Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DMy Crazy Side projects...

• OzylotOzylot332 Posts: 0Member
    Is there something specific of his that I should be looking at? Seems I should be looking at a mechanics textbook for this kinda stuff. :D
  • jay-mojay-mo0 Posts: 0Member
    oh, this is really cool. The design is great, really wiked with those teeth. This has some great potential.
  • MephMeph331 Posts: 0Member
    Hmmm, I think best to look closely at feline and canine skeletons. And you have a cat at home, promote him to 'technology demonstrator' and observe closely :D

My guess is that youtube will be a good source for cat antics and even perhaps lion and tiger footage. I think the tricky part to make it believable is the shoulder motion. Pay close attention on how the shoulders of felines are used as main 'shock absorber'. The 'forearm' is used more for placement and direction and the shoulder bear the brunt of the impact and weight.
    The hips stay much more stable, with just a slight z-rotation (like a much toned-down hip movement of a lizard). The hind legs are the main source of propulsion. Not just a 'biped' walking motion (which is basically a continuous series of controlled falls) but literally pushing the body forward. The placement and angle of the ankle they have from walking on their toes also acts as a natural spring, reducing the actual energy required for a simple forward motion (not to mention amplify the energy for jumping)
    Thanx guys!
    Meph wrote: »
    Hmmm, I think best to look closely at feline and canine skeletons. And you have a cat at home, promote him to 'technology demonstrator' and observe closely :D

My guess is that youtube will be a good source for cat antics and even perhaps lion and tiger footage. I think the tricky part to make it believable is the shoulder motion. Pay close attention on how the shoulders of felines are used as main 'shock absorber'. The 'forearm' is used more for placement and direction and the shoulder bear the brunt of the impact and weight.
    The hips stay much more stable, with just a slight z-rotation (like a much toned-down hip movement of a lizard). The hind legs are the main source of propulsion. Not just a 'biped' walking motion (which is basically a continuous series of controlled falls) but literally pushing the body forward. The placement and angle of the ankle they have from walking on their toes also acts as a natural spring, reducing the actual energy required for a simple forward motion (not to mention amplify the energy for jumping)

Wow... hadn't planned on putting that much thought into it. Some good points though. While it will be possible to pose this to some extent, I think some parts of it will have to be static. (such as the spine right now). I will have to do some more considering on this. Thanx for the explanation.
  • Ice-DragonIce-Dragon0 Posts: 0Member
    Ozylot wrote: »
    th_MachineHead08.jpg

I don't know whether to stroke it of run away from it:D

It look Great tho.
  • PipPip171 Posts: 0Member
    That thing really is freaky :o But in a good way I suppose. T-1000's pet! :D

Could look hilarious if rendered with Ed's terminator model. :lol:
    Ice-Dragon wrote: »
    I don't know whether to stroke it of run away from it:D

It look Great tho.

I'd run. :D

Thanx guys!

Update:

Built the back legs and all the workings. Still have to do the paws, and tail. then after that its just details. I think it would work pretty good in a defensive capacity. Im including a more clay like render so you can see more of the structure.

th_MachineHead10.jpgth_MachineHead09b.jpg
    Thoughts?
    Very good, I like the stance, you 'feel' the weight of the body and the tension in the limbs.
    I'm curious. Did you work out a full shoulder joint? Could you post a render of a more top-down view perhaps? :D
    Very good, I like the stance, you 'feel' the weight of the body and the tension in the limbs.
    I'm curious. Did you work out a full shoulder joint? Could you post a render of a more top-down view perhaps? :D

Here is another clay one. The shoulder disk is supposed to turn even though it doesn't look like it here. I forgot to mirror part of the other shoulder when I exported it last... oops. The pistons have joints at the other ends and flex where needed. So for the most part, the shoulder actually works in 3 axis' I will probably use it as a guide for when I get to the hips.

th_MachineHead11.jpg
    Cool, seems very functional :thumb: One critique, if I'm nitpicking, might be to move the shoulder pistons just a bit closer to the shoulder disc, that way you get more leverage and more leeway for shock absorption.
    Cool, seems very functional :thumb: One critique, if I'm nitpicking, might be to move the shoulder pistons just a bit closer to the shoulder disc, that way you get more leverage and more leeway for shock absorption.

Thats a good crit.... damn... :(

That shoulder joint happens to be one of the few parts of the model that I didn't keep an un-smoothed version of. I'll try to rebuild it.

Thanx!
  • DimitriyDimitriy0 Posts: 0Member
    It feels as some mechanics is missing in the back pair of lags ( I know, I know...poor English...but you do understand me comrade, right?). But I guess you didnt get there yet.
  • DerekDRPDerekDRP0 Posts: 0Member
    I love your work mate.
    DerekDRP wrote: »
    I love your work mate.

Thanx, thats great to hear.
    Dimitriy wrote: »
    It feels as some mechanics is missing in the back pair of lags ( I know, I know...poor English...but you do understand me comrade, right?). But I guess you didnt get there yet.

I understood ;)

And you are right. I have not reached that point yet. But soon. Still have to put on the tail too.
  • traqtraq0 Posts: 0Member
    awesome animal...
    Thanx bro!

Update time: Mostly complete now. I could add some detail inside the chest area, some pipes possibly, although, once all the parts are smoothed, the model is quite heavy in wings.

th_MachineHead12a.jpg
  • looks great bro! you've really expanded on your subjects!

what powers this thing though? i dont see any glowy bits :D
    Dallidas wrote: »
    looks great bro! you've really expanded on your subjects!

what powers this thing though? i dont see any glowy bits :D

There is a little tiny handle in the back that you have to twist about 60 times. Once done the handle will unwind very slowly and generate power. Makes a sort of ticking noise. :lol:

I guess your right, not done till the insides are set. Hopefully I won't crash wings doing it.

Thanx!!
  • lol wind up? dude this is the 21st century not the 19th century
    lol wind up? dude this is the 21st century not the 19th century

Oh, you know, environmentally friendly and all that.:p
  • traqtraq0 Posts: 0Member
    I actually like the wind-up idea. look at those wind-up flashlights, they work great.

As far as the chest goes, maybe some wirey-pipes like on the cheek, but nothing too fancy. I figure the computer/processor/whatever is in the head, no real need for much else showing. The wind-up generator should be mounted in the hips :devil:
  • jay-mojay-mo0 Posts: 0Member
    Looking sweet man! These renders are superb. I would suggest some reactor type heart that shoots bluish volume light from behind the all those peices of metal that make up the chest. Or maybe just some energy mass that's trapped in the chest. I always love the glowy type effects.
    Or perhaps some sort of docking station to recharge? That way it has limited range, which is perfect for guard duties. And if it has some rudimentary AI, this limited charge also prevents it from running off and chasing butterflies ;) You can even model it in the shape of a doggy basket :D

In any case it's looking very cool :thumb: but I am wondering a bit what that blocky thing is just below the spine in front of the hip?
  • Ice-DragonIce-Dragon0 Posts: 0Member
    Looking great there Ozylot:thumb:
    Thanx guys!
    Or perhaps some sort of docking station to recharge? That way it has limited range, which is perfect for guard duties. And if it has some rudimentary AI, this limited charge also prevents it from running off and chasing butterflies ;) You can even model it in the shape of a doggy basket :D

In any case it's looking very cool :thumb: but I am wondering a bit what that blocky thing is just below the spine in front of the hip?

Interesting idea.
    I think the piece you are referring to may be part of the waist linkage. It is built to move on two axis, not sure if i made it so it can twist or not.
    jay-mo wrote: »
    Looking sweet man! These renders are superb. I would suggest some reactor type heart that shoots bluish volume light from behind the all those peices of metal that make up the chest. Or maybe just some energy mass that's trapped in the chest. I always love the glowy type effects.

That is probably the direction I'll be going with. I like glowy stuff too, its just tricky to render it sometimes.
    traq wrote: »
    I actually like the wind-up idea. look at those wind-up flashlights, they work great.

As far as the chest goes, maybe some wirey-pipes like on the cheek, but nothing too fancy. I figure the computer/processor/whatever is in the head, no real need for much else showing. The wind-up generator should be mounted in the hips :devil:

Hehe, those wind-up flashlights do work well ;)
    I think the final will be a reactor with some pipes and a light inside.

Thanx everyone!
    Time for something a little different.

This is a cargo ship I started the other day. It carries 10 cargo pods. I have ideas for 2 other cargo ships, 1 smaller one that will carry 1 pod. And another much larger ship that may carry up to 70 pods.

Its not supposed to be pretty, its a case of function deciding the form. Thoughts?
    th_CargoShipMedium05.jpgth_CargoShipMedium04.jpgth_CargoShipMedium03.jpg
  • its definitely interesting in its asymmetricalness. i dont think the engine fits though. everything else is really angular while it looks like an airliner's engine
    its definitely interesting in its asymmetricalness. i dont think the engine fits though. everything else is really angular while it looks like an airliner's engine

That is a good point dallidas. I might redesign the engines with more square profile to them. Thanx!
  • DimitriyDimitriy0 Posts: 0Member
    Have to agree with dallidas. The engine is too round and is out of place...I would put somewhere in the lower aft section of a ship...somewhere in near the center.

I would also add smth like little docking ports for much smaller tugboats (I am actually working on one right now)...I imagine those tugs taking care of the individual cargo crates...I would also add some refueling line/ports...and a dock for a small passenger (did I that right?) transport...Some escape pods would also look nice.

And some of those black-and-yellow patterns you see on heavy equipment...That would make it look nice...
    Dimitriy wrote: »
    Have to agree with dallidas. The engine is too round and is out of place...I would put somewhere in the lower aft section of a ship...somewhere in near the center.

I would also add smth like little docking ports for much smaller tugboats (I am actually working on one right now)...I imagine those tugs taking care of the individual cargo crates...I would also add some refueling line/ports...and a dock for a small passenger (did I that right?) transport...Some escape pods would also look nice.

And some of those black-and-yellow patterns you see on heavy equipment...That would make it look nice...

The docking ports are a good idea! Ive built some new engines but they are still at the same position. Ive designed the engines to turn serenity style to allow for good maneuverability. There are also now 2 escape pods. Black and yellow patterns are coming ;)

Thanx bro!
    (Cargo pods are hidden)
    th_CargoShipMedium07.jpgth_CargoShipMedium06.jpg