 8-core with 8gbs of RAM & ATI 4870 card and the Apple 24inch LED monitor, plus a wacom intuos4 tablet. The Mac Pro alone came to Aï¿¡2700. It's money well spent, in my opinion. It's an absolute pleasure to work on. I've got to admit that i know nothing about computers though:rolleyes: i just know what to do with 'em :lol:
    kinda.
    Here's a close-up of the top of the canopy. A lot of the texture detail i've done can't be shown on the images i've previously uploaded. Please ignore the interior, thats definitely a work in progress!
    75398.jpg
  • liam887liam887322 SwedenPosts: 575Member
    Pablo wrote: »
    Thanks mate :)
    The 8-core was bought to replace my old g5 iMac. It just couldn't cut it with the 3D apps, so i took the plunge and bought the 2.66 8-core with 8gbs of RAM & ATI 4870 card and the Apple 24inch LED monitor, plus a wacom intuos4 tablet. The Mac Pro alone came to Aï¿¡2700. It's money well spent, in my opinion. It's an absolute pleasure to work on. I've got to admit that i know nothing about computers though:rolleyes: i just know what to do with 'em :lol:
    kinda.

ha its all looking good! Love the textures
    , yeah my macbook pro with 4GB or Ram came at just over Aï¿¡2000 it works a treat for my Graphic/Web design in Uni but need a bigger computer. When im at home ive got an intuos tablet and a 32" screen for my second monitor but I really need some more RAM
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    very awesome.
  • somacruz145somacruz1450 Posts: 0Member
    That's just amazing ! :thumb: Probably the best snowspeeder model I have ever seen. The texture work is unbeliveable so far.
  • WizWiz28 Posts: 0Member
    That is very nice work mate!
    That's just amazing ! :thumb: Probably the best snowspeeder model I have ever seen. The texture work is unbeliveable so far.
    Wiz wrote: »
    That is very nice work mate!
    very awesome.

Thankyou all very much. It took me a little while to post this on this forum as i'm still quite new to this 3D stuff, but your comments have given me a boost:thumb: I should have more renders before the end of the week. I've got a turntable movie rendering at home now, i'll see what i can do to get that up on the web.
    Thanks again :)
  • harry33harry33343 Posts: 0Member
    Awesome work!Lets chase Tauntauns with it!!!!! :)
  • deg3Ddeg3D0 Posts: 0Member
    Sweet. Got the practical model sitting over next to me. Nice work so far. :)

deg
  • SyklonSyklon0 Posts: 0Member
    That's some top-notch work so far. :thumb:
  • fractalspongefractalsponge254 Posts: 1,088Member
    That looks quite excellent. Welcome to the board.

And if you're looking for octal-core, I'd say build your own; I have a 2xquad 2.26 with 12gb of ram and a 4850, and it cost under US$2000.
  • Davide_sdDavide_sd4 Posts: 0Member
    very well done so far, nice modelling and great texturing!!! :)
  • ChrisGFXChrisGFX362 GermanyPosts: 607Member
    awesome!
  • GadzooksGadzooks171 Posts: 0Member
    Outstanding!
    Awesome modelling and texturing. It looks spectacular.

Always nice to see more C4D modellers too ;)
  • DCBDCB331 Posts: 0Member
    Nice work Pablo. I saw it the other day when I was browsing C4D Cafe for something. As Pyrocitor says, it's good to see another C4D user hereabouts.
    Well, I hardly know what to say to you all, except for a BIG thankyou for all the cool comments. It means a lot to me to have talented people such as yourselves say my work is pretty good :) I'm still just starting out, so this is a big boost to my confidence, thanks again!
    :thumb:
    I should be able to begin texturing the back this weekend so i'll post up more renders on Monday. I'm desperate to get into finishing off the cockpit and the rear gunner position. I also need to model and texture a helmet and gloves for the static scene i have planned. Then i have to texture a great AT-AT model i've been passed by a guy over on the C4D cafe. I've got a really nice scene in mind for it with the snowspeeder:)

Fractalsponge, thanks for the tip but i've been a mac user for longer than i care to remember now (never used a PC, ever), so i have all of my mac peripherals and software which i couldn't afford to replace, so i stuck with Mac. My 8-core, though expensive, is an awesome machine for what i am currently doing. I'm glad i bought it.
  • angusskyangussky0 Posts: 0Member
    Looks great. Like you can hop in a fly away
    I've not had much time to do anything major to this, but i've begun UV mapping the main guns and have done some small texture updates to the main hull. Some more damage, painted the small airscoop and have added over 250 bolts to the body panelling. Every little detail helps! :)
    75661.jpg
    Well I'm sure you know that it looks phenomenal ! :thumb: Although none of the Star Wars models featured bolts, I think they fit pretty nicely in here.
    Thanks :) Yeah, i am quite pleased with it, and it's only going to get better. I'm only around 70% through with the actual speeder, then i have the AT-AT and scene yet to add.
    As for the bolts, the original model from ESB has bolt marks all over it. I didnt notice them til i came across the photos. I've attached one to show.
    Thanks again!
    75662.jpg
    Whoah I didn't notice the bolts earlier and I must have watched Empire Strikes Back at least 20 times ! :o Anyway good luck with the scene, I'm sure you will handle it really well. Oh and your speeder just made me realise how crappy my old one was (an original design but still a Star Wars speeder) ... I think I will do a new one just because I'm jealous now :p
  • DCBDCB331 Posts: 0Member
    Pablo wrote: »
    As for the bolts, the original model from ESB has bolt marks all over it. I didnt notice them til i came across the photos. I've attached one to show.
    Thanks again!
    That looks like the Master Replicas model. The bolt/rivet detail on the actual studio models were a bit more subtle:

http://www.m-moeslund.dk/Snow/SnowSpeeder161.JPG

And of course they didn't have Aurebesh markings.

More pics here - Snow Speeder Reference
    Your doing a spectacular job on the texturing :thumb:

How many textures do you have, and what size maps are they?
  • StarshipStarship466 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,977Member
    Great work Pablo! Looks like a real snowspeeder. ;)
  • kippakippa0 Posts: 0Member
    I agree, it looks photorealistic. Very good job!
    DCB wrote: »
    That looks like the Master Replicas model. The bolt/rivet detail on the actual studio models were a bit more subtle:

http://www.m-moeslund.dk/Snow/SnowSpeeder161.JPG

And of course they didn't have Aurebesh markings.

More pics here - Snow Speeder Reference

This is where i'm getting my reference shots from
    Rebel Snowspeeder Studio Model (Grey Striped)

It says that this is the studio model and MR used this to make their version :confused:

Pyrocitor: Thanks for the compliment :) I've basically divided the main speeder down into workabale parts. I had no intention of attempting to do all this with one map because of the detail i was going to try and add. So, i made a 3000x3000 UV map of the main delta wing/hull, then 2000x2000 for the main rear engine 'pods', then 1500x1500 for the front 'gun pods', and so on. This way i could get in close and paint some marks, stains and chips that are barely visible in the rough render you've just seen. At the moment i think i have 6 main texture maps, but i've still got to do the rear of the vehicle, which is highly detailed, and then the main guns and the interior. Some of the interior i've still got to get into modelling. But i'm loving texturing this so much that the interior will just have to wait :)

Thankyou all for your very kind comments!!! :thumb: