Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DUSS Kiaga - Perimeter Action Vessel

VektorVektor332 Posts: 0Member
edited October 2010 in Work in Progress #1
Over on TrekBBS, Aridas Sofia of "Ships of the Star Fleet" fame posted schematics for a new design of his, a TOS-era perimeter action vessel named the Kiaga. I liked the design so much that I decided to model it in 3D, with Aridas' permission of course. Yeah, I know, I've got enough WIP projects running already, but at least they're all still more or less active, and what's one more to add to the mix? ;)

Here are the latest schematics provided by Aridas:

kiaga-top-rev1.jpg
kiaga-port-rev1.jpg
kiaga-bottom-rev1.jpg
kiaga-bow-rev1.jpg
kiaga-aft-rev1.jpg

And here are my 3D renderings thusfar:

wip_001.jpg
wip_002.jpg
wip_003.jpg
wip_004.jpg
wip_005.jpg

The original thread on TrekBBS can be found here.

Once again, this is based on an original design by Aridas Sofia. See FRS - Home for more of his work.
85089.jpg
Post edited by Vektor on
Tagged:

• exodus2310exodus2310331 Posts: 0Member
    Awesome design. Can't wait to see more progress from the model.
  • RamielRamiel336 Posts: 0Member
    No offence, but...
    I like more your modeling than the design...:shiner:
    Nice work so far Vektor:thumb:
  • seanrseanr1126 Brooklyn, NYPosts: 603Member
    Wish you'd finish the others first (LOL), but looks great so far.
  • Legolas25Legolas250 Posts: 0Member
    Really really nice, but I think I'd like it more upside down. :)
  • ScorndrakeScorndrake0 Posts: 0Member
    Looks ok for a pregnant Starship or a beached whale class!:thumb:
  • VektorVektor332 Posts: 0Member
    Another three hours worth of work, mostly detailing:

wip_006.jpg
    wip_007.jpg
    wip_008.jpg
    wip_009.jpg

I should probably mention that the appearance of the bussard collectors is not final, I just slapped a fairly basic texture on them for added color.

Now all I gotta do is add those various pods and bulges to the primary hull, which is turning out to be more complicated than it sounds. Stay tuned.
  • StarshipStarship465 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member
    When I first saw it, I donA’t know why, my mind named her as USS HORNET.:p

Nice modelling Vektor, as usual. Can I ask you about the texture settings of the main hull ? Are you using maps in diffuse, specular and some sort of smoke over them ? I would like to learn a little from there so, if you could present the general settings, IA’ll be gratefull. ;)
  • USS MarinerUSS Mariner0 Posts: 0Member
    Any chance for a wireframe? Even though box modeling scares me, I'd like to see it out of curiosity. :)
  • exodus2310exodus2310331 Posts: 0Member
    It's coming along nicely. Good work.
  • backsteptbackstept2080 Posts: 929Member
    Nice work :thumb:
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    nice and very organic!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    Hmm, I think it looks better upside down, (I turned my monitor upside down) :shiner:, but the modelling is top notch as usuall. :thumb:
  • PhaserPhaser0 Posts: 0Member
    This looks sweet!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    looks cool! its got a very cartoony look to it, which is cool!
  • admiral hortonadmiral horton201 Posts: 145Member
    i just saw this design i like it the only thing i have to say bad about it is the secondary hull it just doesnt look right but the overall deisgn is good
    Starship wrote: »
    When I first saw it, I donA’t know why, my mind named her as USS HORNET.:p

The tail is somewhat suggestive of a stinger.
    Can I ask you about the texture settings of the main hull ? Are you using maps in diffuse, specular and some sort of smoke over them ? I would like to learn a little from there so, if you could present the general settings, IA’ll be gratefull. ;)

I have a very simple panel texture in the diffuse slot and a more contrasty version of the same texture in the specular level slot. The base diffuse color for the texture is gray tinted ever so slightly toward green, and the diffuse and specular level maps are at 35% and 50%, respectively, so the base color predominates and there's just a hint of the panel texture, mostly where the light catches it. That's basically it.
    Any chance for a wireframe? Even though box modeling scares me, I'd like to see it out of curiosity. :)

Happy to oblige.

wip_010.jpg
    wip_011.jpg

The second image is actually the unsmoothed base mesh for the secondary hull.
    The latest and greatest:

wip_014.jpg
    wip_015.jpg
    wip_016.jpg
    wip_017.jpg
    wip_018.jpg

There's lots of new stuff to talk about in these images. One of the more obvious additions is the aircraft aluminum hull suggested by the ship's designer. No, I'm sure it's not really aircraft aluminum, but that's the look he wanted to represent the ship at a time when it was still in the prototype phase and undergoing design trials. I'll probably be adding some checkerboard bands to the nacelle housing as well.

I did finally get the sensor domes finished, as well as what I'm calling the "jowl cannons." LOL. Hey, Apache helicopters have "chin guns," but these are out to the sides and they're way bigger so I dubbed them jowl cannons. I'm sure Aridas has a more technically appropriate name for them. ;)

I got pretty much all of the markings and insignia finished except for some stuff on the secondary hull and the starboard nacelle. I'm holding off going any further with that stuff pending a possible change to the size of the various registry numbers.

Regarding the nacelle pylons, I've taken steps to beef up their sturdiness a little bit, also pending approval from the designer. I kept the leading and trailing edges at their former thickness but I bowed the upper and lower surfaces outward a bit, more like an aircraft wing. Interestingly, this gives them a very similar cross-section to the pylons on the TMP refit Enterprise and I may be going a couple of steps further in that direction.

I'm working with Aridas on several other possible design changes, including the addition of an upper sensor dome, some intake grills for the warp nacelles, a saucer separation mode, and even the idea of making this ship landable on a planet's surface!

Stay tuned.
  • MichaelSMichaelS0 Posts: 0Member
    Simply stunning. I love the mock-aluminium look!
    This is Star Trek.
  • DamienNZDamienNZ0 Posts: 0Member
    Great as always Vek. Love the lines. Very TOS :)
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    Looks Great, VeK You have done a excellent job on this!
  • BEMEUPBEMEUP171 Va BeachPosts: 0Member
    I saw this design about a week ago and wondered what it would look like rendered. You've done a fantastic mesh job and texturing (as usual)! You really brought the ship alive! Wish more people would do unique ships like this.

Can't wait to see more...
  • BerticusBerticus171 Posts: 63Member
    Wee! This is a truely original design, and very well executed into 3d as well.

Great work. (Will there be windows on this thing, or is it akin to todays submersibles.... military ones anyway.)
    -albert
    No windows. This is strictly a military vessel, a Perimeter Action ship.
  • drudru0 Posts: 0Member
    You rock. Love the machined aluminum look. :thumb:
  • Cyba_stormCyba_storm171 Posts: 0Member
    This ship looks more like something Buck Rogers would Captain, as opposed to James Kirk. There is a strong 1930 look to it. I am not sure I like the design, but cannot help but be impressed with the modelling and texturing. Nice work.
    It's supposed to be 1930-40's art deco influenced. You've got it on the money.

That, and the ship is intended for a completely different role than the 1701.
    No real time to work on the Kiaga today but I thought I'd go ahead and post a new rendering showing the top sensor dome and slotted nacelle struts. I originally thought the dome was a good idea, then I wasn't so sure after I actually modeled it, but now I find it is growing on me once again. The dicision will be up to Aridas.

wip_019.jpg
  • admiral hortonadmiral horton201 Posts: 145Member
    very nice great job