Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DAn s1gun & BorgMan collab: [NEM] Corvette

BorgManBorgMan209 DutchlandPosts: 581Member
edited January 2016 in Work in Progress #1
Presenting you with the Corvette, a badass gunship that will sure be able to kick some ass. The ship, as you've all come to expect from me, will be completely modelled, inside and out.

The first image is of the corvette itself; the second is a comparison shot between a Hayden and the corvette. No classname for it though; gun should have one soon ;)
Post edited by BorgMan on
Tagged:

• BorgManBorgMan209 DutchlandPosts: 581Member
    And here a shot of the core. The render is unfinished, as it took too long, so I need to find a way to speed things up. Any other Kerkythea users who can help me out with that?
  • OzylotOzylot332 Posts: 0Member
    It undoubtedly took so long due to all the glowing stuff you have. Whenever you use materials that produce light, you will find that the render will slow down. Whenever possible, use point lights and spotlights instead.

Looks like a cool ship! Can we see more from the outside?
    Question is: how can I use a pointlight and a spotlight for a warpcore?

Here's gun's original drawing from which I'm building. Hold into consideration that the complete engineeringroom has been changed to accomodate an ejectable room.
  • chronochrono0 Posts: 1Member
    You are better off doing glows in post rather than in Kerky, because even the most basic of self illumination (SI) settings will take a while to render.

Oh and it helps not to use high levels of anything. Remember this is a GI renderer meant for Realism and not for quick renders. Try using less than .25 on your Emitter Intensity settings, and make sure to use only 1 side. And on areas where it's flat, but with several small areas to be illuminated use a transparency texture and a single plane behind it to lower render times.

Here's my 'lite' Ray Tracing/GI settings.

Ray Tracing
    AA Method: 3x3
    AA Threshold: .3
    Fuzzy Tracing: OFF (this is a setting that will kill render speed, not needed except for finish render's)
    Soft Shadows: Medium to Higher (this will hurt your render speeds if you have it too high)

GI
    Photons: 10000 (and less)
    Shotting Depth: 5 (and less)
    Rays: 80
    Accuracy: Good (and less, one of the settings that will kill render speed)
    Gathering Depth: 1 (this is the setting that will kill a renderer's speed)
    Tracing Depth: 2 (for WIP level stuff)
    Yeah I know, but I usually use the glows of other stuff than lamps to create a mood in a room. *shrugs* Oh well, I take it for granted, but I was just wondering if there was a faster way to render stuff.
  • StarshipStarship466 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,978Member
    Your sketchup wips are always a pleasure to see. ;)
  • SomersetSomerset0 Posts: 0Member
    Love the design man. This is what I would expect an intrasystem ship to look like. Something small, heavily armed and fast just to patrol a system. Very nice!
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    Looks interesting.
    5 decks in heigth, that's a shoty.
    Just a single deck smaller than the Hayden, but it fits it well. It really doesn't need to be any bigger, as it doesn't need much livingspace save a bunk and a toilet ;) gun said that it's cockpit will be a cross between a Danube's cockpit with a little bit Defiant thrown in for good order. I think that suits the design well :)

[EDIT] Thanx for the heads-up chrono, for WIP stuff those settings will be perfect :) I made those renders on my computer, but my laptop is the powerhouse of the two so I think I can kill rendertime by moving my models to the lappy too.
    Here's a render of tha back. Not as interesting as the front, but still I can imagine there are some people interested in it :)
  • Marian87Marian87171 Posts: 0Member
    I like it so far, but the nacelles look a bit odd in the back, i would suggest a bit more substance,otherwise awesome.
  • MelakMelak332 Posts: 0Member
    Nice work!.
    I quite like the way the armor panels of both hulls flow around the pylon's joint!
  • OzylotOzylot332 Posts: 0Member
    Marian87 wrote: »
    I like it so far, but the nacelles look a bit odd in the back, i would suggest a bit more substance,otherwise awesome.

I agree.

Looking good!
  • NodymeNodyme0 Posts: 0Member
    for some reason, I really like the unfinished shot of the warp core.
    kinda reminds me of oldschool games when they just started to turn 3d... because of the pixelation and the very rough look.
    before reading the explanation, I thought this look was intentional ^^

can't wait to see it at intended quality tho!
  • HellsgateHellsgate0 Posts: 8Member
    SWEET!!! A Federation (refit) Raven-Class / Sabre-Class meets the Klingon B'rel/K'Vort-Class.
  • s1gunmans1gunman0 Posts: 0Member
    BorgMan wrote: »
    Presenting you with the Corvette, a badass gunship that will sure be able to kick some ass. The ship, as you've all come to expect from me, will be completely modelled, inside and out.

The first image is of the corvette itself; the second is a comparison shot between a Hayden and the corvette. No classname for it though; gun should have one soon ;)

well the name of this lil bird is is the Corsair class after the ww2 fighter.
    and i have rough sketch of the bridge.its not pretty or to scale but till i get corel to act right its all i can do:(
    but it should give u a point to start from,but if u have some ideas feel free
    58929.JPG
  • blackbird17blackbird170 Posts: 0Member
    Not Bad Borgman, Nice start on this ship, looking forward to seeing where this design goes.
    Corsair it will be then :D As said, there's a problem with those console in the back, on the sides, as there are windows there. But I can begin with the rest of the bridge :)
  • blackbird17blackbird170 Posts: 0Member
    Nice start on the bridge.
    And a little update for you guys ^_^
  • somacruz145somacruz1450 Posts: 0Member
    Looks really nice so far. I wanted to say that it seems a bit too futuristic for the design but that's because I thought that ship is from pre-ENT era :D I'm waiting to see this one finished, along with your other projects because they're always very nice and well-thought.
  • sorceress21sorceress21269 Posts: 577Member
    Borgman,

System stats can have a big effect on Kerky render times. That doesn't help you if you are money limited. But if you can max out your RAM and get a 3D app specific graphics card. When I built my new machine my Kerk render times cut in half and I use a lot of self illuminated materials.
    Yeah I know sorceress, my laptop does the job a LOT faster than my desktop (which is a mere P4 2,2 GHz with 512megs), but I'm too lazy to move the model from my desktop to my laptop B) Well... a new desktop will have to wait, there's a chance for me to be in the US for a semester starting next schoolyear, and I really want to save for that; it's a once in a lifetime chance for a student, so that means I'll have to wait with buying a new computer. *sighs* Life isn't so easy... Damn it >_<
    Ah, the next render is done. Here you can see the command deck from the other side. Not so interesting as the former render, but I like the angle of it :)
    Hm, much space in the front, I guess there will be something for the navigation, though. You may want to add armrests to the captains chair.
    Guess how exhausting it can be to command a ship, even such a small one...
  • chronochrono0 Posts: 1Member
    BorgMan wrote: »
    (which is a mere P4 2,2 GHz with 512megs)... ...>_<

2ghz celeron with 1gb ram

I increased the RAM and it really affected performance, but Kerky is one of those 'overnight' renderers so if you treat it like that 20 minute render times doesn't seems as long. ;) Also setting it up to Batch render through multiple camera's helps. :thumb:

Batch rendering? Sh*t, I should have known about that, it makes so much sense! Though I often select my view in SU beforehand, because that way I can see exactly what I want to render. Looking at wireframes usually isn't my strongest point... Now to find out how to export camera's placed in SU to Kerky and I would be all settled! Next to that, with mucho SI materials (like this bridge) my PC works it in like 2 hours or so. That core, on the other hand, was at 18% after 27 hours, so that's where I broke it off...
    Well, whaddaya know... I forgot to post some of the updates in here! I decided to go asymetrical with the bridge, placing a door on the far left of the bridge with a pooltable in the middle. I also added some lights to it ^_^ The image is still a bit dark, though...

I'm afraid that's all you guys will get from me for a while, I had to reinstall XP. Point is that I'm getting a new 250GB disk soon, so I won't be installing a lot of stuff until that time. No need to do stuff twice...
    it's .. dark.....
  • somacruz145somacruz1450 Posts: 0Member
    Yeah Aresius is right - even if I bump up the brightness to the max the interior looks a bit too dark (well I can see everything but now bright colors hurt my eyes :D)
    However, it looks really nice anyway. Can't wait to see more of it.