Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DCousteau 1701-E

MelakMelak332 Posts: 0Member
edited May 2010 in Work in Progress #1
Well after I lost my stuff in a HD crash I thought I should rebuild my uber-ugly Yacht model, just better.
I've been working on this a bit to assure that I am too far to just give up again, so here goes:

Next up is the cockpit, I am still working out some scale issues.
There is still bits missing all over the place, feel free to point me to any though. Critique&Comments as always welcome :)
Post edited by Melak on
Tagged:

• AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    wow, great.
  • IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
    hmm I dunno, it looks exactly like mine - which is just my interpretation of the reference material, I'd rather see your own interpretation of the yacht
  • MelakMelak332 Posts: 0Member
    Your model's influence is undeniable, still there really isn't all that much to interpret.
    This was my old version:

Which was unfinished and way off in places. I am merely trying to improve upon that, not ripping yours off!
    well it's not about ripping me off, just there's parts of my model that I've had to decide what to put on it based on unclear reference, and instead of copying mine you should look at the reference and decide yourself what that part should look like

I always say never used a fan made model as reference, it's like copying analogue tapes from another copy - you always lose a bit of quality unless you copy from the source material
  • fluxfirefluxfire181 Posts: 604Member
    @IMRL

Isn't the expression "Imitation is the highest form a flattery"....?

Yes for this particular ship there really isn't much to go on. But that doesn't mean some one shouldn't use good work to go off of as a refference point.

@Malek

I like it but there are a few things you can do to make it more your own. Granted they aren't much but its the little details that count the most. (at least from what i have seen)
  • whitestarwhitestar0 Posts: 0Member
    In Melaks defence, isnt that ship cannon for the Enterprise E? Correct me if im wrong, but how many cannon ships from all the scifi are there. How many Enterprise E or Galactica wips are in here? Doing a model that is cannon isnt ripping it off.
  • ElowanElowan0 Posts: 0Member
    Looks good either way.
  • DannageDannage236 Posts: 634Member
    I'm not sure that's what IRML is really trying to say, but either way. Let's talk about the modelling, which is very nice and clean.

I particularly admire the bussards. The close up shot of the nacelle, your bussard looks lovely. I am always very bad with my bussards. Any tips?
    whitestar wrote: »
    In Melaks defence, isnt that ship cannon for the Enterprise E? Correct me if im wrong, but how many cannon ships from all the scifi are there. How many Enterprise E or Galactica wips are in here? Doing a model that is cannon isnt ripping it off.
    you're not understanding what I'm saying, there's no need to 'defend' anyone because this isn't an argument

people here can choose whatever they want to model and I have no problem with that, it's just when I've made up some of the details because of missing reference on a ship then I don't think it should be taken as the real deal for someone else modelling it

the correct way to go about it would be to look at the same reference and decide for yourself what should fill that gap

edit - it must be my avatar that gives this impression I'm always starting a fight, I just don't see it from the posts
    I have been looking at them references, a lot, and I liked the way you interpreted 2 areas (namely the ridge on top, and the sideburn like panels. Might've noticed because of my asking how you did that :P), a lot, so I adopted those. Everything else was created trying to get as close the the reference as possible with obvious small differences here and there.
    Heres a start on the cockpit, the one from the movie is way off in scale so this will most likely have to look a bit different.
  • fluxfirefluxfire181 Posts: 604Member
    Nice start on the interior.
    wow, sweet.
    Any suggestions what I could put in the room? Was thinking maybe a transporter pad like the runabout's got, or some sort of entry to the lower (maintenance) deck.
    I'm open to ideas :)
  • CrimsonLineCrimsonLine171 Posts: 0Member
    I'm thinkin' a chair might be nice.

Some place to - you know - sit?

;)
  • ScathaScatha0 Posts: 0Member
    IRML wrote: »
    edit - it must be my avatar that gives this impression I'm always starting a fight, I just don't see it from the posts

No IRML, it is your choice of words and the emphasized ones you use that makes it aggressive. Which in my view is everything a staff member should NOT be doing. I suggest trying a different approach of trying to tell someone that they are ripping off what YOU see as your work, as the rest of us do not share that sentiment.

Someone is sharing your view of the reference material and decides to try it himself, perhaps even using your work as a basis. Now until the end result is an exact copy of your work, do NOT shove it in someone's face. Instead allow him to work and if he does produce an exact copy, then you may address him upon it, but not before that is the case. It does not fit a staff member to do so... and trust me, I have the experience to know.

:thumb: Thumbs up, Melak. I like where you are taking this.
    Scatha wrote: »
    No IRML, it is your choice of words and the emphasized ones you use that makes it aggressive. Which in my view is everything a staff member should NOT be doing. I suggest trying a different approach of trying to tell someone that they are ripping off what YOU see as your work, as the rest of us do not share that sentiment.

Someone is sharing your view of the reference material and decides to try it himself, perhaps even using your work as a basis. Now until the end result is an exact copy of your work, do NOT shove it in someone's face. Instead allow him to work and if he does produce an exact copy, then you may address him upon it, but not before that is the case. It does not fit a staff member to do so... and trust me, I have the experience to know.
    wow scatha, I don't know who you are but you sure have pissed me off with that dumb post of yours

I've made it quite clear already that I'm not accusing him of ripping me off, I just don't think he should use certain interpretations on my model, it is not an order, just my constructive criticism of his work, and staff are allowed to post constructive criticisms, I DO NOT WANT TO HAVE TO EXPLAIN THAT AGAIN

now I'm willing to bet you know nothing about me, nothing about this design, and nothing about my WIP on it, so next time don't drag up a 2 day old incident to share your stupid hypocritical opinion
    You just emphasized my entire point, IRML. You should never lose your patience, or post negative commentry on someone YOU know nothing about. As a MOD you do not have that luxury. I have merely given you my observation, up to you what you do with it, but by the looks of it you did not understand a single word of it. Since you are just blowing up again, instead of actually stepping back and cool down before posting that crap.

Aka, yes I pushed your face into what you come across as, an arrogant arse with a bloated ego. Up to you to prove me wrong, but I have seen more then one that share this opinion of you on these forums so far. Get the point now?

As for the design, it is the captains yacht of the sovereign class. Best known example of it is the NCC-1701E (rings a bell?)

If pissing you off is THIS easy, while I gave constructive comment myself (Note: without name calling or foul language, you started that), then I suggest getting therapy. You have issues man.

As for this mediocre attempt to shut me up, I suggest you take it to PM, instead of argueing on someone else's thread. I sure was not.
    IRML wrote: »
    I've made it quite clear already that I'm not accusing him of ripping me off, I just don't think he should use certain interpretations on my model

Your model? Do you even realise that you are by that statement suggesting that this still is YOUR model he is using? Or do you own the copyrights to the sovereign class captain's yacht design?
    You just emphasized my entire point, IRML. You should never lose your patience, or post negative commentry on someone YOU know nothing about. As a MOD you do not have that luxury. I have merely given you my observation, up to you what you do with it, but by the looks of it you did not understand a single word of it. Since you are just blowing up again, instead of actually stepping back and cool down before posting that crap.

Aka, yes I pushed your face into what you come across as, an arrogant arse with a bloated ego. Up to you to prove me wrong, but I have seen more then one that share this opinion of you on these forums so far. Get the point now?

As for the design, it is the captains yacht of the sovereign class. Best known example of it is the NCC-1701E (rings a bell?)

If pissing you off is THIS easy, while I gave constructive comment myself (Note: without name calling or foul language, you started that), then I suggest getting therapy. You have issues man.

As for this mediocre attempt to shut me up, I suggest you take it to PM, instead of argueing on someone else's thread. I sure was not.
    sure pissing me off is easy, with guys like you not understanding the situation but still comming in here with your holier-than-thou attitude, getting involved in something that doesn't concern you, telling me not to tell people what to do but failing to realise you are telling me what to do yourself - you'd have to be stupid to think you wouldn't piss me off with crap like that

maybe it's up to me to prove you wrong, but considering you've already formed an opinion on me based on 2 or 3 posts then I just don't want or need your respect - I'm satisfied that all the people I've helped and got to know over the years really know me for who I am

taking this to PM? you should have followed your own advice in the first place shouldn't you, go back and read your own posts and tell me you're not a hypocrite, yeah you sure weren't trying to start an argument were you

bye bye now

EDIT
    IRML wrote:
    I've made it quite clear already that I'm not accusing him of ripping me off, I just don't think he should use certain interpretations on my model
    Your model? Do you even realise that you are by that statement suggesting that this still is YOUR model he is using? Or do you own the copyrights to the sovereign class captain's yacht design?
    yeah once again you've just proved how little you know about this whole situation
    ah I've just looked at your profle, you're the guy who started that naboo thread

now I understand why you're doing this, you still have some sort of wierd grudge because of my posts in your thread

I think it's you that needs the therapy
    Mate, I have been moderating boards and the likes for over 20 years. I have nothing to hide, nor to prove. What I gave you in my first post, is a constructive critique on how you come across with your choice of words. Flying off the handle like you are to a complete stranger that gives you advice is hardly what I call good moderator conduct.

and I am not known to hold a grudge against anyone, there are a good number of members here that can tell you that. they actually KNOW me.
    like you said, take it to PM
    Oh, as a fair warning, as long as you do not take this to PM, I shall not either. :)

Belay that.. prepare for it :P
    IRML, I have to say, frankly, he is right.
    You do have a quite straightforward way, we had a PM about that once, remember?
    See, sometimes your statements seem quite rude, eventhought you don't mean it that way, you simply keep to a very dry and direct way. But other people don't, and the such dry comments seem like an attack.
    I italised seem, because I am quite sure that you didn't mean it then though.
    PM's a nice way, because -no matter what forum- discussing the matter in this thread any further in thread-hijacking...

@Melak: Well, Chair, another console for a secondary person, I remember to have read in the TNG Tech Manual that a Captains Yacht is also used for diplomatic missions and in that case, more than just the captain's flying with. Anyhow, you should also leave enough room for the rear areas like a small quarter area with something like a little mass room, remember that scene with Picard, Data, Troi and Deanna in the Runabout returning from a conference to find the Enterprise being in struggle with a D'Deridex warbird with those freaky temporal anomalies all around?
    Something like these runabout rooms, only a tad smaller and more fitting the style anc chique of a captains yacht.
    and melak for what it's worth I think this is a great WIP, I just wanted you to be a little bit more original with the made up bits - which I can see you're already doing with the cockpit

keep it up
    ninja'd!
    Aresius wrote: »
    IRML, I have to say, frankly, he is right.
    You do have a quite straightforward way, we had a PM about that once, remember?
    See, sometimes your statements seem quite rude, eventhought you don't mean it that way, you simply keep to a very dry and direct way. But other people don't, and the such dry comments seem like an attack.
    I italised seem, because I am quite sure that you didn't mean it then though.
    PM's a nice way, because -no matter what forum- discussing the matter in this thread any further in thread-hijacking...
    I appreciate you're being diplomatic here but in these sort of situations when you post about taking sides you make it worse, I'm afraid I don't remember what we had a discussion about but I hope we worked it through
    Oh, as a fair warning, as long as you do not take this to PM, I shall not either. :)
    you took issue with me remember, not the other way around, it's up to you
  • MartocticvsMartocticvs444 Posts: 524Member
    Can we maybe keep the nonsense out of the thread? Having read through it's pretty damned obvious that IRML's post was misunderstood and everyone seems to have jumped on him, unfortunately. Take a moment to consider if someone really means what you think they mean before jumping on the bandwagon!
    Already took it to PM, Admiral Martok, sir. :P

(Klingon Bird of Prey - on hold)

Err, a klingon that puts a BoP on hold, that has got to be a first... *grins*
    We had, but it's about a year gone, it was quite the same situation (don't remember the outcome either, but I had good feelings about it, so the outcome can't be that bad. ;)).
    See, I once worked at a forum were we had a mod called Misantrophic and he was that way. Due to him, the forum lost members and was shut down eventually, because they were pi**ed by his way. While I think that persons need to take critical comments less serious, I do on the other hand emphasise the need of tolerance.
    I have seen a forum going down because a mod couldn't hold back and despite this could happen here, such things are just not right.

I do not take a side in way here, because I want to have an uninvolved eye on that, as my philosophy dictates.

/Edit: Consider it the last words, Martok. Once again one of my favourite Klingons saves the day. :lol:
    Melak, just remember that the captains yacht is more ornate then your average runabout and you will be fine. :)