Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DAt-at

stonkystonky350 Posts: 489Member
edited January 2014 in Work in Progress #1
Given all of the terrific reference available today (thanks Jedilaw!), I've been updating my AT-AT. When I first started the model about 5 years ago there wasn't nearly as much good reference available as there is today, and it showed. Here's where the new legs are:

attachment.php?attachmentid=70888&stc=1&d=1248023232

attachment.php?attachmentid=70889&stc=1&d=1248023245

More to come!
104326.jpg
Post edited by stonky on
Tagged:

• somacruz145somacruz1450 Posts: 0Member
    Another great Star Wars model from you ! :thumb: I have a feeling that they seem a bit bulkier than usual but I'm not a perfect person to talk about that :p Everything looks solid and that's what matters. BTW is this a completely new model or are there parts from 5 years back ?
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1120 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,573Member
    Awesome... I love the AT-AT.
  • Road WarriorRoad Warrior207 Posts: 815Member
    It looks great Terry. But then again if you made something it would be impossible to look otherwise. How far along are you on this so far? And can we look forward to see an animation when you're finished? Possibly with that dead-on Scout Walker of yours thrown in as well for good messure?

Take it easy man.
  • IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
    what reference are you using? I've done one of these myself (from what I thought was one of the models used in the movie), and certain parts have turned out different to yours
  • ChrisGFXChrisGFX362 GermanyPosts: 607Member
    looks great!

From where you got the reference images? They are not available from 3DSciFi anymore:(

maybe there is another place to get them?

Chris
  • aylaa12aylaa120 Posts: 0Member
    great start
  • Ice-DragonIce-Dragon0 Posts: 0Member
    Awesome work on your AT-AT so far :thumb:
  • WizWiz28 Posts: 0Member
    Looking good, nice detailing!
  • stonkystonky350 Posts: 489Member
    Thanks all!

@somacruz145: It's a completely new build, I'm not even referring to the old one - it didn't quite have the right proportions and I had made some terrible modelling decisions to which I'll never confess. :)

@BolianAdmiral: Thanks, much appreciated!

@Road Warrior: Thank you, it's moving right along, I've got the head and the body roughed in, and I'm working on detailing the body now. Animation is definitely in the cards - I rigged and animated the earlier version so I've got it mostly worked out. Like the AT-ST, the rig was deceptively complex, given the rotation and compression of the foot, for example. I think that I posted this example in another thread somewhere:

AT-AT Walk Example

@IRML: It becomes clear very quickly that there are a lot of differences between the various shooting models of the AT-AT (even amongst the same scale), and that some were articulate while others were solid casts. I'm using a bunch of sources for reference material, including my own photographs and pages like this one:

AT-AT Studio Model

I try to be very careful when using photographs for reference in order to avoid accidentally building any photographic phenomena into the model.

@ChrisGFX: Thank you! Have a look at the reference page above, and just search around the net for other stuff. The Star Wars Chronicles book was helpful as well.

@aylaa12: Thank you!

@Ice-Dragon: Thanks!

@Wiz: Cheers!
  • DCBDCB331 Posts: 0Member
    Coming along nicely there stonky. And damn, that link is a mighty fine resource for anyone wanting to try their hand at an AT-AT, not to mention the other studio models they have pics of.
    WOW ... Great ref material! Thank you very much.

The walk animation is cool too :)

Chris
    Thank you!

Work marches on (so to speak):

attachment.php?attachmentid=70886&stc=1&d=1248022851
  • aylaa12aylaa120 Posts: 0Member
    great work on the body
    Looks great Stonky.
  • IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
    stonky wrote: »
    @IRML: It becomes clear very quickly that there are a lot of differences between the various shooting models of the AT-AT (even amongst the same scale), and that some were articulate while others were solid casts. I'm using a bunch of sources for reference material, including my own photographs and pages like this one:

AT-AT Studio Model
    you picked a better model than I did for your reference, it has quite a lot more detail than my one
    great work so far :)

Chris
    Very nice.
    Thanks all, you're too kind. :) I've got some more finished, I'll post some more images shortly. It's amazing how you can look at something for almost thirty years and then be completely surprised by how little you knew about it when you really start to pour over the details.

@IRML - you've been holding out on us, let's see some AT-AT renders. :)
  • MephMeph331 Posts: 0Member
    Yarr, stomping noises pop into my head when seeing this. :D

It's looking amazing mate.
    Thank you!

I've been crazy busy at work recently, so progress has been slow, but not stopped:

attachment.php?attachmentid=75148&stc=1&d=1259736223
  • WizWiz28 Posts: 0Member
    Hey its been a while Stonky, good to see you active again :)

And looking great mate, gotta love the AT-AT
    Thought it must have been a necro. I'm glad to see I was wrong. Nice to see you update this one stonky - keep at it.
    Hey Terry! Good to see you still at it man. The AT-AT looks simply fantastic bro!
    heh ... he is still alive :)

great work on the At AT

Chris :)
  • MephMeph331 Posts: 0Member
    Ow yeah, congratz on the resurrection, mate! :D
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1120 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,573Member
    Nice work on the AT-AT... looks great!
  • deg3Ddeg3D0 Posts: 0Member
    Way-cool, dude. Gotta love an AT-AT, eh. :)

deg
    Thanks all, it's good to be back. :) I'm hoping to start on the head soon, and then it'll actually look like something! :lol:
  • ST-OneST-One188 Posts: 293Member
    This is really great work. :)
    You're too kind.

It's officially embarrassing how slow this is going, let's play "spot the new polygons" :lol:):

attachment.php?attachmentid=81002&stc=1&d=1271622022

Slow and steady wins the race, right? Right??!! :)