Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DArtoo (again) :)

WizWiz28 Posts: 0Member
edited June 2010 in Work in Progress #1
Hey all,

Other thread was closed, so started a new one :)

Well I am taking a break from some of the other projects (mainly interiors for Descendents of Order 66 - Tantive IV, Falcon type cockpit, Star destroyer hangar, they are certainly keepin me busy :)), and IG-88. So I can revisit an old favourite :)

He has a whole new dome, I have improved(?) the metal materials and given him an all new blue paint shader.

artoo.png
artoo1.png

I am working on new legs at the moment, unfortunately updates as ever will be few and far between as I have to get back to the other stuff (although should be able to post some shots up of that work when they are completed).

As ever, hope you likes and aint bored of this fella yet :)

Cheers,

Wiz.
82416.jpg
Post edited by Wiz on
Tagged:

• homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,891Member
    yay! I love this guy, cant wait to see you (finally) finish him :)
    cheers, mate!
  • somacruz145somacruz1450 Posts: 0Member
    Nice ... :runs:

Seriously, that's absolutely gorgeous, maybe even more than the actual model :D Are you using any normal or displacement maps for this one or is it mostly polygons with some bump/specular textures ?
  • Shadowknight1Shadowknight10 Posts: 0Member
    You're kidding us right, you just somehow took pictures of the actual studio model, right? Right?

That is absolutely gorgeous work there.
  • WizWiz28 Posts: 0Member
    Thanks guys for those very kind words :)

I am using only bump and spec maps (however moving the odd vert here and there to avoid straight lines). I will post some examples of the textures up later today when I am back at home :)
  • BinkermanBinkerman0 Posts: 0Member
    It's a great model paul :thumb:, ... The only thing that seems a bit flat is the Alum Dome ... Also he's missing his pal, ... Get on with 3PO damn it, .. Otherwise its back to Shady Acres for you :P ...

Jas
    @Binkerman:
    Many thanks. Yeah the Dome, much more work to do on that, but here is a quick update.

It now works as a layered material, well layered as such as its using the composite material function in MR (thanks to Mike as always for kindly explaining his approach to the dome material).

Loads to do still, especially on the body area :) and 3PO will be back soon, dont worry (anything to keep me out of Shady Acres :P).

artoo1.png

And here is the dome texture (WIP)

dome.png

And here is the front body panel (very much WIP :P)

texturemaps.jpg

:)

Wiz.
  • somacruz145somacruz1450 Posts: 0Member
    Well WIP or not they still look better than what I can dish out :thumb: I'm totally looking forward to seeing more of this !
    Wiz wrote: »
    Loads to do still, especially on the body area :) and 3PO will be back soon, dont worry (anything to keep me out of Shady Acres :P).
    WE'RE DOOOMED!! :lol:
    You need to add a secret compartment in the dome for helium balloons to come out and inflate, and float him away. you must!! :p
    R2D2 does UP! (actually that would make a fun image, but not one for this month :P)

Another update, continiung to work on the dome metal

artoo1.png
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    Ive been really quiet on this board latly... but i have to speak up now.

Utterly fantastic work mate :D
  • deg3Ddeg3D0 Posts: 0Member
    Looks awesome dude, photo-real! Excellent work! :)

deg
  • ChrisGFXChrisGFX362 GermanyPosts: 607Member
    looks awesome, bud! looks like your reaching Mikes league :D

Chris
  • RAF-MXRAF-MX10 Posts: 0Member
    ...Another masterpiece, Wiz !!
    Fantastico amigo!!
  • Darth ZiggyDarth Ziggy0 Posts: 0Member
    Beautiful!
  • stonkystonky350 Posts: 489Member
    Agreed, excellent work!
    @Nutsy
    Nothing wrong with being quiet, I'm a bit of a browser myself really, and all it means is when you do speak up, people appreciate it even more (well that is the crap I tell myself anyway) :)

@deg3D
    Thanks mate, still much more to do though; I really wanna push Artoo next year, which should be easy as he is on wheels... ok, ok will get my coat...

@ChrisGFX
    Thanks for those kind words, and as ever is it Mike's continued need to improve his own (which I totally get) which drive's me crazy with envy; which in turn keeps me going with mine :P (so thank you Mike, and damn.. you!... ;)).

So anyway Chris, waiting for updates on yours, don't think you are getting away with leaving Artoo to gather dust (he won't let you) :)

@RAF-MX
    It is not finished yet ;), getting close to cutting one of my ears of though, and loving the stuff you are doing on Order 66 mate! :)

@Darth Ziggy
    Mucho gracious!

@stonky
    Thanks matey!

Well I have been messing (as ever) with the blue paint, the material now is taking on a life its own, and becoming more of a monster, right now it is (deep breath):-

** A Blend material - Containing the below:

Material 1: Base Metal material
    Material 2: A composite material containing the below:

Composite material:
    - Base material
    Blue metallic paint (please ignore the exaggerated textures; these were knocked up quickly to test the shaders).
    - Mat.1:
    Clear Gloss coat

The top level blend material having a Mask where I have (very roughly cut out the scrapes and scuffs that will expose the metal material underneath).

radareye.png

Well more to come.. as the madness continues ...

Wiz.
    *droools* :thumb:
    Haha, thanks Homer :)

A quickie update, continiung to improve the dome metal and the blue paint.

More of the dirt showing through now on the dome (keeping a high spec shine whilst a now having a lower reflection which means the dirt layer isnt getting so washed out).

The blue pain, oops I mean the blue paint is working "better" although I am using a generic scratch damage texture for all the blue bits at the moment whilst I tweak (the clear coat layer still isnt working as I would like).

Other metals on the body etc. still are not correct, so on I go.

Anyhoo, here you go :)

artoo.png
  • Ice-DragonIce-Dragon0 Posts: 0Member
    Awesome work there Wiz

If you still have all of your other R2's then when this one is done you should post a pic with them all in line from first to last:D
    Thanks Ice-Dragon, and not a bad idea, would have dig back through my hundreds of Artoo files to get them, but will see if my archives are still alive :)

Just another quick update, stuck at home today so just did some more busting up of the blue paint (more scrapes, need to add wear and tear on the paint surface) and also dirtying up the dome metal...

artoo.png
  • PabloPablo0 Posts: 0Member
    That's some great wear and tear detailing there. I love the little dent in the dome too. I'm looking forward to the finished version :)
    Thanks Pablo, and I have loads more to add, not even got started on the body yet :)
  • Dr. JonesDr. Jones0 Posts: 0Member
    this last render looks really good, getting closer to Mr. Verta's standards
    haha thanks mate, I figure I am running about 2 years behind :P, but getting there...
    If only Mike would stop improving his I would stand a bloody chance :)
    Very, VERY nice!!!! R2 has always been one of my favourites (I still remember very clearly buying the action figure when I was 7 years old :) ) and you're definitely doing him justice. :thumb:
    Thanks Stonky.

I remember the figure well too; running out with my weekly spends (allowance to the yanks) to buy him...

Ah the memories... (you got me all meloncholy now :P).

More starwars memories relived here :)

YouTube - 30 Years of Star Wars - Part One
    Love the youtube link! Hey, maybe I should do a CG version of the action figure...:)
    I say go for it, if it is anything like the Lego work you did it will be spot on :) (plus would be great to have a desktop of the little fella as his original figure :))
  • GlazyGlazy333 Posts: 0Member
    Awesome work mate !! R2 rules !!!