Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

LW 9 Help

2»

• fluxfirefluxfire181 Posts: 604Member
    Hahahahaha yeah me and reading manuals that usualy doesn't happen :D

But if reading the manual will tell me more on how to do things in LW then sure why not.(looks for PDF)
  • Andrew MarchAndrew March0 Posts: 0Member
    I used to be the same, but trust me it will help you loads.
    AHhhhhhh i found the PDF manual YEAY!!!
  • mattcmattc181 Perth, AuPosts: 322Member
    Go grab yourself a copy of Dan Ablan's Inside Lightwave 8 (or 9) book.

Well worth the effort.

M
    Definately got to agree with Matt, get them all if you can.
  • mattcmattc181 Perth, AuPosts: 322Member
    Essential LW 8 is also fairly good....

M.
    A buddy of mine is sending me his copy of the VTC Training DVD but it is for LW 7.5c but i can still use that to learn the basiscs of all the controlls the only thing that will be realy different is the hotkeys but thats no biggie.
    There are some pretty evident differences in menu layout but you can either find where everything is in LW9 or change the menu to a previous version.
    Actualy i did try changing the menu layout but i still find i have issues with TUT's that don't include setting for LW 9 Speacialy the Sheild tut that is for LW 6 for some reason i can't quite get it to work. Theres gotta be some thing i am missing.

Oh got those training videos from my buddy there are 159 of them i am on 110 most insightfull as to what does what.

And is there a better way to do explosions with hypervoxels one that doesn't take 1hr to render with only 60frames?
    This is one of those things I mentioned before, use stock footage to do explosions instead of HV's ;) (Artbeats or Detonation films).

Hypervoxels are a volumetric element and they will take a long time to render.

There's nothing you can do about it regrdless of whatever 3d app you're using.
    So instead of using HV's i should use explosion footage from some where else?

Is there a better or should i say less render intensive way of doing explosions in LW?
    Nope you've got it. I think I mentioned before that Lucas film used a combination of stock footage and particles (HV's) for episode III, of course Georgie boy has a vast amount of computer resource at his disposal so rendering a few particles isn't a problem.

Us mere mortals generally have one or two PC's at our disposal and sometimes even they are not dedicated 'graphics workstations'.

Your particles could be rendered in a seperate pass with alpha channel data and com'p later on, either way is still time consuming but at least you could render your particles without ray-traced shadows etc... (which slows down particle rendering big-time).
  • IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
    here's one I did with hypervoxels about 3 and a half years ago, it renders pretty quick but andrew is right, you really should be looking for stock footage, it'll look more realistic than anything HVs could do, most CG explosions are done with in-house software like what DD did with stealth, you'll find even the big studios like ILM prefer to use stock footage and only resort to CG fire when they really have to, in the opening battle of revenge of the sith there were only 3 cg explosions - the rest was stock - which were rendered with some fire shader in houdini, definatly stuff that LW can't do

however, I would use HVs to create a 3D mask for the stock footage, making it appear more 3D against the objects it's appearing from, also render your HVs without any motion blur, it's 5 passes minimum for classic motion blur in LW, if you turn AA off completely and have no blur you'll reduce your render time down to 1/5 of what it was before, then when you apply your motion blur in post it'll smooth out and look so much better because of the slight randomness you get with having no AA
  • IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
    also check out dynamite, here's some fire and smoke I rendered a while ago using just the voxel part of the plugin

http://www.lwg3d.org/upload/general/2006/01/9161-16-448735.avi

it's slow but you can get better results than with default HVs, in the animation you can see the single particles on the left, and the blended particles on the right, and it's a good example of the temperature controls and particle rotation that default HVs don't have, the fluid simulator part of the plugin is even better, you can see the great motion you can get with it in my post below

http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/3d-questions-answers/3383-kawoosh-3.html#post69165
    Interesting. Hum i guess i will have to play with the V to figure out what i want, and where do i get stock space explosion footage?
  • GuerrillaGuerrilla795 HelsinkiPosts: 2,868Administrator
    For example:

Detonation Films -- Some free samples here; some commercial stuff.
    Artbeats - Royalty Free Stock Footage For the Video Professional -- Commercial stuff.

Or just Google stock footage.
    Comco: i entered it manually in the back end
    Join our fancy Discord Server!
    Heh NEAT!!!!

Thanks.