Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DSC-60F Goliath Heavy Lift Shuttle

13»

• sorceress21sorceress21269 Posts: 577Member
    Anybody actually know what the upward poly count limit is for Sketchup? Borgman?
  • Sly AssassinSly Assassin0 Posts: 0Member
    Thats some nice work there Sorceress keep it up :)
  • BorgManBorgMan209 DutchlandPosts: 581Member
    To be honest I have no idea, the only thing SU does when having a lot of polies is hickupping a little bit when trying to revolve around a model. For the rest... Haven't got a clue...

Nice ship, by the way, those are some nice organic lines you've got there ^_^
    Bump for posterity...

Since the forum upgrade will kill old threads I wanted to make sure this one survived becuase of the similar design my shuttle has to the shuttle in the new film Avatar. I think it was a clear coincidence but I didn't want it to be said my design followed the film's.
    Though my design is a lot older then the Valkyrie from Avatar the film did inspire me to dust off this model and work on it more. The render just has placeholder materials so the texture work has yet to be done. The blended winglets were very challenging to model. But I'm pretty happy with how they came out.
    78677.jpg78657.jpg78656.jpg
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    I have said it before, those are some big ass engines.
    Escape velocity for the Earth is 11.2 km/s...Why do you think the shuttle has to ride to orbit on a pair of giant bottle rockets? Without some form of anti-gravity anything trans-atmospheric capable is gonna have BIG FAT ENGINES!:p:p

It is roughly a 28:1 ratio of how much thrust it takes to put a payload into orbit. 28 pounds of thrust to get one pound up there! My Goliath has a gross weight roughly 290,000 lbs. It takes roughly 8,120,000 lbs of thrust to get this shuttle into orbit at it's BOW. Add fuel, cargo, and it goes way up. So you'll need for an average lift over 10 million pounds of thrust to get to orbit....

Did you think that was gonna come from itsy bitsy wittle injins!:flippy:
  • Mikey-BMikey-B0 Posts: 0Member
    Don't ask me why, but the picture with the vehicle sitting on the runway reminds me of a cat sunning itself on a window sill. Looks pretty cool.

*purr purr purr* 10 million pounds of thrust *purr*
    lol
  • cavebearcavebear179 Posts: 623Member
    I like this one sorceress :) I always like the pics you throw in of the SU screen shots so I can see how you did something too. Keep up the good work :thumb:
    Here's the wireframe...
    78704.jpg
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,747Member
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    I cant wait to see it finished. it looks awsome
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,747Member
    It is a great design. Here was another HLLV spaceplane http://www.astronautix.com/lvs/staraker.htm
  • DimitriyDimitriy0 Posts: 0Member
    Call this strange, but a few days ago I was thinking of a similar thing ... while being stuck in traffic next to Toronto's airport. Great work and lets see this monster finished.