Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DClub SFM - Dumpster

• DannageDannage236 Posts: 634Member
    Hey, I thought I was the only one writing in this thread, heh heh.

Thanks for the notes guys.

Cavebear, I agree the vehicle does look a little front heavy, though bearing in mind the engine block and so on are behind the first set of wheels and it's only the cabin up front, I don't think that is too dramatic. From a purely aesthetic point of view, I myself wanted to move the cabin back a little bit in any case as whilst I don't think it would necessarily tip up, I think it does look a little silly. :) So yeah, the modelled cabin will be a bit further back, or better balanced.. I hope.
    not much of an update since I was out tonight, but here's a start on the cab. I actually did some more gubbins in the engine block too, but you can't see any of that.. oh well. :)
    67697.jpg67698.jpg
  • cavebearcavebear179 Posts: 623Member
    Very nice! I'd like to see the side windows wrap around like in the drawing but I do like the cab :thumb:
  • Ice-DragonIce-Dragon0 Posts: 0Member
    thats a cool looking truck design:thumb:
    Actually, I checked the side view and the windows actually do wrap around. Perhaps not the main window in the middle, but yeah, I'll post a side view when I'm back on my home PC and you will be able to see. :)
    here you go. You will have to excuse the little orange 'paper hat', but I'm just starting to model the upper cab. :)
    67720.jpg
    Dannage wrote: »
    here you go. You will have to excuse the little orange 'paper hat', but I'm just starting to model the upper cab. :)

Okay it does :D. Now...what are your thoughts on the different size of the window in your drawing compared to your model? I kind of like the size change to the smaller one. Maybe you can add a smaller window or increase the length of the window you have but put a jog in it like the enclosed pic.
    Well, I was away for the weekend and I wasn't going to have time to do any work on this tonight but the guys I was giong to see cancelled, so I got to spend some time building, yay.

I had begun to dislike the way the cab was going for a little while before the last post or two, and so rebuilt her from scratch today and I'm much happier.
    67945.jpg67946.jpg67947.jpg67948.jpg
    Here's the truck with trailers again and, for fun, I did a really big render to show the scale of truck versus the other two models in the set so far!
    67949.jpg68010.jpg
    Well, I took a break, I did some things, then I came back and made a start on the Ark. Essentially another transport and a background ship (She was actually going to be the setting for the second 'mini-series') the Ark was just going to be in orbit of Amarova for the first show.

A very large ship, the Ark effectively had three 'classes'. The rich stayed in the central body, in the luxurious surroundings of effectively a 5 star hotel. On the side pods were your slightly less wealthy travelling business class and for those of you who could hardly afford the trip across star systems, let alone afford to eat on the journey, the ship has 'steerage' in the back in the form of rings of cryo-pods.
    67968.jpg67969.jpg
    Got sent home from work, and then they stuffed my remote access. So while I was waiting, did a little bit more.
    68008.jpg68009.jpg
    I wish I knew what I was looking at so I could give you some kind of comment. Do you have any drawings?
    Drawings or reference material for all this set of WIPs are in the backround picture. :) Not very clear, but then the drawins aren't being adhered to lovingly... To be honest, I wish I had kept the images of UnholyTrinity's WIP of this, since he had some amazing ideas which will now be lost forever. ho hum..

The model is so far engines at the back.

The 'cut' in the side view is because it was supposed to havea long neck to which to attach pods, but I wanted to show the front and back bits of the model instead.
    68057.jpg68058.jpg
    Okay, decided I was going a bit too bitty detail for the other models and have gone back to the Steve Tyler method of putting blocks where the final shape should be. Of course, the thing about Steves first placeholder blocks is they always look better than my finished meshes, but meh, you want quality, look at another guys models.:D
    68065.jpg68066.jpg68067.jpg68068.jpg
    Okay, now I see how it all looks :). I have to tell you that your habitat rings look great. In fact they look a lot better than the basic shape of the front end of the ship :eek:.

I'm hoping that you will be improving upon the original look as you see how it shapes up in 3d.

So: engine end = OK, middle hab rings = fantastic, Front end = Blaa (for now :D)

Also I would like to see the antenna farm on the bottom look less like a forest of trees getting in each others way. Maybe fewer antennas but bigger and/or more detailed.

So far I do like it and would also like to see the ships VIP shuttles for those excursions that are always popular :D
    I dunno, are you not liking the placeholder for the front section, or the original drawing? :D

The habitat rings are my first 'cheat'. When I did the original drawings I did that side view and missed out the rings in the middle, then I actually built them, so I could show what I meant. All I did last night was import em. That's why they look detailed where all the other placehoders and empty! :)
    Oh, and about the shuttles, I should probably explain more about the ship itself, or the entire universe, but I don'[t have time right now. Suffice to say this is less a tour bus, more of a cruise ship... but without the excursions.

Basically, the universe is slightly less fantastical than things like trek and Star wars and in my universe there are a handful of solar systems populated and travelling between each one takes weeks to months. The Ark is a ship which travels intra-system and, as such, essentially parks in a solar system for 3 weeks while it gets loaded up. Travels in a straight line without stops for the next few weeks/months, then parks at the other end and unloads for a few weeks, then repairs/services/refuels and then starts again.

The rings are actually big chunky cryo-stores, where the 'standard' class intra-system way to travel, is to be frozen/slowed down, spend the journey unconscious in a little box and wake up the other side. That's why the front is trying to look a bit grandiose, because those people who are awake for those weeks are going to concerts, eating 5 star meals, etc etc. :)

But, having rambled all that, shuttles would be an idea for loading the 'VIP' guests in at each end, avoiding the 'queues'... So who knows, I may add it to the list.
    The drawing was what I wasn't thrilled with because it looks to "soft" and a bit like a droopy marshmellow compared to the rings.

I like less fantastical universes too. I'm from the old school "Traveller RPG" days. Except I am not much for "force fields" and all the other magic stuff excepting of course, FTL, Artificail Gravity, Contra Gravity, Grav compensators and FTL Comms (which Traveller didn't have).

Oh, there are no such things as "transporters" in my stuff either :lol:
    Though I'm away I've borrowed my beloveds internet phone so I can still visit sfm, yay. I agree the front looks a bit out of shape with the back so I will have to make the design a bit more consistent, but the organic look -must- override the utilitarian look for this ship because of its luxury function. Guess we need some ideas from people on a shape, somethning like the super guppy maybe? :)
    *blows dust off* Okay, been over a month, but I've two hours to kill, lets see if I can't rekindle the old bird.
    mm, not sure where I was going here, but think I'm just making some interesting shapes which I'm then completely obscuring... makes..no...sense.. :)
    69682.jpg69683.jpg69684.jpg69685.jpg
  • Ice-DragonIce-Dragon0 Posts: 0Member
    Thats an interesting looking Ship you've started there Dannage:D
  • MephMeph331 Posts: 0Member
    No sense is often good sense! :D
    Yeah it's a bit of a random necro, but I didn't want to start another thread, so despite this being a bit less 'club sfm' and a bit more Games Workshop, I called the thread an effective sketch dump, so here we are...

In the physical modelling section, I showed off a 40K scale Imperial Guard Leviathan a little while back.

Now, I'm going to be making her in 3D, since she is currently in storage and I miss her. ;) ... I'm starting on COD sections, and will buid all the kit-bits I used separately, then start on all the insanity of the tank in good order.

Leviathan_WIP_001.jpg

Leviathan_WIP_003.jpg

Leviathan_WIP_004.jpg

Leviathan_WIP_005.jpg

Anyone got any good tips for modelling skulls starting with a box? :D
  • HaturodHaturod0 Posts: 0Member
    Dannage wrote: »
    Anyone got any good tips for modelling skulls starting with a box? :D

From what I've read, start with a plane, and start with the eyes and mouth for the best edge flow :)
    Heh, that's actually how I tried doing one yesterday, and it looked rubbish! :) I'll go hunting for some tuts. Cheers!
    Got a third section done too.

Leviathan_WIP_006.jpg

Leviathan_WIP_007.jpg

And a floor piece.

Leviathan_WIP_008.jpg

Technically none of those floor pieces are on the Leviathan, but it's worth buildin em anyway. ;) I'll end up with a city to which to put the Leviathan in. :)
    SKULLS!

Leviathan_WIP_009.jpg
    A fourth wall section, a start on some planetstrike kits, and the low wall from the administrantum, followed by a whole building. Woo hoo..

Leviathan_WIP_010.jpg

Leviathan_WIP_011.jpg

Leviathan_WIP_012.jpg

Leviathan_WIP_013.jpg
  • MephMeph331 Posts: 0Member
    Crickey! Splendid stuff man... instant walls for buildings, starships and even giant ground vehicles such a Leviathans etc etc...