Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DChildren of Sol WIPs

• AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    Aye, or as someone else put it once: "Size matters not!"
    ;)
    Nice work.
  • ParkerParker0 Posts: 0Member
    Great design for a very futuristic cannon with thrusters. At least I hope that there is a massive gun between the two "forks", vaporizing everything that dares to cross this ship's path.
  • limdaepllimdaepl171 Posts: 0Member
    Very nice design!
    Somewhat like a mass relay from mass effect, but that's not a bad thing. right? :)
  • dreamwalkerdreamwalker179 Posts: 189Member
    Parker wrote: »
    Great design for a very futuristic cannon with thrusters. At least I hope that there is a massive gun between the two "forks", vaporizing everything that dares to cross this ship's path.

It's a carrier, although it'll have strong forward weaponry, most of it will be in the form of DEW arrays with overlapping +170 degree firing arcs.

Progress so far...

About 50% complete.
    Still have a lot of detail, and major sections of the front and rear to complete.

Asgard-4-preview.jpg
  • OzylotOzylot332 Posts: 0Member
    I really like the Bentusi influence in the design. Great stuff!
  • SyklonSyklon0 Posts: 0Member
    I'm with Ozy, really liking where this one is headed.
    Indeed.
    It's a wonderful ship.
  • BerkutBerkut1 Posts: 0Member
    wow, amazing as your stuff usually is
  • DimitriyDimitriy0 Posts: 0Member
    Wow. Amazing how fast you go from a sketch to a detailed model.
  • AardwolfAardwolf171 Posts: 82Member
    Are you going to be sticking with this white / light silver look, or do you have another color scheme in mind for later on?
    Aardwolf wrote: »
    Are you going to be sticking with this white / light silver look, or do you have another color scheme in mind for later on?
    It's going to be mainly how it is, with some light reflective map textures dirt/bumb maps and some red details.

Progress with 90% done...

Asgard-5-preview.jpg

Any comments, crits for the next model or suggestions of things to add to this one?

The rendering environment is set for daylightish, I'll do a night time render soon.
    That is extremely cool! Nice work!
    I want a vertical ships, because their sheer awesomeness wins wars.
    Maybe something with EW-purpose, too.
  • tobiasrichtertobiasrichter333 Posts: 0Member
    this is coming along most excellent - great design!
    I want a vertical ships, because their sheer awesomeness wins wars.
    Maybe something with EW-purpose, too.

I've got a couple of "vertical" concepts already designed...

The one directly below is a "sentinel" which is a capital sized ew/recon vessel.
    2838e80ee940d1af5d5a48184e4ad9e3.jpg
    Kali_by_dreamwa1ker.jpg

Those designs are like the other golden ships i've made (see agni and varuna) Might be a while till I get round to them though.
  • edseds0 Posts: 0Member
    great design looks awsome ! :thumb:
  • J.WildeJ.Wilde0 Posts: 0Member
    The carrier looks sleek and deadly - as is pretty standard for your designs. A couple quibbles - it looks like you have a pair of large RCS thrusters fore and aft that would allow for yaw maneuvers, but nothing for pitch or roll. Intentional, or oversight, or are these objects on the hull not what I think they are? Also, given the narrow dorsal opening for fighters and other craft to leave and return by, this might create a disastrous bottleneck when trying to deploy or recover the ships.
    Remember that this beast is 4 km in length, there should be enough space for small fighters to operate.

I see influences from EVE and Star Wars when looking at the two designs.
    J.Wilde wrote: »
    The carrier looks sleek and deadly - as is pretty standard for your designs. A couple quibbles - it looks like you have a pair of large RCS thrusters fore and aft that would allow for yaw maneuvers, but nothing for pitch or roll. Intentional, or oversight, or are these objects on the hull not what I think they are? Also, given the narrow dorsal opening for fighters and other craft to leave and return by, this might create a disastrous bottleneck when trying to deploy or recover the ships.
    With your first point, yep that was an oversight which I've just corrected although this vessel also contains huge gyro's that aid in the precise heading alterations required for space flight and warp.

With your second, the carrier has 2 main operating profiles, unassisted, in which fighters egress and dock exiting the carrier through the nearest opening without travelling the length of the craft. The assisted profile requires the fighters to travel down the hanger receiving additional acceleration/deceleration via the high-bypass launch mass drivers. In the second configuration, fighters and dock and launch at the same time travelling through the shaft. (bear in mind the scale of the carrier in relation to the fighters! the each of the individual hanger bays are about 70m in length)
    I see influences from EVE and Star Wars when looking at the two designs.
    My influences are pretty numerous, mainly halo, homeworld, a bit of star wars and eve, some times even a little bit of star gate. The carrier has strong Kadeshi and Benstui (homeworld) influences, my last fighter was inspired a lot from Goa'Uld (stargate) and covernant (halo) ships and weapons....

He's some lighting tests... (apologies for the low res)

asgard-a-preview.jpg

I may increase the brightness and reduce the saturation of the lights somehwhat for the final scene...

I might not be able to work on a new model for a month or so, however i'll be drawing/sketching plans for fighters, and cruisers of the same manufacturer of this cruiser...

Just out of interest, which would you guys prefer I did next? (check here for a full listing)
    wow, already in low-poly, this thing is a great floating awesomeness...
    This is the scene i'm working on, the original was created at 10,000px by 5000px.
    markersofdomain-m.jpg

Any comments/crits? I might work on the stars a little more before releasing on Friday.
  • ctaylorctaylor0 Posts: 0Member
    Great design.
  • TrekMDTrekMD192 Posts: 639Member
    Very nice artwork and design!
  • SyklonSyklon0 Posts: 0Member
    Just a thought on the background, with that faint horizontal line in the middle it makes it look like you're looking at the side of an asteroid field with the ships moving vertically, rather than looking downward at the ships while they move horizontally over something, which I feel like would be the more conventional perspective for ships of this size, if that makes sense? Regardless, sweet image.
  • soulburn3dsoulburn3d1 Posts: 0Member
    The image looks cool, I'm not 100% on the composition though. You basically have your 2 focal points right in the center of the piece, with then a lot of extra canvas on each sides. Maybe move the left ship a little further left, and maybe add a sun or some other focal point to the right of the middle ship, to try and balance out the ship on the left. Just suggestions, the mood of the piece of model itself are both excellent.

- Neil
    That's Beautiful!
    Syklon wrote: »
    Just a thought on the background, with that faint horizontal line in the middle it makes it look like you're looking at the side of an asteroid field with the ships moving vertically, rather than looking downward at the ships while they move horizontally over something, which I feel like would be the more conventional perspective for ships of this size, if that makes sense? Regardless, sweet image.
    Well I did mull on this version for a while however the concept and name of the piece required a certain symbolism that would be better served by having the ships in the orientation shown in the composition.
    soulburn3d wrote: »
    The image looks cool, I'm not 100% on the composition though. You basically have your 2 focal points right in the center of the piece, with then a lot of extra canvas on each sides. Maybe move the left ship a little further left, and maybe add a sun or some other focal point to the right of the middle ship, to try and balance out the ship on the left. Just suggestions, the mood of the piece of model itself are both excellent.

- Neil
    When I first starting doing this type of artwork I felt compelled to load spaces of the image with features and objects however cutting back, providing a little bit more negative space so that more attention is given to the subjects of the piece. As you can tell, the main source of light is coming off frame, adding a star on the right would totally mess the existing lighting in the scene.
    I'll probably be working on another scene with this ship though so I'll be shaking up the composition next time round.
  • soulburn3dsoulburn3d1 Posts: 0Member
    When I first starting doing this type of artwork I felt compelled to load spaces of the image with features and objects however cutting back, providing a little bit more negative space so that more attention is given to the subjects of the piece.

I wasn't trying to suggest you load the canvas with stuff, keeping things a little more minimal is fine, I'm just commenting on the placement of the objects that you do have in the scene, and felt they're a little unbalanced. But feel free to explore the possibilities in a future piece :)

- Neil

PS: Just notice the final image you posted in the other thread, I think moving the closer ship a bit to the left definately helps.
    arkjayceon.jpg
    Quick render of a WIP
  • AardwolfAardwolf171 Posts: 82Member
    Looks like the sort of thing which calls for procedural LOD/detailing... the carrier was 4 km long, wasn't it?