Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DCarolina Class - JJ Style

• PromusPromus0 Posts: 0Member
    I didn't know you designed a TOS Era starship, Borgman!

And wait...are you doing that model in Sketch-Up?!? You truly are the Sketch-Up Master!! :lol:
  • MOON'S EYEMOON'S EYE0 Posts: 0Member
    BorgMan ... Excellent work!

It's a lot of fun watching this one take shape!
  • BorgManBorgMan209 DutchlandPosts: 581Member
    This will be the layout for my bridge:

bridge.th.jpg

I have a bit of trouble with the back of it. Should I leave it as is, with the hallway leading to the conference room having a door to the Captain's ready room, or should I swap some stuff around, ditching the MSD I had planned in the back in favor of a dedicated door to the aft of the module, with the readyroom accesible through the left of the bridge?
    Here's a first render of the bridge as it was yesterday; the next render will be done in a few hours. I've decided to add a big door in the aft of the bridge, making the other circular construction into a toilet / shower, with the conference room doubling as the captain's ready room. This is a small ship, so certain rooms have a double function. I will have to figure outwhat the best way will be to decorate it but that's of later concern.

carolinabridge.th.jpg
  • MelakMelak332 Posts: 0Member
    Very nice!! The corridor, shuttle bay and bridge look very good so far!

Will all those walls there be screens? :D
    Yep, all screen-a-licious. And why? Just because I can ;) The rest of the bridge doesn't have so much consoles, it's mainly centered around the screens on the sides a bit.

Oh, and that new shot I was talking about is ready. The exterior shot is anti-aliasing already so it shouldn't take long :)

carolinabridge2.th.jpg
    Bumping this up, some people might have missed this :)
  • PromusPromus0 Posts: 0Member
    I know that you're doing a JJ'd version of your Carolina-variant star cruiser, but will you also do a "Prime" TOS version of it?
    Nope. That would cost me way to much time, and besides I like the JJ version better than the prime version ;)
  • DaveKDaveK0 Posts: 0Member
    Wow. I really like this.
    Here's a new batch of images from the bridge. I've started work on the lounge, and right now the turbolift is in the works as well.

loungel.th.jpg
    carolinabridge4.th.jpg
    carolinabridgeext.th.jpg

From the outside you can see the iris lock that locks off the turbolift shaft. I wanted to put a normal sliding door in it but then I realised that there's no space for that; I think this solution is elegant enough :) The other portrusion will go, as that spot will house the head.
    You guys rhought this was dead? Fat chance ;)

It's pretty late over here so I'm gonna post this as-is; yes, there's some troubles with the model but I haven't fixed them yet. Probably will take another month before I can get back to it...
  • gerb200gerb200176 Posts: 114Member
    Holy cow, that's one slick lookin ship!
  • captain_millscaptain_mills174 Posts: 0Member
    Way cool!
    Ah, I is teh awake! I owe you guys an explanation...

I've been working on and off on her for the past year, together with the Aurora. Some updates to both ships should arrive in a month or so; I'm very busy but I'm itching to get both ships done. The bridge I made didn't fit, as it was a bit too large. It's the last component I'll finish, because of it's asymetric nature. Next to that, I've been working on some interiors, the most obvious of which is the planetary sensor array. It's inception is a throwback into history as well. Back when I was still busy with Carlg's Daedalus, the idea of having a geodesic dome at the bottom was pretty cool and would have made for a pretty funky sight when looking from the inside to an orbiting world. Now, that idea was transplanted here, in part because I felt the underside was rather lacking, combined with the fact the JJverse ships love them their windows, I just couldn't resist ;) The shuttlebay doors are, indeed, two halves. But because the inside of the shuttlebay sports support pylons which move inside a bit, they can just swivel open and still leave enough space for a (rather small - +/- 6 meters) shuttlecraft to pass. Not sure if I will build a multi-floor shuttlebay out of it, but we'll see. Hope you guys like what you see and have created an apetite for what is yet to come :)
  • StarshipStarship466 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,977Member
    Looks dammed beautifull! Welcome back. ;)
  • nightfevernightfever361 Posts: 585Member
    The hot rod style nacelles stand out from the well-behaved rest of the ship, but I really like them. They remind me on design studies of advanced sport cars. :)
  • Capt DaveCapt Dave0 Posts: 0Member
    I'm in lust and want to galavant around the galaxy in this baby!
  • SchimpfySchimpfy396 Posts: 1,632Member
    I love those shuttlebay doors. It's such an elegant solution to the more complicated fantail doors on most ships. Great work, Borgman! :thumb:
  • Fre'dniFre'dni0 Posts: 0Member
    The swept back sketch looks good, but just not as curvy. The TOS Enterprise model, would work just as well, for a Abrams era model. Since it was supposed to be the first double nacelled starship, would prolly have the same look, as a Kelvin, just double nacelles, with new technology. The look of that Enterprise, I still despise, in the latest movie
    Thanks for the kind words guys! Fre'dni, I have experimented with the swept back pylon but it would create a far larger shape. You see, the current nacelle type (both this one and Enterprise's) use the cowling as a visual identification that the pylon ends there as well. If I would make it swept back right now, that would mean the whole nacelle gets pushed more to the back, visually creating a shape that's very, very long. Right now it has a bit of a compact nature, and I like that :) And what is this babbling about the original Enterprise being the first double nacelled ship? If we would leave everything we know now thanks to First Contact and Enterprise behind, then still Gene's Rules would be in effect, which would essentially mean that everything that came before TOS utilizes double nacelles as well. Just my opinion ;)
  • cavebearcavebear179 Posts: 623Member
    This shape is great. It reminds me of some kind of sleek manta swimming around. It looks graceful just sitting there. The nacells look great too but my favourite view is from the front.
  • Fre'dniFre'dni0 Posts: 0Member
    Borgman, I really was not babbling, as much as usual. Just that the Enterprise in TOS was the first officially commissioned Heavy cruiser, named Enterprise. The NX series, were prototypes, which as you said, were not really compact in size, for efficiency. Forerunner design for the Akira, Steamrunners, yes.
    I was mainly on a gripe, how the Enterprise in the latest movie, looked too futuristic for the time period. I still believe Gene rolled over in his grave about that.
    your model, I was just leery, about the curved pylons, supporting the nacelles.
  • Jimi JamesJimi James0 Posts: 0Member
    Man that is pretty sweet. I was a huge fan of the original version of this ship, but this one really takes it to a new level. Nice work.
    I finally found it. the class of ship this looks a lot like.

Bonaventure class on Memory Beta. And I had the same desire to galavant around the galaxy in that ship too. But more so in your's because its got better lines.
    That's probably because it's the same class ;) The main difference is that I'm working from a 2D image from someone else. So yeah, my model is based on this very same ship, but when Star Trek came out I instead opted to make a JJ verse version of it, because I thought it would be cooler ;)
    BorgMan wrote: »
    That's probably because it's the same class ;) The main difference is that I'm working from a 2D image from someone else. So yeah, my model is based on this very same ship, but when Star Trek came out I instead opted to make a JJ verse version of it, because I thought it would be cooler ;)

:) I got to say, both versions are excellent, but your interpretation is stunning. When Its done, my I use it to represent the ship in my Sector Guard stores?
    :lol: According to this fan write up of the Bonaventure Class, its computer is a twin core "PAL-9000", and runs the "Macrohard" 3.1 Operating System (MCOS).
  • LonewriterLonewriter236 Posts: 1,078Member
    I liked the Bonaventure and I like this version.
  • LonewriterLonewriter236 Posts: 1,078Member
    Capt Dave wrote: »
    :lol: According to this fan write up of the Bonaventure Class, its computer is a twin core "PAL-9000", and runs the "Macrohard" 3.1 Operating System (MCOS).

gee I wonder who wrote that?