Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DFalcon - Allied Hunter/Killer - The Detailing Continuums

• CoolhandCoolhand289 Mountain LairPosts: 1,298Member
    here's a test shot of it in place. ramp afficionados might be pleased to note that the ramp is now a scant 20 degrees.
    65566.jpg
  • cavebearcavebear179 Posts: 623Member
    Coolhand wrote: »
    here's a test shot of it in place. ramp afficionados might be pleased to note that the ramp is now a scant 20 degrees.

:thumb::D:flippy: ramp afficionados :lol: Love it!
  • Road WarriorRoad Warrior207 Posts: 815Member
    no you won't find anything... I've never really settled on anything for them. all you'll find is a number and the two letters of the base its registered to, so this one is ship 55 of the lunar outpost.

Ha! Ok - thought I was overlooking it.
  • MephMeph331 Posts: 0Member
    ramp afficionados

Hehehe, I want a pin-on button or an iron-on badge of that! :D
  • StarshipStarship482 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,998Member
    Steve, itA’s always a pleasure to see wips from you. :)
  • sorceress21sorceress21269 Posts: 577Member
    Dear Coolhand,

I hate you.

Sincerely,

Sorceress21

P.S. I don't really hate you.

This letter brought to you by my shear and complete petty jealousy of your talent and skill.
  • TovetteTovette5 Posts: 13Member
    cool shuttle. Pfft I may not be able to model as good as you but I could paint that. :p
    Dear Coolhand,

I hate you.

Sincerely,

Sorceress21

P.S. I don't really hate you.

This letter brought to you by my shear and complete petty jealousy of your talent and skill.

Its ok, you can hate me a little.

here's some detailing of one of the wheel bogeys. Also a pic of the shuttle, which was half built some time ago as a ship that would fit into the XR2's cargo bay - the XR2 is a SSTO i built for orbiter.
    65693.jpg65694.jpg
  • ComcoComco317 Posts: 1,281Administrator
    Its ok, you can hate me a little.

*Shrugs*

Indeed. Some of us have been doing it for years... :flippy: :p

Love what you've got so far Steve. Looks very much to be an extension of Earth-based NASA technology such as the Shuttle. Great stuff. :thumb:
  • JWWrightJWWright171 Posts: 0Member
    this is one of the coolest original designs i've seen in a long time, cant wait to see more!
    JWWright, thanks.
    Comco wrote: »
    *Shrugs*

Indeed. Some of us have been doing it for years... :flippy: :p

Love what you've got so far Steve. Looks very much to be an extension of Earth-based NASA technology such as the Shuttle. Great stuff. :thumb:

feel free to send hatemail Tim, it's always hilarious... If you recall I did once have a death threat from one particularly deranged SFM'er

essentially it was something like 'you're rubbish at 3d, and i will kill your family to prove it' except it was about 4 paragraphs long and written by a moron.
    65728.jpg
  • Dr LeeDr Lee2 Posts: 0Member
    Death threat? WTF?

Slightly confused by the floating bits......But i'm loving this
    Dr Lee wrote: »
    Death threat? WTF?
    Indeed. WTF!

She is definently looking massive now. great job bro!:thumb:
  • Lord ErisuLord Erisu0 Posts: 0Member
    The floaty bits, whats with them??

And from the last angle, I'm getting an impression of tall and thin. Lanky in a way. Almost like a double decker bus. Point is that it does seem like it could get tipped on its side easily. Interresting image (the getting tipped on its side one...).
  • efritschefritsch0 Posts: 0Member
    I'd assume the floaty bits are guides or things that aren't done yet and not hidden. I do it myself all the time.

My one and only (minor) crit on this marvelous model, is that tires are too shiny.
    Doesn't that depend on if its been rolling around in water or not?
    Dr Lee wrote: »
    Death threat? WTF?

Slightly confused by the floating bits......But i'm loving this

It was some time ago, just before the SFM disk crash of '06 i don't think i mentioned it outside the staff forums. Some of you probably know who i mean, he posted here a lot but that email was the last straw iirc, and he was banned, only for some unfathomable reason to be let back on (under a different username) on the new sfm... Something i wasn't happy with but there you go....

He had some talent, but the guy i think was always jealous of how popular my work was at the time and had a real problem with me as a result. Eventually he was banned again -nothing to do with me, he pissed a lot of people off, I hope he's grown up a bit these days.

As for the floaty bits, the lower one is a folded fin, i haven't built the connecting parts yet, the other truncated cone is something i used to boolean out the landing gear pivots and really shouldn't be there.

the tyres are new, i don't like them that much, previously they were low poly wheels from the XR2. the material is just a temporary thing, i agree it looks a bit too wet.
    John Harris, Chris Foss and even a little Chris Moore. But mostly John Harris. That is what this 3D piece of awesomeness reminds me of. Especially your last posted picture. Wow :)
  • yasotayyasotay0 Posts: 0Member
    I hope the tube out the starboard side is for people transfer and retracts thus reducing potential aerodynamic issues!?!
    cavebear wrote: »
    John Harris, Chris Foss and even a little Chris Moore. But mostly John Harris. That is what this 3D piece of awesomeness reminds me of. Especially your last posted picture. Wow :)

I'm huge Foss fan, but i'm not familar with the others, my real design hero is Ron Cobb, because he makes things which look like they actually work, and thats something i try and do as well. most illustrators don't really consider that so much (admittedly, they don't generally need to) Foss has a very fantastical style for example... so what i hope to accomplish here is to marry an interesting slightly fantastical design with working features and set it up so it looks like it really works.

yasotay, ya really think i'm gonna leave that hanging out of the side there?;)
  • PipPip171 Posts: 0Member
    ...but the guy i think was always jealous of how popular my work was at the time and had a real problem with me as a result.

:o That just makes it even more OMGWTF'ish.

Anyway, I really love the shuttle's current color! It's like a stylelized mini sub right now. :) (Which are more yellow)
  • FreakFreak1090 Posts: 4,361Member
    Dam Steve don't know how I missed this one.

I not had time to read the thread. (but I will.)
    I've got say for a hunter she does not look much like a war ship.

But she does look like one fine ship to replace the Shuttle. ;)
    I'm huge Foss fan, but i'm not familar with the others, my real design hero is Ron Cobb, because he makes things which look like they actually work, and thats something i try and do as well. most illustrators don't really consider that so much (admittedly, they don't generally need to) Foss has a very fantastical style for example... so what i hope to accomplish here is to marry an interesting slightly fantastical design with working features and set it up so it looks like it really works.

yasotay, ya really think i'm gonna leave that hanging out of the side there?;)

Oh then please google John Harris. I would bet that you have seen a lot of his art and just never knew who created it. Or try googling "Crystal Henge". That is one of his best known paintings. He has a nice site but my work computer will not let me see it. Chris Moore has some amazing work out there too.
    Is this the right guy; Official website of John Harris: landscape, science fiction and marine artist ??

First result on google was for the journalist and author.
    Lord Erisu wrote: »
    Is this the right guy; Official website of John Harris: landscape, science fiction and marine artist ??

First result on google was for the journalist and author.

Yep, that's him :) and Chris Moore's page is here
    ok, here's a bit more detailing on the nose... i've given a slightly feathery look to some panels on the border of the TPS and hull material, and the split canard control surfaces for a slightly more bird-like finish.
    66076.jpg
  • FreakFreak1090 Posts: 4,361Member
    Thats a sweet loooking nose.
  • OzylotOzylot332 Posts: 0Member
    It just occurred to me that this would be even cooler if it were a composite vehicle. (Forward section and a drive section) Not sure why that would be needed, but it might look cool.

Loving the work so far! Keep it up!
  • DimitriyDimitriy0 Posts: 0Member
    Looking good
    Interesting man. Very interesting.