Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Stargate Hyperspace Window

• chevron_9chevron_90 Posts: 2Member
    Hey guys, I'm back.

I've once again begun trying to create a successful hyperspace effect.

I must say that I'm closer than before but I never saw that programmed hyperspace window that SGA-3D promised....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    Why not just do the noisy effect in after effects animate it there and then composit it into the scene?
    Errm, I have no idea what that is. I'll have a look.
  • SGA-3DSGA-3D0 Posts: 0Member
    Ah, you should have reminded me... Sorry, with exams and such, I've been all over the place recently...

Here we go (Pegasus Galaxy style):

CLICK ME
    Hmm, the link doesn't seem to work..
    It does. If you scroll down to the bottom and hit 'free' a new page will open, with a timer, wait for it to count down and download.
    When I click the link I get a blank page...lol.
    working fine here.
    God must hate me.

I wait all this time for a hyperspace window and when I finally get the link it doesn't work....Do you have the file anywhere else?
    Double post, sorry.

I've just rendered my final test of my hyperspace window. It's taken all day.

YouTube - Hyperspace_Jump
    it a good start but you really need to sort out your nighting the jumpgate could do with some work. and the shadow on the planet is wrong.
    1. I thought the lighting on the ship was good....
    2. I did the jump very badly, yes.
    3. I don't know how to stop the planet doing that. There are a few lights attached to the ship and they move around.
    can't you exclude the planet to receive lights and shadows from these lights?
    I'm not sure...
  • elitewolverineelitewolverine171 Posts: 0Member
    not bad...although the ship needs to enter that hyperspace window much much faster...and the brightness on the HW is way to high, its a very cloudy see threw type of effect and doesnt have high specularity or reflection...

but its very nice work so far keep it up...it took me a few days just to make a decent jet exhaust diamond flame although i work in blender
    I got the effect by accident and wanted to know what it looked like to I animated everything in about 5 minutes. I wasn't aware at the time that it would take over 7 hours to render.
  • elitewolverineelitewolverine171 Posts: 0Member
    chevron_9 wrote: »
    I got the effect by accident and wanted to know what it looked like to I animated everything in about 5 minutes. I wasn't aware at the time that it would take over 7 hours to render.

yea ouch those kind of renders hurt, whats your frame count etc...
    you actually can exclude the planet from lightning and shadowing.... god praise the composition tag...

right click on you planet object --> Cinema 4D Tags --> Compositing --> Activate what you need and be happy :) :thumb:

btw if you have R10 the interactive help should "help" alot :)
  • count23count23361 Posts: 781Member
    dude, you need to use the same particle generation effect as is shown in this one: YouTube - Stargate F304 in hyperspace and jump out hyperspace

The particles appear and disappear quite quickly, your last effect was more like a constantly open wormhole then the hyperspace window, but it's definently improving. All he did was have a fast particle generator with a point light in the centre (you have that part covered, just make the particles spawn and move faster)
    Formerly Nadesico.

Current Projects:
    Ambassador Class
    The problem I had was that I was using a lens flare and you can't turn it on and off on que, but thanks for those tips there.
    Hey guys.

I've pretty much perfected the hyperspace window, yet I'm having a few problems. I'm not sure how to create that brief flash that is created as a vessel impacts the event horizon of the window, plus I can't figure out how to make the ship just appear out of thin air.

Can anyone help me out?
    you need keyframes, a keyframe to control the flare size and intensity and a keyframe for the ship's transperency.
    Formerly Nadesico.

Current Projects:
    Ambassador Class
    You can do that, using C4D?

I was unaware.
    if it's 3d graphics, and you can animate, you have keyframes.
    Formerly Nadesico.

Current Projects:
    Ambassador Class
    Well yes I suppose.

Wouldn't happen to know exactly how would you. I've just been looking and I can't see any options for transparency and I just tried keyframing the lens flare without success.
    i don't use cinema, sorry, you'd probably have to look it up on google. I'm just trying to give you tips on how to accomplish what you're after.

Just googled this:
    MAXON - The makers of CINEMA 4D and BodyPaint 3D
    You can control the visibility of an object through the Display tag. In the Object Manager select the object whose visibility you want to adjust and go to File=>New Tag=>Display Tag. In the Attributes Manager you will see a Visibility checkbox, enable this option and you will be able to control the Visibility through a percentage field. Animate this parameter to have an object fade in / out.

The display in the editor will only show at 100% or 0%. But the render will show the interpolation of the visibility.

The second way to animate visibility is to animate the transparency channel in the Material applied to the object. To do this just apply a material turn on the transparency channel and drag and drop it into the Timeline. Once the material is in the Timeline you can add a brightness track the control the amount of transparency.

To make it appear and disappear, just set a keyframe to 0% visibility and the next keyframe to 100%
    Formerly Nadesico.

Current Projects:
    Ambassador Class
    Ah, got it.

Thanks a lot. :)
    YouTube - Hyperspace_Jump

This is what I came up with when I tried it all out. I know that the lens flare and ship re-intergration are a bit off, but that can be fixed.

Credit goes to Grzesiek for the model.
    YouTube - Hyperspace Dropout 3

Muhahahaha, here I have an improved version of my finished hyperspace window.
    That is a massive step forward. Now, when the hyperspace window opens, have it expand, rather than just appear. Good job.