Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Local TutorialHow to build the Starship Enterprise in TrueSpace 3

• dan1701adan1701a2 Posts: 0Member
    scifieric wrote:
    Thanks for the compliment!

The solid color for the dome won't cut it since the texture is animated to show shadow and light spill. Since I'm not using lights, I'm saving a tremendous amount of render time!

Now, the blades, that's a different story and I'm open to suggestions.

I wonder if actually making practical blades would cut down on render time? The way I did mine was to take a sphere with 36 segments, make it editable, then cut it in half along the "equator," leaving a hemisphere. While it's still editable, switch to a mode where you can see the front of the sphere and remove two of every 3 segments...leaving 12 segments, or "vanes," connected in the center. I'd show you what I'm talking about, but any pictures will have to wait until later tonight.

Taken by themselves, they render very quickly, and you can apply an alpha channel to the texture to make them blend in better.

Maybe something like that would be helpful.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804255 Posts: 11,034Member
    I have practical blades on mine (always) and they render up pretty quickly. Of course, I don't animate, but in tS, it shouldn't change the render time too much to do Eric's method. Because, to do the blades, I still used a sphere, though cutting large areas out of it did reduce the polys, it's not that much of a change. And, if you're using .jpg images, it won't effect the render time too much. Now, if you're using .bmp images, the practical blades would probably render a little more quickly.
  • RolibaRoliba331 Posts: 0Member
    The only way that it'll slow things down is if you put in a motion blur on the blades. The advantage with texturing them is as Eric pointed out, you can paint the blur in.
    Is motion blur really that necessary? I mean, unless you're viewing them from right in front of them, you won't even see the motion blur.
    Is motion blur really that necessary? I mean, unless you're viewing them from right in front of them, you won't even see the motion blur.

I'd have to agree...especially if the Bussard dome is semi-transparent and the lights are bright enough, the blades really only serve to block some of the light and provide a pattern. You really shouldn't see the blades themselves that clearly through the dome.
  • mcmillermcmiller331 Posts: 0Member
    Anyone notice whether the blade rotation is same for all nacelles? Are they all clockwise as seen from the front? Or is the starboard clockwise and port counter-clockwise?

It's probably not going to make much of difference except to a hardcore nitpicker. But it might be useful if I try to mechanically animate the blades.
    mcmiller wrote:
    Anyone notice whether the blade rotation is same for all nacelles? Are they all clockwise as seen from the front? Or is the starboard clockwise and port counter-clockwise?

It's probably not going to make much of difference except to a hardcore nitpicker. But it might be useful if I try to mechanically animate the blades.

It's funny how this question keeps coming up. The consencous is every direction:D . It all depends on the episode, yadda-yadda. Personally, I went with the flashy-lights rotating counter, and the blades clockwise... on one side. There is a straight mirror.
    Yeah, the ones on ***everyone brace yourself as I speak the unspeakable*** Enterprise went clockwise on starboard and conter-clockwise on port. They did the same for the TOS Defiant when it was on there. I think the TOS Enterprise was supposed to work that way, but I'm not totally certain. I mean, I'm a dork, but my dorkiness has its limits. :devil:
    Yeah, the ones on ***everyone brace yourself as I speak the unspeakable*** Enterprise went clockwise on starboard and conter-clockwise on port. They did the same for the TOS Defiant when it was on there. I think the TOS Enterprise was supposed to work that way, but I'm not totally certain. I mean, I'm a dork, but my dorkiness has its limits. :devil:

No, say it isn't true!

*Ducks yet another thrown keyboard.
    Dude, I've only got 2 freakin' keyboards!!

*throws a speaker*

However, I have more speakers than I know what to do with. :devil:
  • AlarethAlareth331 Posts: 0Member
    I have a broken 17" monitor if anyone wants to throw it.
    I've got 2 broken 25" TVs, but I'm not throwing those heavy bastards. I have a bad enough back from being in the infantry already. :D
  • Lee80Lee80193 Posts: 458Member
    you can have the ones you threw at me back, but itll cost ya....:devil:
    Eh, let's face it, I'm too lazy to even have thrown anything in the first place.
  • Lee80Lee80193 Posts: 458Member
    True..but we were givin ya the benifit of the doubt....
    Eh, let's face it, I'm too lazy to even have thrown anything in the first place.

But, it's the thought that counts.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    i don't want to sound unpatient, but when do you continue? :D
    it's time to do the impulse engines.
    well, although i haven't posted any WIP's yet i'm one of the many that follow your tutorial. i wanted to do an Enterprise for ages, but it took this tutorial to finally get me started.
    and it's my first high-poly model, i only did game models before.
    You tell him Bravus. If people don't ride him he gets... well, I hate to use the word, but... lazy. If you read the whole thread, you see what it took to get him to make the Bussards.

Runs, ducking keyboards, monitors, speakers, Evil Geniuses...
  • scifiericscifieric1122 Posts: 1,497Member
    Bravus wrote:
    i don't want to sound unpatient, but when do you continue? :D
    Roliba wrote:
    If people don't ride him he gets... well, I hate to use the word, but... lazy.
    :D

Sorry guys. This week has been devoted to getting my CME's in order. I've got 6 more days to finish up another 15 credits. Ugh!
  • mcmillermcmiller331 Posts: 0Member
    ^That's what I thought... Real life sometimes gets in the way of modeling and rendering. Give him a break, guys. ;) I'm just as eager to see the next installment as anyone.
    Yeah, that's true. Besides, I'd like to see you all that are trying to pressure him whip out a tutorial quickly. First, you have to be sure of how to do the process yourself. Then you have to go through the trials and the pitfalls of doing the process and at the same time write a tutorial. Then you have to upload it to the internet and try to put everything in an order that will make sense to others. Plus, I don't know about the rest of you, but I have about a thousand distractions an hour when I'm relaxing and doing 3D work (though not necessarily doing both of those at the same time as 3D work isn't always relaxing. :devil:)
  • uniderthuniderth1 Posts: 0Member
    Yeah, that's true. Besides, I'd like to see you all that are trying to pressure him whip out a tutorial quickly. First, you have to be sure of how to do the process yourself. Then you have to go through the trials and the pitfalls of doing the process and at the same time write a tutorial. Then you have to upload it to the internet and try to put everything in an order that will make sense to others. Plus, I don't know about the rest of you, but I have about a thousand distractions an hour when I'm relaxing and doing 3D work (though not necessarily doing both of those at the same time as 3D work isn't always relaxing. :devil:)

Amen to that Scotty.
    I kid only becasue your such a good sport Eric. You take your time; I know how hard it is to balance real life and the important things, modeling, oh and writing a Tut.

Looking forward to seeing more.
    Thanks everybody! Yeah, I enjoy making the tutorial and I will get back to it real soon.
    mcmiller wrote:
    ^That's what I thought... Real life sometimes gets in the way of modeling and rendering. Give him a break, guys. ;) I'm just as eager to see the next installment as anyone.

Ain't it the truth!

Dig your avatar, by the way...haven't seen Gerry Anderson's "UFO" in probably 30 years or more!
    Still the best Science Fiction Theme Music ever! UFO (And that's from a Die-Hard Star Trek Fanatic!)
    :runs:
  • BrickheadBrickhead176 Posts: 0Member
    Always like to see how the Pros do it.
    Great job on this tutorial Eric.
    Alareth wrote: »
    :runs:
    Cute. Cute. You'll get yours Alareth! LOL!
    Brickhead wrote: »
    Always like to see how the Pros do it.
    Great job on this tutorial Eric.
    I would like to see how the Pros do it too, but I thought you were the Pro, Brickhead! Your Discovery, Pod, Leonov and Aries models are stunning!

Thanks for the kind words man.
    What? I'm innocent I tell you. Innocent.