Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DKoensayr Y Wing

JWWrightJWWright171 Posts: 0Member
edited December 2010 in Work in Progress #1
Heavily armed, well armoured... slower than other fighters, but she packs a punch and can take a real beating.

Starting with the nacelle, there is a 2D diagram available for reference, but I'm pretty sure its very inaccurate. So, I'm modelling from the wide variety of modeling resources and sort of averaging the details between them, since they're all very different.

Does anyone know where there is any info regarding the landing gear on these old birds?
86287.jpg
Post edited by JWWright on
Tagged:

• somacruz145somacruz1450 Posts: 0Member
    Looking really great so far ! :thumb: Y-wing is one of my favourite ships, although I think that the slow speed in games made it one of the less pleasant to use. Anyway, the only problem I see is with the transition from the front cap to the main engine hull (it's not a nacelle :p).
    I wish I could help you with the landing gear but I have no idea where it goes. Unfortunately it wasn't present in any of the games I played so can't even take a guess.
    BTW you are doing the standard, non-armored version ?
  • JWWrightJWWright171 Posts: 0Member
    Stripped down ANH version, work done on the cockpit hull.

Are there any Johnston sketches from the SW sketchbook online that show the YWing concepts?
    Engine detail and wing assembly.
  • L2KL2K0 Posts: 0Member
    hehe :D
    now its coming up crunchy :D
    Paneling is a real pain... I wonder if there is an easier way to do it?
    Working on the main hull...
  • YIIMMYIIMM179 Posts: 96Member
    Very impressive so far :thumb:

I once tried making a Y-wing model (never finished it) and found a few scratch built models with a fair bit of detail if you're stuck for ideas for greebles:

Some good references here
  • ChrisGFXChrisGFX362 GermanyPosts: 607Member
    very good and clean modeling ... keep it up! :)

Chris
    Thanks guys! And thanks for the references from Starshipmodeler, I love that site.

More soon, just got a freelance assignment and as alway, it's paycheck before pleasure...

I'll be back on this asap.
  • BAKMSBAKMS0 Posts: 0Member
    A very good start on the Y-Wing.
    I have always enjoyed the Y-Wing and wish someone to re-create a VERY DETAILED model of it.

I have built the Y-Wing plastic model from Fine Model which is the BEST model of the Y-Wing.

I still have the instructions on the model and I can scan it if you wish.

Here is a link to the model off HLJ site.
    1/72 Y-Wing
    Thanks! Fine molds is awesome, I have a roomful of model kits I have yet to touch... who has time?

Are the model instructions digital? I'd love to see them!
    I will have to scan them. Should not be a problem.
    I will post them tonight.

Sorry for the delay.
    Only if it's not too much trouble, I appreciate it!
    I have attached the scans.
    I hope these help

There is a scan of the Landing gear too.
    If you need a anymore specific areas reply back.

bA
    Y-Wing.zip
    BAKMS wrote: »
    I have attached the scans.
    I hope these help
    Y-Wing.zip

Thanks, man!

Those references are awesome, and very helpful!
  • somacruz145somacruz1450 Posts: 0Member
    That's looking absolutely awesome - the details are fantastic ! :thumb:
    I think I've figured out why I havent seen too many of these on the board, the greebs are maddening...
  • kippakippa0 Posts: 0Member
    Awesome work! I love the Y Wing from Star Wars so much. How many hours have you put into this so far?
  • J.WildeJ.Wilde0 Posts: 0Member
    Greeblelicious!

I envy the people who have the patience to go to these lengths of greeble madness.
    many hours... I think I model fairly quickly, but man, the hours disappear quickly. Is that unusual? Sometimes I think it's just me.

I admire people with the patience to do all those greebs, too... oneday I might be one of them, but it isnt today... what a chore!

Quick update... well, quick to post, but just this bit of modeling took ages, it seems. I'm re-using instances of some basic shapes to speed up the build, but still, it feels like eons pass...
    Looking GREAT !!
    looking great! what 3D app your using?

damn ... I need to make a y-wing someday too ;) LOL

Chris
    Thanks guys! I'm using Cinema4D, normally I'm a Max user, but modelling in C4D is so much faster. At least for me.
  • JBJHJMJBJHJM0 Posts: 0Member
    JWWright wrote: »
    Thanks guys! I'm using Cinema4D, normally I'm a Max user, but modelling in C4D is so much faster. At least for me.

Hey that's what I think, too!
    max is a cool program, but C4D has a bunch of great and fast modelling tools, all usable via a single click or - for me - via a shortcut...
    I'm also working with instances, I made an own greeble-file which now includes about 200 (sometimes I create a new one for a special position on a model, and if the greeble's cool, I save it in the "greeble-library".
    If I begin every greeble "from scratch" ...then you're right, it would take loooong time.
    Just if you're interested - this http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/434418-post166.html was my basic greeble library, some of them created from scratch, some found in the web, real models, some were inspired by Fractalsponge :cool: :D ... I even use some re-made (too many polys or bad quality) greebles of the downloadable nurnies-pack. I use them for ~80% of all details.

told enough... the Y-Wing looks great, shield generator already is ready-to-activate :D , are you going to create textures?
    C4D Rocks! ... I'm a Cinema 4D user too ... most ppl knows :P

so keep up the great work !

Chris
    I am so going to grab that greeble library, how awesome, thanks!

I may do textures, I need the practice. I might texture my Mark IX Hawk model, first, I meant to this winter anyway... and maybe add some landing gear to that old girl, too...

Yeah, I use C4D more and more, still rely on Max to animate, and use the Swift3D plugin... which I love.

One thing I do love about Max, i the ability to add modifiers to a stack, it seems in C4D you dont get to modify anything too far, without making a final mesh... ah well, it's all a trade off.

I'll have an update soon.... more chunky goodness comin'!
  • Knight-TemplarKnight-Templar0 Posts: 0Member
    Great work my friend another C4D user, i might even make a greeble library myself, it surely would cut down on modelling time
  • JBJHJMJBJHJM0 Posts: 0Member
    JWWright wrote: »
    I am so going to grab that greeble library, how awesome, thanks!

...still rely on Max to animate...

But there's one thing I should have mentioned about greeble libraries:
    They are great for big ships, because they often really have the same modules and technics here and there. But for a small fighter I think it will look crazy to use the same greebles a dozen times...

To ...still rely on Max to animate...:
    But there's one feature I love C4D for - XPresso. A few nodes, a few digits, and already I'm able to control a dozen of complicated mechanical movements -like for example opening some portholes, activating landing gears while moving the exit platform- with just one slider!
    I wondering if you have an update on the Y-Wing.
    Nah, not yet, between my latest freelance assignment and my girlfriend dragging me off to do stuff I, havent had the chance to add anything to it. I hope to soon.