Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DCarolina Class - JJ Style

BorgManBorgMan209 DutchlandPosts: 581Member
edited January 2011 in Work in Progress #1
I came across an old model of the Carolina I had lying around a week or so ago, and thought that it would be cool to mod it a bit to let it fit with the style that's used in the upcoming movie. Reviewing the model again, I came to the conclusion that it was utter crap, and have started from scratch again. Here's an early WIP image; I am aware of some of the errors in the mesh. So... What do you guys think about it?
Post edited by BorgMan on
Tagged:

• FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    Looks like your off to a good start.
  • MichaelSMichaelS0 Posts: 0Member
    Looks good! I hope SU doesn't throw a tantrum because of all those curves ... :D
  • Shadowknight1Shadowknight10 Posts: 0Member
    That's not a bad start, keep going with it!
  • BorgManBorgMan209 DutchlandPosts: 581Member
    The curves are thusfar not doing wonky stuff, thank god. I'm glad Tobias did some work on both the Kelvin and Enterprise, as I'm using those ships as a loose base from which to work on. Still, it's not easy, as the ship has a lot of flowing lines from itself, and it's hard to combine the existing flowing design with the JJ style. Still, I think this will be a fun project :)
  • OneBuckFilmsOneBuckFilms171 Posts: 0Member
    BorgMan,

I think the Saucer will need to have a more simplisting flatness to it, even if you go with the Enterprise's rounded edge. For instance, there's no indent in the bottom of the saucer. It's like it is flat, with a cone coming out of it. Both the Kelvin and the Enterprise have this.

Also, the warp nacelles appear to be large, round and are pretty much large tubes.

Are you patterning this more on the Kelvin (More promitive and industrial looking) or the Enterprise (With a more elegant flow, more curves and much more white) ?

You might need to step into one style primarily, since the two styles are not as closely related as one might at first assume.

They are 20+ years apart in manufacture, probably more.
    Thanks for the heads up OneBuck! In the next view you can see more clearly that the saucer is as you say: flat with a cone coming out of it, atleast the bottom one. I've decided to let the top be a little more flowing to keep it atleast partially in line with the original (you can see her in the background).

I need to find a style in between: this vessel's registry is NCC-1000, so it would be almost exactly in between the two. Still figuring out how to do that...
  • BuckaroohawkBuckaroohawk2 Posts: 0Member
    I know this ship as the USS Bonaventure from one of the Trek Ships of the Line calendars, and I fell in love with it the instant I saw it. I really wish this had been the design of the NX-01 from "Enterprise" as I believe it highlights the design lineage of Starfleet ships much more closely than the ship they used in the show.

I built a slightly modified version of this a while back but never got around to posting any images of it here.

The idea of building an "Abrams Era" version of this ship is a cool one and I think the design should lend itself fairly well to the updated details, except for the warp engines. They shouldn't be nearly as heavy looking as the ones on the new version of the Enterprise. Even the Kelvin's warp engines may look a bit too bulky for this design. A few refinements in that area may be necessary.
    I think I've nailed down a pretty nice layout for it. The only thing I'm not sure about is whether to sweep the pylon backwards or forward a bit. Right now I think forward would look better...

[EDIT] On the other hand, this ship is supposed to be closer to the Kelvin than to the Enterprise. Choices, choices...
  • BuckaroohawkBuckaroohawk2 Posts: 0Member
    Of those sketches, I like the swept back pylon better.
  • floodcasso2floodcasso2259 Posts: 124Member
    absolutely fantastic work thus far. It looks sleek and FAST :) Awesome :)
    So, here we go!
    nacelle3.th.jpg
    nacelle2.th.jpg
    nacelle1.th.jpg
  • JohnnyMuffintopJohnnyMuffintop173 Posts: 0Member
    BorgMan wrote: »
    I thinkI've nailed down a pretty nice layout for it. The only thing I'm not sure about is whether to sweep the pylon backwards or forward a bit. Right now I think forward would look better...

[EDIT] On the other hand, this ship is supposed to be closer to the Kelvin than to the Enterprise. Choices, choices...

I saw, do two versions, one like the Ent, one like the Kelvin. :p
    And I know how you feel about knowing the layout, just not the details. That's what's killing me with a reworked Romulan Bird of Prey I'm working on.
  • farshotfarshot171 Posts: 0Member
    Nice that you're bringing this over to BCC.:cool:
    Here's the updated back. I tried to use the same fin-like thingies as on the Enterprise, but in a different configuration. I think it worked out quite well :)

nacellev2.th.jpg
    Eh... *poke*? Nacelle? :p
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    Look Like you got a good Shape there.
  • cavebearcavebear179 Posts: 623Member
    Nice nacelle with a very cool look. Hmmm, maybe I should try that *poke* thing on my thread.
    Have you run into the problem in SU where because the program wasn't designed to work with huge files that it finally stops working? I have. Needless to say I have to get a better program for what I want to do.
    Well Cavebear, it depends. It can handle pretty big files, but as soon as I tried to Intersect with Model, it crashed, which it also did when selecting the complete model. A simple update of the program solved that problem, though...
    I cooked up a ship logo, I've decided that it could be cool to have the ships have their own logo in this universe as well. While it's stretching the new canon, I think it would be cool. Anyone try and guess where the inspiration comes from? ;)

bonaventureinsignia.th.png
    Well Cavebear, it depends. It can handle pretty big files, but as soon as I tried to Intersect with Model, it crashed, which it also did when selecting the complete model. A simple update of the program solved that problem, though...

Well I have version 7 and a very very good computer. The RAM is no problem as I have 8 gigs so I have been thinking about what might be going on. I'm not really sure how the designers of the chip set did it but I am thinking that if they have broken down the chips into a main chip and three subs then my OS is using most of the main chip all the time and because SU was not designed to take advantage of multiple chip cores it is trying to use up the rest of the slack from the main chip and a conflict arises. But not being a computer tech just a computer user it is all guess work.
    Hmm... If you have a multi-core CPU, then yes, SU is not designed (yet) to take advantage of that. Are you running a 64-bit operating system? If not, those 8GB of RAM won't do anything above the 3...
  • MelakMelak332 Posts: 0Member
    The nacelle looks quite neat, although I liked the pointier bussard from the sketch a tad better :)
    Hmm... If you have a multi-core CPU, then yes, SU is not designed (yet) to take advantage of that. Are you running a 64-bit operating system? If not, those 8GB of RAM won't do anything above the 3...

Yep I'm running Vista 64 bit OS.
    I've been busy with this baby, designing a corridor system that's a cross between the Kelvin's corridors and the Enterprise's (duh), but that last interior Iwant to make for now is engineering. That's a bit of a problem, though, as I don't have anything that shows us engineering at best. I've decided that I am going to use an engineblock like structure, with the cores angled down a bit. Perhaps the following sketch makes sense? If I'm correct, this should give the ejection equipment enough space as well :)
  • MelakMelak332 Posts: 0Member
    I'm not quite following the sketch, but I look forward to what you come up with :)
    Hmmkey, perhaps this digital mockup works a bit better.

The cores are jetissoned down in an angle instead of up likethe Enterprise does. This makes sure they can't hit critical components when they are outside of the craft. This makes it look like (I think) a V8 engine, and even if it doesn't, I like the shape ;) I just need to figure out how this type of core works with matter and antimatter...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    Actually it looks more like a V6. Yes, I'm an ass:flippy:
  • DerekStarDerekStar0 Posts: 0Member
    Hmmkey, perhaps this digital mockup works a bit better.

The cores are jetissoned down in an angle instead of up likethe Enterprise does. This makes sure they can't hit critical components when they are outside of the craft. This makes it look like (I think) a V8 engine, and even if it doesn't, I like the shape ;) I just need to figure out how this type of core works with matter and antimatter...

I'm new here... so please forgive me if I'm stepping out of line. ._.

But I do enjoy designing ships--sadly I have limited art skills, so I'm left to making up the technobabble aspects. I thought up a rough idea of warp reactor assembly like this a while ago, and at first, I had that same concern. However, I realized something that might be of some use to you (if you're into technobabble that is).

Basically, the idea I had was to make it to where there was a set of dueterium and anti-matter injectors on each end of the reactor cylinders. These injectors compress the fuels and then inject them into the cylinder, where they begin reacting. Magnetic containment then forces the reacting material down (or up in your case) the length of the cylinder where it then meets the dilithium crystal matrix and is converted to warp plasma. Basically the big things at the top are individual crystal matrices, with plasma conduits coming out of each end.

And that is my suggestion for a technobabble explanation. Again, sorry if I stepped out of line.
    So... Here are some new renders. I've been busy with her on and off, but I've hit a bottleneck in the form of the nacelle pylons. Those are some pretty nasty bast*rds! In the meantime, you'll have to do it with these pics :)

ncc1000corridor.th.jpg
    ncc1000shuttlebay.th.jpg
    I like the corridor. Very slick look. Kind of reminds me of corridors the ship in the first aliens movie where everything is white (except in the lower levels.