Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3D-= MadKoiFish's Trek Crap :p =-

• MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9821 Posts: 5,331Member
    BTW anyone off hand remember what hell dai a typical warp core hatch is?!?! Looking at things it seems to be variable based on the ship.
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
  • XRaiderV1.7XRaiderV1.7226 I have absolutely no ideaPosts: 1,074Member
    as a rule, and bear in mind this is pixel art I'm skilled in.. I use voyager's core hatch.

warp cores are rather tiny components comparitively speaking to the ship they're fitted to.. so realistically it could be any size, even the dinky tiny arsed core in the defiant class if thats what you wanted.
    Yeah have had those images for a while. Issue is no relevant size comparos etc. ATM Im guessing about 6 to 8 ft in dai to allow the AM core to pass (thinking tng core the dylithium chamber fat bit) Past I have used anywhere between 8ft to 16ft dai holes. taking account bezels framing etc around it. Spent most of the day fooling about and faffing on forums and boards getting distracted from the search for canon evidence or quoted sizes.
    Here is a big green thing @8ft dai. One is a core hatch the other likely a fill port and will be smaller of the 2. On the aft one you can see a 5'10" person for size comparo. Forward one was marked for the core when I did the sketch of the bottom of the ship.
  • StarscreamStarscream231 Posts: 1,049Member
    Like the dual phaser banks - much improved over the usual lone bank most are equipped with!
  • lennier1lennier1913 Posts: 1,283Member
    It's great how you even added a small T-shaped cut-out to hint at the classic Connie.
    lennier1 wrote: »
    It's great how you even added a small T-shaped cut-out to hint at the classic Connie.

ya, I particularly liked that myself.
  • IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
    I like all the little panel lines and markings you've added, except the square-ish ones on the panels around the saucer, I don't think they work so well like the rest
    I think you guys are seeing gubbins due to the as yet uncut details down there. I had planned for that gray thing as a hard point further up between the ports.

IRML: do you mean those blueish panels with the circuit board like pattern on the panels near the innermost lifeboats? If so that is temporary. Plan is to cut those into the hull by hand and mimic the panels that are similar to it on the ent-e upper saucer hull. That is if I follow through on this with those lower panels.

Update: I decided to go for a hatch over a round port. All the wonk hull angles down there would have meant huge cutouts to level off the faces so that the port would work properly. The red lights are just examples and much of the wonky will be worked out as I do other work down in that area. I have vents and other crap I need to model yet and those have to wait for the hull plating to be extruded etc. Also ignore some of the panel colours, most are temp atm and not final.
  • EBOLIIEBOLII205 Posts: 362Member
    A ship that size....would there be only 2?
    temp or not, still looks good.
    EBOLII wrote: »
    A ship that size....would there be only 2?
    I do not follow this thing is in-between the Galaxy and SOV in length. Likely about the same in mass.

Oh you mean phasers strips. On the belly yes, since the galaxy and sov only had one.
    Well got the rough layout of the rest of the plating set up after a long break to kill polygon people. I am burning out fast so I doubt I will get any further tonight.
  • EBOLIIEBOLII205 Posts: 362Member
    Speaking of engine core...only 2? Regardless your designs always work and your details flow
    Nope only one. The other hole is a umbilical.
  • aylaa12aylaa120 Posts: 0Member
    amazing
    Not a big update but panels are set up for extrusion and added in some gubbins near the deflector.
    Where it was when I went out to mow the yard and wash all the sap off the car. Ended up waxing the bean too. Now food so dunno might cop out on anything further tonight, but again might not. :p
    Needless to say I screwed up, the bevel on the panels was going the wrong way. Im my rush I forgot to remove the "-" SO I had to redo it all from scratch since my undo did not go back far enough to allow me to rescue the work done prior to beveling things. AUGH. SO yeah, nothing new least it looks proper with how light hits things than prior.
    A go at the strut crap. Not too sure been arguing over this crap all afternoon. I think they are not long enough but this is before the plating and other gubbins I plan to add. I guess after errands I will decide wtf I will do with this area. The struts are much narrower than they used to be on all previous versions of this ship so I shortened things up. So ehh that and on top of it all the complexity of putting all this crap onto a curved pylon. BLEH. Anyhow. Be as what it may.
    Well I decided to change it. But still the panels on there are bleh and I got a bit carried away extruding them, again I will likely redo those. The gray ones are not suppose to be inline with the white.
  • trekie015trekie0150 Posts: 0Member
    This is amazing work, is there a possibility of making a video starship modeling tutorial?
    I dislike tut videos so likely never see one from me. But besides that a video tut on this ship would take up hours upon hours. And on top of that a singular make ship tut will not teach you everything you'd need to have in your bag of tricks. Each design will produce it's own challenges. Best bet is to get a basis in box modeling and sub div, there are other methods out there for creating form but these are the basics to which to grow from. What is required to model a car tyre is the same techniques for a saucer or bit of engine.

Update:
    What a day of redos UGH. But I got the rough work done on this strut finally. I have a mess of small markings etc to go but I think I am done with the "redoing" of bits.
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Looking great as ever, though I'm thinking those dark grey panels towards the root of them make the pylons look maybe a little too busy?
  • aylaa12aylaa120 Posts: 0Member
    great work as always lov the paneling on the pylons nice concept great work overall I can't wait to see her finished
    Underside strut details.
    really nice.
  • colbmistacolbmista2 Posts: 0Member
    why have sucha short phaser strip on the struts why not have it go along the whole back side of it???
    Because there is no point in making them longer, the reason the others are as long as they are is to cover other angles, note how they wrap across blond spots. Galaxy and SOVv2 has strips of this size. SOV had many short strips on her saucer and struts.