Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DClub SFM - Dumpster

DannageDannage236 Posts: 634Member
edited February 2011 in Work in Progress #1
* * * * New * * * *

Yeah, dusting off the old 3D sketch-dump thread.

Times for some GW goodness..
85995.jpg
Post edited by Dannage on
Tagged:

• DannageDannage236 Posts: 634Member
    Here's all the other pictures I had of her, including some low detail models I did of the engines to explain what the drawings meant for the guy who was going to model this for us.

**edit - would help if I attached em **
    66878.jpg66879.jpg66880.jpg66881.jpg
    While I'm building this, any of you 2D artists want to come up with a decent snakey stereotypical medical symbol, I will happily put it on the cargo pods.
    Starter for ten.. or maybe two...
    66882.jpg66883.jpg
    More tomorrow, but for now...
    66886.jpg66887.jpg66888.jpg
    And I'm working my way to the back of the bus...
    66893.jpg66894.jpg66895.jpg66896.jpg
  • MephMeph331 Posts: 0Member
    Man, that's a cool looking ship! How come you changed the bridge section so much from the concept?
    Oooh, I didn't realise I had a soft copy of Nick's excellent image, here's his painting! (I should really put some of Nicks additions on, so this is also good for ideas, heh heh)

Also found my very first drawing of it.
    66897.jpg66898.jpg
    Meph wrote: »
    Man, that's a cool looking ship! How come you changed the bridge section so much from the concept?

The bridge section is full of curves, and I can only model straight lines. :runs:
    What program are you using?
    I'm using Max8. My lack of ability has nothing to do with my software. :D

Gotta go out and do adult stuff now, *sigh*. Here's a few bits on the front section.
    66900.jpg66901.jpg66902.jpg
  • ShinoharaShinohara171 Posts: 0Member
    Wow, been awhile since I've seen this baby. I like what you're doing with it. Looking a lot better than my old attempt at her. (I've got a bad habit of trying to build everything out of 1 subdivision surface.) Once I finish up my orbiter I may have to get back into this stuff with you now that I've got more free time.
    What name were you trading under before mate, I don't remember a Shinora.. :)

I did these updates yesterday but the site was down so I couldn't upload. Not a tremendous amount, I got me some more engine bits and some more minor detail at the front. I've also started with the textures and for the first time, I have tried leaving textures to much later in the WIP and also have used more than one instance of the material for different 'sides' of the pods... Not exceptionally professionally done, but probably my best efforts so far.

Now I just got to experiment to see if applying a noise map for dirt will mean the pods look a little different or whether they still look too uniform, cos if they do, I'll have to add new textures for different pods...

Note the tips of the hat on the pods to Nick's added details. :)
    67107.jpg67108.jpg67109.jpg67110.jpg
    Looking nice, looking nice... :)
    Cheers Meph. I've done a little more this evening. Not particularly impressed with the next set of textures, but I managed to re-use smoe textures I once did for a cargo bay and I wasn't expecting to do very well with the shape ofthe front!
    67121.jpg67122.jpg
  • Ice-DragonIce-Dragon0 Posts: 0Member
    Man this is a great looking ship I'm really digging the design, Great work:thumb:
    Thank ye kindly sir. :)

It appears to have taken up silly amounts of valuable modelling time to slap some lights on the engines, but hey ho, there were some textures added back there too... On the appeasing-you side, I decided to bring more attention to the engines by way of her first 'space' shot.
    67123.jpg67124.jpg
    Two more pictures today, though not much more modelled. I'm considering stopping where I am and releasing the mesh, see if anyone wants to make it pretty.

The first pic is the ship with two sets of pods instead of three. This was how the original sketches went, but when I started building her I figured space travel is expensive, so you're gonna want to put as much cargo as you can onto one 'delivery truck', which is essentially what this ship is.

As for the second picture, I thought I'd make a nice backgruond and try and make the mesh look a little more like Nicks painting.

Speaking of Nick, I've just visited his EXULA website again and my god that man is turning into a 2D -deity-.
    67160.jpg67161.jpg
    I'm still adding little bits here and there on the medical transport but I'm keen to keep the detail to a minimum. The IDC revolution starts here. :)

One of the background models was originally intended for group use. I built what I thought was a low poly ship then gave it to Glazy to texture, who then pointed out this was not at all low poly!

So, I've decided to do this one again, since it should give me some practice making some textures (though I'm cheating as the first 2 textures have already been stolen from my Atlas, heh heh) and should be quite straightforward to build quickly.

I started with some huge containers but then thought about modern day cargo ships and how they don't take immense containers because the vehicles that need to carry the stuff from the ports to the depots are never as big! So I'm going to opt ro replace 40 huge containers with perhaps 400 medium sized ones. Not really put much into this so far since I'm supposed to have left for London 3 hours ago... ahem...
    67185.jpg67186.jpg
  • NickNick0 Posts: 0Member
    Hey Dannage,

ItA’s great to see the Medical Frigate finally realized. YouA’ve done a really good job of taking your concepts and evolving them into a convincing ship model. Love the little details on the underside of the ship and the engineering section is especially pleasing.

ItA’s weird to see my old painting after all this time; to see where it all began. I must get some fresh Space Opera stuff going by the end of this year!

Now Dan, you just need to build that little support ship I spy attached to the side of the frigate ;P Come on, chop chop!
    The Manta wasn't a support ship. You clearly don't remember the plot. :)

That was a pirate ship, stealthily attaching itself to the hull, cutting it's way into the pod and planning on stealing expensive medical supplies. I think that is fifth or sixth on my list. The order is probably going to be:

Medical transport - Box Car Transport - Ark - Cargo Truck - Sword Frigate - Manta - Cassandra (Just to wind Martin up, heh heh)
    quick update. Without uvmapping, I could only really put my drawn textures on the sides and tops of the containers, so I added some 'dent'... meh... :thumb:
    67299.jpg67300.jpg
    ripes is that the time, gotta go, or the gf will kill me!
    67305.jpg67306.jpg67307.jpg
    You'd think I'd find something better to do with a day off work, on the bright side, I promised myself I'd not spend all day on this, so here's some more work, but not much.
    67379.jpg67380.jpg67381.jpg67382.jpg
    Hooray - Friiiiday...

Had some time to do some updates. Added a shuttlebay to the back, and more work on the crew section.
    67514.jpg67515.jpg67516.jpg67517.jpg
    Well, while I said at the top of the page I'd do the Ark next, I've decided since I was working on transporters, the next logical model would be the cargo truck. I don't think I've done a land based model since my 7th day of having Max (I started out by making one model a day for two weeks, and seeing how I progressed!)

All I have of the cargo truck is, of course, one simple sketch, because I wanted the builder to have freedom to add whatever details they wanted, so this is the only reference shot there is. :shiner:
    67557.jpg
    So, first off sized up the bits. Determined you could snugly (with plenty of space for extra plating and armour and gubbins) fit 550 'frames' inside one of the transporter cargo pods, 11 long by 10 across by 5 high stacks.

The frames interlock with one another for added stability and all have 'suspension' supports to give a bit of shock absorbtion. As for the truck itself, yes, I appear to be starting on trailers... Sorry...
    67566.jpg67567.jpg67568.jpg67569.jpg67570.jpg
    I did some more today, mainly gubbinsy bits. I don't have a greebling plug in or anything, so I'm pretty much just making random boxes and pipes and stuff. :)
    67595.jpg67596.jpg67597.jpg67598.jpg
  • Ice-DragonIce-Dragon0 Posts: 0Member
    WOW all this great work, nice one Dannage:thumb:
  • cavebearcavebear179 Posts: 623Member
    The work does look great but from the drawing the vehicle looks pretty front heavy. If you are driving it over to where you are going to pick up a load and you have to hit the brakes it looks like the back wheels will come off the ground and the chin will smack into the ground. It looks like you need something low and long extending from the back of the vehicle to balance it out and make it look like it has appropriate mass to counter balance the front.