Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DStar Wars Stuff

• TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Yeah, the new TIE rack launcher looks great, and the rear thruster assembly is coming on nicely, but have to agree, I miss those Walkers, are you placing them elsewhere in the hangar? That said they looked a little snug before, they'll need a lander to get them down the the surface and it didn't really look like there'd be enough room in there to house a ship large enough to carry the walkers.
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1115 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,567Member
    Wow... some top-notch work being done on this... I love the engines.
  • Road WarriorRoad Warrior207 Posts: 815Member
    Most impressive. Awesome ship you got here.
  • SeverusSeverus401 Posts: 254Member
    Ohhh... yeah the AT-AT bays are still in the aft section of that bay... they're just out of the shot is all. They still need work so I didn't include them but they're still there. The landers are whole other story, I'm working on an alternative to the bulky landers which just seem ridiculous to me. And here's an update on the Tormentor...

tormentor_2013_0008.jpg

tormentor_2013_0009.jpg

tormentor_2013_0007.jpg
    100920.jpg100921.jpg100922.jpg
    wibble
  • lennier1lennier1913 Posts: 1,282Member
    Well, you could always go the same route they took in the second episode of "I.M.P.S. - The Relentless", with a barge that's a massively scaled-up version of the Lambda shuttle. But, that massive beast probably wouldn't fit inside your destroyer. It barely even fit inside the Relentless' main bay.
    Yeah, I think you're right, even that would be too big for this little bay, I'm thinking along the lines of a couple of massive engines, some pincer type structure to grab the AT-AT under the belly and a simple cockpit, maybe some light guns to repel ground fire while they're dropping off, if that even...
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    nice ship, certainly looks better than the standard star destroyer from episodes 4/5/6. are you trying to design this ship for planetary attack(you mention AT-ATs). you would really need some kind of dropship or shuttle as i should doubt a massive ship like your destroyer could ever enter an atmosphere, unless you harden AT-ATs to survive reentry maybe with some kind of ablative heat shield to protect them as they drop and then fall away leaving a skycrane type unit on the back of the walker to slow it's descent(kind of like mars landers so far with a protective shell that is discarded once the craft is in the atmosphere.). nice engines and sensors on the ship, maybe add more greebles to the rear section behind the engines.
  • DarkSapiensDarkSapiens174 Posts: 0Member
    you would really need some kind of dropship or shuttle as i should doubt a massive ship like your destroyer could ever enter an atmosphere, unless you harden AT-ATs to survive reentry maybe with some kind of ablative heat shield to protect them as they drop and then fall away leaving a skycrane type unit on the back of the walker to slow it's descent(kind of like mars landers so far with a protective shell that is discarded once the craft is in the atmosphere.).

Not necessarily. An atmospheric reentry that turns the surrounding air into plasma only happens when you enter the atmosphere at orbital speeds (around 8 km per second for things like the shuttle if I remember correctly). If you reduce your speed in space and only then enter the atmosphere, the only problems would be high winds, temperature extremes, bad weather, lightning, etc…

Nice ship, Severus. The part of the hull that already has a bit of detailing looks still too flat to me for some reason, though. My apologies if this has already been addressed and you were gonna add things there, I haven't read the entire thread ;)
    nice ship, certainly looks better than the standard star destroyer from episodes 4/5/6. are you trying to design this ship for planetary attack(you mention AT-ATs). you would really need some kind of dropship or shuttle as i should doubt a massive ship like your destroyer could ever enter an atmosphere, unless you harden AT-ATs to survive reentry maybe with some kind of ablative heat shield to protect them as they drop and then fall away leaving a skycrane type unit on the back of the walker to slow it's descent(kind of like mars landers so far with a protective shell that is discarded once the craft is in the atmosphere.). nice engines and sensors on the ship, maybe add more greebles to the rear section behind the engines.

Actually I was thinking that this could enter an atmosphere, I don't see why not, since the Venators were seen scattered about Coruscant and elsewhere, I don't see them landing except in a prepared "dock" but I think they could get down into the air and shoot at, you know, things lol.
    nice ship, certainly looks better than the standard star destroyer from episodes 4/5/6.

Blasphemy!
    Nice ship, Severus. The part of the hull that already has a bit of detailing looks still too flat to me for some reason, though. My apologies if this has already been addressed and you were gonna add things there, I haven't read the entire thread ;)

Thanks, yeah lots of work still to do, various stuff to stick here and there to give it some character...
    I realised earlier that part of the problem is that the hull is too flat. If you look at pictures of a Venator or an Imperial Star Destroyer you'll see that apart from the plating and all the little bumps, whole sections of the hull are one or two "floors" higher than the rest. Maybe that's what's missing :)

This picture from fractalsponge illustrates it very well:
    ImpStarDestroyer-SWI125.jpg
    wibble
    I realised earlier that part of the problem is that the hull is too flat. If you look at pictures of a Venator or an Imperial Star Destroyer you'll see that apart from the plating and all the little bumps, whole sections of the hull are one or two "floors" higher than the rest. Maybe that's what's missing :)

I knew what you meant, and that's what I meant by lots of work still to do, lol. And yes, Fractalsponge is the undisputed master of star destroyers ;)

Meanwhile back at the ranch...

I did a little updating and redesigning my old Prowler shuttle, this isn't the AT-AT transport I was talking about, but something smaller than the Lambda shuttle (I really hate that name, seems too trekish for Star Wars). I figure this is something the lower ranks cram into to get between bases and ships.

ge_2013_prowler_0000.jpg

ge_2013_prowler_0001.jpg
    100998.jpg100999.jpg
    wibble
    Severus wrote: »
    I did a little updating and redesigning my old Prowler shuttle, this isn't the AT-AT transport I was talking about, but something smaller than the Lambda shuttle (I really hate that name, seems too trekish for Star Wars). I figure this is something the lower ranks cram into to get between bases and ships.

Nice little ship. Looks a bit like a "sports shuttle" designed by Cygnus Spaceworks (Creators of the Lambda) for rich Coruscanti youngsters :)
    I'm wondering if this one folds the wings to save space when landing, too. Since the wings come straight out of the hinge, it's harder for them to go all the way up…

And I'm sure the lower ranks would prefer this ship over the actual one they get to use…*:P http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/TIE/sh_shuttle
    Nice, I really like that design, reminds me a little of the TIE Phantom with that elongated Falcon/TIE crossbreed cockpit. Though I'd be tempted to make the end of the cockpit window more like that of a TIE Fighter with the central ring and struts spreading out from it, as that seems to be the Imperial standard look, and would tie (no pun intended) right back to the Eta-2 (Episode III) Jedi Starfighter visually. It might make it look a little less unique but I think it would help it fit more into the look of the Imperial war machine stylistically.
    You could also use this as an inspiration, although something in that design makes me cringe every time…:

conceptart05.jpg
    Yeah, I'm not a big fan of this design, or the shuttle that appeared in Episode III for that matter. Though that said, this doesn't look exactly like the shuttle used in the Clone Wars, looks like they changed the wings quite a lot from this initial design. Unless this is a new one we haven't seen yet?

Looks like a more Imperial-centric version of their existing shuttle looking at those designs more closely.

Ahhh, it is a modification of their existing Jedi Shuttle asset for Darth Sidious that featured in the Season 5 Episode Lawless. Had to investigate that as it was annoying me.

:lol:
    Well regarding the little shuttle, this was the original inspiration for it, which was some concept sketch from the original trilogy for the Imperial Shuttle...

imp_shuttle_concept_ill.jpg

From that I made this version...

ge_2010_pshut_004.jpg

Which I then rebuilt as the latest version in the post above. Talon I thought about putting a standard TIE type windshield in there, and even built a version with it, but it looked too much like a TIE Bomber kitbash to me, plus I didn't want to eliminate completely the bulb cockpit, although I have strayed quite a bit from it.

Now regarding the AT-AT transport, here's some ideas I'm kicking around...

at-at_transport_0001.jpg

at-at_transport_0002.jpg

at-at_transport_0003.jpg

at-at_transport_0004.jpg

at-at_transport_0005.jpg

at-at_transport_0006.jpg

at-at_transport_0007.jpg

at-at_transport_0008.jpg
    101005.jpg101006.jpg101007.jpg101008.jpg101009.jpg101010.jpg101011.jpg101012.jpg101013.jpg101014.jpg
    wibble
    Well regarding the little shuttle, this was the original inspiration for it, which was some concept sketch from the original trilogy for the Imperial Shuttle...

ge_2010_pshut_004.jpg

Which I then rebuilt as the latest version in the post above.

Yes, that one. In The Clone Wars they turned the concept into a real ship, but with wings so wide on such small hinges that they look like if they're gonna break at any moment. I like your version better.

Very interesting concepts that you have in there. Some of them remind me of a miniature version of the transport they used in the second chapter of I.M.P.S. (The one featured there could carry 4 AT-ATs and 4 AT-STs inside) http://ImpsTheRelentless.com/tek9.asp?pg=chapter2_visual_frame

If you decide to use one of the versions with clamps, I'll point out that those 3 rectangular holes that the AT-AT has in each side are meant to be for the clamps inside the landing barges to keep the vehicle secured during travel, so you might wanna use those as fixing points :)

ge_2010_pshut_004.jpg

Which I then rebuilt as the latest version in the post above. Talon I thought about putting a standard TIE type windshield in there, and even built a version with it, but it looked too much like a TIE Bomber kitbash to me, plus I didn't want to eliminate completely the bulb cockpit, although I have strayed quite a bit from it.

With your first shuttle I was meaning something like this

TP6.jpg

Or this...

JediInterceptors.jpg

So still with an elongated canopy, just with the TIE like detail at the end, shouldn't look much like a TIE Bomber at all.

And yeah, that original concept design you're going for is the one that inspired the design of the Jedi Shuttle used in Clone Wars. The bulb like cockpit and the window configuration in particular.

As for your AT-AT carrier shuttles, I'm not so sure, they just don't look that practical. The AT-TE carrying LAAT Gunship worked really well due a lot to that walker's relatively squat shape and size. I can see some of your designs look a little inspired by that, but it just doesn't seem to work with a walker as big and long legged as an AT-AT. The ship just looks too small to be able to lift it, and it looks like it would be really cumbersome in flight with those long legs dangling. I think as I believe someone has already mentioned, that fan made movie IMPS probably has the best designed example of an AT-AT Barge Imperial Shuttle hybrid, the design featured in that was kinda like a mega-shuttle with a massive cargo ramp with which to deploy its walkers which looked really cool and practical if absolutely massive. That might be a route to go, but the results may be to large for your specific needs.
    101017.jpg101018.jpg
    wibble
    You know, maybe the standard AT-AT barge does fit in that hangar. It's not much taller than an AT-AT (minute 1:03):

And it would be good to see a detailed version of it (the ones that appear in Empire at War are bigger and carry 4 AT-ATs). But it's your decision of course :)
    I think maybe I should abandon the winged shuttle look altogether. Go back to just a couple of huge engines with a cockpit. Dangling legs shouldn't be a problem, I'd imagine the legs can lock into position for the duration of a short flight from the bay to the ground. And then once at the drop point the machine is released ready to walk without having to disembark reducing the time the transport is in the area and giving the walker freedom to act almost immediately.
  • fractalspongefractalsponge254 Posts: 1,088Member
    I knew what you meant, and that's what I meant by lots of work still to do, lol. And yes, Fractalsponge is the undisputed master of star destroyers ;)

Meanwhile back at the ranch...

ge_2013_prowler_0000.jpg

ge_2013_prowler_0001.jpg

This shuttle is the proverbial knee of the bee, and if you do not finish it, I will do it in some form. That is all.
    Well that's a solid endorsement if ever there was one.

:thumb:
  • Road WarriorRoad Warrior207 Posts: 815Member
    ^Yep

Now that is COOL. Has an old school feel to it that is quite nice and puts me in mind of a shuttle put together by the design team that made the V38. Don't know about the powerplant but I can see this shuttle being built into "skipray type" versions.

Oh, and I think you should send pics of your destroyer to Eric Hilleary of Imps The Relentless fame.....
  • Mach CritMach Crit0 Posts: 0Member
    This shuttle is the proverbial knee of the bee, and if you do not finish it, I will do it in some form. That is all.

Woah, I heard that all deep and raspy breathed...
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    Be aware that the AT-AT Barge was able to load two AT-ATs...
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    what about building some REALLY HEAVY shuttle craft thing that can carry many AT-ATs, also fit it with heavy weapons and troops/tanks so it can act like a space equivalent of some type of landing craft(but with more weapons). either that or fit the AT-ATs with heat shields and parachutes hten ferry them back p to orbit after the battle with a heavy(but less armed and armoured) shuttle. i like the ideas but so far your landers for carrying the AT-ATs look too small for what they carry. i think it may be more efficient and cost effective to use less ships carrying more AT-ATs, even better ditch the AT-ATs and use some sort of flying gunship that can re-enter an atmosphere then climb back to orbit again later. if you have powerful enough engines to carry the heavily armoured AT-AT down then you could use them to develop a gunship instead, however agile the legs are a "flying tank" would be faster and able to operate over oceans and in mountains. by the way, i like the bulb canopy from the TIE and jedi fighters that could look very good on many types of small ship.
  • meugen06meugen06334 Posts: 5Member
    For the AT-AT think at a flying brick.
  • Sly AssassinSly Assassin0 Posts: 0Member
    AT-AT's can kneel, so it's quite possible that you could make a smaller transport craft that can then unload the AT-AT's prior to them standing up again.