Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DArtoo (again) :)

• ChrisGFXChrisGFX362 GermanyPosts: 607Member
    :lol::lol:
  • WizWiz28 Posts: 0Member
    LOL :)

All the best mate, have a good 'en :)
  • homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,891Member
    mverta wrote: »
    Mine is inaccurate to what I call the "hero" dome, (and to the dim's (dimensions) of an "averaged" dome we might derive by averaging the dimensions of all domes) by about 10%, I'd say. While all the domes vary somewhat, they're just not as off from each other as you'd expect considering they were done by hand. The 10% inaccuracy is spread out across many features - size and placement of panel cutouts, etc.

_Mike
    The Hero dome is the "official" R2, with the full-body props as "official" except where they contradict the Hero dome?
    Ok, so how much does your R2 and wiz's differ from the hero model? As they say, the devils in the details, and accuracy is always commendable....but sanity....ah, who cares! :D
  • mvertamverta171 Posts: 0Member
    The Hero dome is the "official" R2, with the full-body props as "official" except where they contradict the Hero dome?
    Ok, so how much does your R2 and wiz's differ from the hero model? As they say, the devils in the details, and accuracy is always commendable....but sanity....ah, who cares! :D

I'm not sure what you're saying here. Originally, there were several R2's. The configuration of legs/bodies/domes changed quite a bit. Arms would get taken on and off and put on other bodies from time to time, etc. If you really want to get anal (I have) you can track each leg and body as they go through the first movie. But in the end, there is very little variance between different legs and bodies. There is far more variance between different domes, though even then, it's impressive how consistent they are for being totally done by hand.

So in the end, what I call the "hero" dome I call so because it was seen the most, in the most "hero" shots in the movie, although its appearance changed radically over the course of filming, and in its current state in the Archives, is in the worst shape, and was completely incorrectly re-painted by someone at some point. All its electronics are falling out. It's sad, but it's unquestionably as much "THE" R2 dome as any.

Body/legs-wise, they've been through too much over the last 30 years to identify 100%, save for one body, which while seen prominently in Star Wars, probably couldn't be called the "hero" body. In fact, it would be hard to call any one body/legs "hero" because of how much they changed. But the "hero" dome showed up all of them at some point. The "official" blueprints for the legs and body are pretty darn close - especially if you're going off later, fiberglass bodies/legs, versus the original aluminum. But the official dome dimensions out there are off by about 20%, I'd say. Mine is off by about 10% I'd say. But my CG body/legs use measurements very close to club blueprints, minus a few "aluminum original" dimensions I took off the originals while working on the Visual Dictionary.

_Mike
    Ok, thats getting waay too anal for me, lol. But thanks for the explanation, give me a few days to work all that out :p
    Hope everyone had a great New Year! :)

Here is my first render of 2010, nothing fantastic, just trying the dome out under differing lighting and environments.

artoodome.jpg

Bonus points to anyone who can figure out what scene I set the dome in for the environment surrounding!

:)
  • DaAanDaAan331 Posts: 0Member
    tentative iv corridor
    bah made that to easy ;)
    hey ... he is looking good :)

For an environment try to use a "non Star Wars" HDRI. there are extreme good HDRI images out there for free and for good testing. If he looks good in a natural environment he will look good everywhere :)

Chris :)
    hey Chris, thanks mate, and yeah I have been doing that, I have been trying all different HDRI's; but thought I would stick him in a physical mesh environment just to see how the materials acted, and can see where it needs more (as ever) work :)
    Wiz wrote: »
    hey Chris, thanks mate, and yeah I have been doing that, I have been trying all different HDRI's; but thought I would stick him in a physical mesh environment just to see how the materials acted, and can see where it needs more (as ever) work :)
    R2 getting a tan in Honolulu? Come on Wiz, set up a beach-environment for our favorite droid!! :D
  • Jedi2016Jedi20160 Posts: 0Member
    First time viewing this thread (I've been away for a while). That is most impressive work. Artoo is one of those things that's always been on my "to-do" list, and you've given me some inspiration in surfacing.. knowing that such a realistic metal is indeed possible in CG-land. :) Excellent work.
    Hey Jedi2016, good to have you back ;)

Thanks for those very kind words, I have had a lot of help along the way on this one.

Check out such blogs below for some really useful titbits, information, tuts etc.

Jeff Patton Blog

zap's mental ray tips

Tutorials List. THINK! The Maxwell Render Resourcer Center.

These have been invaluable to me with working with Artoo :)

Wiz.
  • gm2378gm23780 Posts: 0Member
    I absolutely love the work you've done on bringing this little guy to life!
    Hey chaps,

@gm2378
    Thanks mate :)

Working on a few other projects (will start a new thread to accomodate :)), but as ever came back to play with Artoo; and continuing to try out different lighting solutions to see how the materials hold up...

This is using MR Sun, MR Sky, please ignore the detailing in the textures as this is still WIP; this is more about seeing how the base materials hold up.

artoodome.jpg

On another note, went to see Avatar for the second time today and simpy WOW!

And again on another note, watching Star Trek on blu ray, waiting to see Artoo come flying by in the debris :)
  • BinkermanBinkerman0 Posts: 0Member
    @Wiz:

Yep AVATAR, ... Fantastic movie :cool: .... But I bet you didn't know this was cut from the movie ...

Jas

LOL awesome, I was looking at that wondering where you got the shot of Artoo from in that pose; and realised it was one of my own renders lol :cool:

Well stuck at home today waiting on a delivery so played some more :)

Artoo out for his morning constitutional on Tatooine :)

artoodesert.jpg

Using MR Sun/Sky to light it.

• BinkermanBinkerman0 Posts: 0Member
    Yep it's one of your R2 renders I used .... Looking at your latest post of the tatooine shot, ... to be honest mate, and joking aside, ... He really does look done, ... Going by that render, ... to me, that could pass for the real thing ....

Using that setup you have with MR, ... do a more interesting Tatooine shot, with maybe the Lars homestead buildings and a couple of moisture vaporators in the distance behind him and one closer to him ,...

Personally, If I made an R2 and it looked like that, i'd be happy with it, .... no need to tweak until 2039 :p

Nice work mate :thumb:

Jas
    Thanks Binkerman :), and yeah he is nearing his done stage (for this pass ;)), although you do realise if I ever actually finish Artoo the world would end... :P

I like the idea of the Tatooine scene (especially with the results I am getting with this lighting solution:)); was thinking as you suggested the Lars homestead or even Jabba's palace, always loved that big door :)

So thanks for the idea, a future scene or two definitely in the minds eye there!

Another fun shot, but it is as you get close up you can see where there is a lack of detailing, which is all that is left to do now for this pass :)

artoodesert01.jpg
  • kindrakindra171 Posts: 0Member
    Very, very nice.. something for me to aim for rofl
    damn great work so far!
    Thanks guys, very much appreciated!

Well more detailing and stuff to come :)
    you mean hes not done yet? :D
  • mvertamverta171 Posts: 0Member
    Wiz -

You're very close to my mental ray version! Time to go to Maxwell and stop wasting time :)

About the alu dome (not sure if I've said all this before): your anisotropic reflection is too smooth/narrow. It's a bit rougher, even at it's shiniest, and the isotropic reflection is subtler. Like, it takes a fairly powerful hot spot to register in the isotropic reflection, but the aniso reflection is usually what dominates. Make sure that the reflection (in either case) doesn't darken at the edges.

Anyway, looks great; I have to go update mine now :)

_Mike
    Wow, I have inspired Mike to update his Artoo, now that is praise indeed :)

I see what you mean about the alu dome, and will give it another visit (not had time lately to play with Artoo, several other projects keeping me busy)...

Actually on that note check out my latest work project - http://www.starwars.com/games/videogames/news20100209lego/index.html

I am producing the handheld versions, so getting to play in the Star Wars universe at work, its a hard job, but somebody has to do it ;)

Ok a few tweaks, so here is a quick render

r2domehdri3.jpg

Also one of the other projects I speak off is renovating my house, which means all my funds are tied up this year in that, so unfortunately no Maxwell :(

I am planning the work on the house in 3D first, so the contractors cant screw it up (will see, I dont have much luck when it comes ot contractors),... Oooh on that note (there I go again) here is a quick render, and of course I had to throw in Artoo (in very much wip plan for the backroom downstairs)...

r2d2house.jpg

* Actually on that note check out my latest work project - http://www.starwars.com/games/videog...ego/index.html *

Your doing this games? :) nice!

In my eyes the dome looks great!

Chris :)
    Thansk matey :) and yep doing a LEGO Clone Wars game, or moreover Star Wars III as it is being billed.
    Dammit, now I have to go work on mine again.. lol. I started modeling about a month ago, got done with one foot, hated it, and will probably scrap it and start over.

Looks awesome, as usual. :) That second render almost looks like a photograph!
    Thanks matey, and dont worry about starting over, Artoo has had so many start overs he wouldnt recognise himself (hope that made sense :lol:) :)
    Nah, I know exactly what you mean. :)

And it's really my own fault.. I was almost done with the foot and attempted to "fix" something that didn't really need fixing, and only made it worse.. lol. Doesn't need a total rebuild, though, just some bits and pieces. And, of course, my need for insane detail.. I'm rounding edges that are like 0.1mm wide.. lol. I'm hoping the rest of him won't be as troublesome as the foot was.. there's some odd shapes and blends going on there. Good news is that I only have to build one foot, I can cut/paste to cobble together the middle one. :)