Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Stargate Hyperspace Window

chevron_9chevron_90 Posts: 2Member
Hello, I have the 3D application Cinenma 4D, and I'm having problems creating a hyperspace window.
Can anybody help me?
Post edited by chevron_9 on

• GuerrillaGuerrilla795 HelsinkiPosts: 2,868Administrator
    Moving to 3d Q&A...
    Comco: i entered it manually in the back end
    Join our fancy Discord Server!
  • General_ZodGeneral_Zod0 Posts: 0Member
    Hello, I have the 3D application Cinenma 4D, and I'm having problems creating a hyperspace window.
    Can anybody help me?

google
  • GuerrillaGuerrilla795 HelsinkiPosts: 2,868Administrator
    I can't move stuff to google. :(
    Comco: i entered it manually in the back end
    Join our fancy Discord Server!
  • SGA-3DSGA-3D0 Posts: 0Member
    It depends on what show you are basing your hyperspace window on.
  • chevron_9chevron_90 Posts: 2Member
    Im basing it on the Stargate series.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    you don't get it, do you? the hyperspace windows look different in Stargate Atlantis and Stargate SG1.
  • lennier1lennier1913 Posts: 1,283Member
    Has that difference even been explained story-wise? Or is it just the most obvious explanation (something along the lines of "Once a galaxy has experienced one of Jack O´Neill´s farts the laws of physics will never be the same.")
    I think it's just more of a galactic colour scheme thing. In the Milky Way, space tends to be purple/red/brown/blue, so the hyperspace windows follow that colour scheme (purple/blue). Pegasus is a green galaxy, so green hyperspace windows.
  • MelakMelak332 Posts: 0Member
    I think except for the color, the hyperspace effects look quite similar..and I think that's why "He is not getting it", He simply wants somebody to give him insight on how to create a hyperspace effect, green or blue or purple! Maybe you should PM animaniac, he did 2 images with hyperspace windows that I know of, one with purple one with green, and he uses C4D, too.
    Excellent, thanks.

I'm pretty new at the program, but I did the scene in the avatar.

Heres a link to a bigger image.
    http://www.centralamb.co.uk/stargate/orbit.jpg
    the hyperspace windows, animaniac used, where both created by chris diston, also known as sga-3d.
    Do you know if I can get my hands on them, or shall I PM him?

I'm making a motion picture mini series on the X-304's 20 years in the future.
  • count23count23361 Posts: 781Member
    the SG-1 hyperspace windows are easy, just a particle emitter, a lense flare and a few gradient textures. The SGA ones are significantly harder, but they're still a 3d effect, rather then post production.
    Formerly Nadesico.

Current Projects:
    Ambassador Class
    You make it sound so easy. :P

I tried the emitter and lense flare, but I've never heard of gradient textures.

Anyway, can they be made to appear and disappear on cue?
    As in the series programs, as what I'm making aren't images, they're movies.
    ok, well in lightwave, the program they use. You can specify what particles are supposed to appear like, based on their density, or distances from the emitter.

That's what makes it look white close up and purple/blue as it fades. It's like keyframing, but keyframing textures instead of animation or motions. I'm not sure what your program uses, but i bet there is something similar in there.

To make the particles appear and disappear, your emitter should be able to set keyframes for start and end values of the particle emitter rate. So you can tell it 0 particles for no particle output, or a higher number for particles to emit (ie: open window).
    Formerly Nadesico.

Current Projects:
    Ambassador Class
    Yep, but Im talking about the ship, it's looks silly if its already there and then all of a sudden theres a puff of smoke.
    btw....change your sig...I had it first:mad:
    LOL, I didn't see that.

It's my favourite quote.
    Sorry to double post but I wanted to show you this clip that I've just done.
    It's the Oddysey dropping out of hyperspace behind the Independance in orbit around Earth.
    I know it's noobish and pretty rubbish but bear in mind that this is my first attempt.

YouTube - Stargate - Hyperspace Dropout 1

I'd appreciate some tips or comments on it.

BTW, I have no idea why it does that wierd little dance at the end.
    you need to adjust the key frames. the ship moves backwards, after slowing down. you also need to work on that lighting. looks like a single light source, which in fact might be correct, but isn't really pretty.
    It is one light source.

Im a beginner when it comes to modelling.
    Okay, what I'll do is render an animated window (SG1 and Atlantis) and put host it here at SFM in the textures section.
    The drop from hyperspace should be alot longer and actually faster. Your ship seems to decelerate in notime. Now to the light setup.
    Make a try with a 3 Point light setup. 1 Fill light to give you some brightness in the scene. 1 Backlight (from behind the object to enhance the visibility of the shape) and one directional light with shadows from the viewers direction.
    Ok thanks. I'll try that.

And SGA-3D, I appreciate that. :)
    Particle window needs to be much larger, needs to be there for a few seconds BEFORE the ship comes out, and needs to stick around for a while after the ship's vanished.
    Formerly Nadesico.

Current Projects:
    Ambassador Class
    True, I've just watched Ethon, watching the hyperspace winodows on the prometheus.

But there seems to be some kind of lightning/electrical perimeter around the SG hyperspace windows. Any idea on how I would go about creating that effect with C4D?
    Sorry for the double post...again, lol. But I've just rendered a new clip using some of your advice.

YouTube - Hyperspace Dropout 2

Comments? :)
    ok, that is definently better, but your particle shower will still need work.

As for the rainbow energy effect, that's actually produced by using those gradient textures i mentioned before, it's a combination of a gradient value to make a rainbowy-like ring around the ship, and then using a number of transperancy gradients to provide a fractal noise pattern over the rainbow to give it an energy effect. I'm not sure how it can be implemented in non LW though.
    Formerly Nadesico.

Current Projects:
    Ambassador Class
    *Nods, pretending to understand to avoid the appearence of ignorance* lol.
    if you have mograph you could try to arrange the particles on some spline shapes. i dunno but as far as i am concerned the basic form of a sg hyperspace window looks like the sketch attached. maybe you could model the general shape and then do the effects via texture animation and scaling the model. also your deceleration process needs work. the drop from hyperspace is not that instantanious like yours. the slowing down process should be some kind of parabola. first fast then slower.