Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DI'm Doing My Part

Mustang13Camaro68Mustang13Camaro68328 DetroitPosts: 159Member
edited December 2023 in Work in Progress #1
27ydo8doia1a.png
d7oji2fdrt5k.jpg
Getting sick of the seaQuest. I'll put it aside for awhile.
I've ALWAYS wanted a physical model of the Roger Young from Starship Troopers, so for this project I'm going to model for 3d printing, not rendering. Which means clean, closed, watertight meshes - no cheating.
There's a few models available on the Internet, but they're not very accurate or the mesh isn't 3d printable. So, like Thanos, I'll just have to do it myself.
I've roughed in the major shapes by modeling over an existing 3d model (digitawn's). Now to start examining all the photo ref I have and adjust my model forms to be screen accurate.
Then I'll figure out how best to break it up for 3D printing and assembly.
Then I'll get into the finer details and greebles.
Then print.
Then paint.
Then rig lighting.
Considering I'm a noob to the last 2 steps, I'll probably finish this project by the year the movie actually takes place...
swbtuagala69.jpg
gk3812ldqtc8.jpg
Post edited by Mustang13Camaro68 on
MustangCamaro's Other Projects: TaelonMothership MarsAttacks SeaQuestDSV
StarCruiserStarriggerashleytingerWarp Propulsion Laboratoryevil_genius_180publiusrwibbleBolianAdmiralscifiericJESand 3 others.

• evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    YES!! One of my favorite movies of all time and I absolutely love the ships. (the novel is a good read too) Great work so far.

Just one question: Are you going to put the Millennium Falcon on the back of the tower?
    Mustang13Camaro68scifieric
  • Mustang13Camaro68Mustang13Camaro68328 DetroitPosts: 159Member
    YES!! One of my favorite movies of all time and I absolutely love the ships. (the novel is a good read too) Great work so far.

Just one question: Are you going to put the Millennium Falcon on the back of the tower?

Oh, of course. Its pretty visible. Maybe 1 or 2 of the R2D2s as well, though I doubt they'd show up in a print.
    evil_genius_180scifieric
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1115 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,567Member
    YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS…
    6uthcvfmpew6.jpg

Minor Update:

Lost some modelling I did to the side and back due to some 3ds Max file shenanigans OR me opening and saving over the wrong file. Not too terrible. Life goes on.

Started adding tabs and slots that will make all the 3d printed parts eventually fit together like Legos. Not sure if this will be a curse to add lighting wires inside once its printed. I'm figure that I can cut through areas where necessary once its printed.

ctu5m21kicob.jpg

Not sure if this is the best approach, or if I should figure out how to add some sort of "spine" inside the whole thing to give it strength. Like a piece of PVC pipe or something.

Began detailing the front most part of the ship.
    evil_genius_180StarCruiserpubliusrLizzy777japetussrspicerwibblescifieric
  • ashleytingerashleytinger2018 Central OhioPosts: 1,246Member
    Well how big is the model going to be?
    scifieric

I'm thinking roughly 3 feet long. Large enough for the details to be visible not so large its unwieldy.
    scifieric
  • ashleytingerashleytinger2018 Central OhioPosts: 1,246Member

I'm thinking roughly 3 feet long. Large enough for the details to be visible not so large its unwieldy.

You could probably get away with not having a centerline support then
    scifieric
    Continuing to flesh out the "Head" with panel details. Maybe 50 percent done with those.
    w50rf094m1ou.jpg
    ashleytingerevil_genius_180publiusrStarCruiserLizzy777BolianAdmiraljapetusscifieric
    Head panels finished. Not sure if I'm gonna model greebles in the horizontal channels or do it in the real world somehow.
    Next up, the paneling on the terraced "Chin".
    Starting a new job this week, so progress will likely slow down.
    On the other hand, money is good. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    pb9l5wi3xnhd.jpg
    StarCruiserBolianAdmiraljapetusevil_genius_180Lizzy777wibblescifieric
  • HelotHelot391 Posts: 164Member
    This is cool. The Lego linking for assembly seems smart.
  • japetusjapetus2957 SeattlePosts: 1,399Member
    edited October 2023 #12
    AAWW yeah.... Good luck! It's a bit of a beast to model!
    I hope it's as big as the filming model :D
    https://live.staticflickr.com/1246/1427710741_d2f4f32251.jpg
    Post edited by japetus on
    japetus wrote: »
    AAWW yeah.... Good luck! It's a bit of a beast to model!
    I hope it's as big as the filming model :D
    https://live.staticflickr.com/1246/1427710741_d2f4f32251.jpg

Yeah - its daunting. But, I'm tackling it one section at a time.

Questions on your Roger Young - did you model the greebles yourself, or use some existing ones from a 3d library? I'm trying to decide how best to approach them.

LOL. 18 foot 3d print? I can only dream :P
    My God, how many tens of thousands of dollars would that even cost? Probably cheaper to just buy one of the actual filming models. In reality, I'm shooting for a 3 foot model.
    BolianAdmiralscifieric
    Three feet will make a really nice display size. :)

Eighteen feet is more like "where the heck am I going to put this?" :lol:
  • srspicersrspicer391 Posts: 335Member
    " I would like to know more...." ;}
    BolianAdmiralscifieric
    Reworked the overall form of the "Chin" some more and started adding panels to it.

I've also added the triangular side port. This was never on the physical model, but added through CGI for the sequence where Carmen, pilots the ship away from the dock. The triangular ports are missing from all other shots in the movie too, since they probably didn't think audiences would notice, and probably didn't have the rendering availability anyway. Finding enough computers to render the show was a big issue apparently.

Currently, I'm modeling one side and mirroring to the other. This results in symmetrical paneling on both sides of the ship. The real model didn't do this, but I don't think I'm up to doing twice as much panel work. Maybe I'll un-symmetrize the "Head" and "Chin" in the future (as that's where the non-symmetrical panels are most noticeable) but, not for now.

I'm considering printing these 2 pieces right now to see how the paneling translates into plastic before paneling the rest of the ship (and potentially doing panels in a way that doesn't look good when printed).
    I'd have to resurrect my 3d printer somehow. Hmmmm.

d7oji2fdrt5k.jpg
    evil_genius_180StarCruiserLizzy777wibbleBolianAdmiralscifieric
    Looking great. The paneling on this thing is a beast, to say nothing of the other details.

Now I'm going to have to rewatch the movie to see that port in that one shot. Like I needed an excuse to watch it again. ;) Though, one of these days, I need to read the novel again.
  • wibblewibble1145 Weimar, GermanyPosts: 511Member
    The triangular ports are missing from all other shots in the movie too, since they probably didn't think audiences would notice.
    As much as it regards me they have been right.
    Struggling to add boolean'd geometry in the detail sections in an efficient manner.
    Taking forever and 3ds max isn't making the process easy. It can't reliably place an object on the surface of another. Booleans are... ify. I dunno.
    27ydo8doia1a.png
    Starriggerevil_genius_180BolianAdmiralStarCruiserLizzy777scifieric
  • StarriggerStarrigger475 Posts: 698Member
    Feel for you, detail is my Kryptonite!
    Come on over to my place CGI Worlds
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1115 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,567Member
    I guess you could say that in-universe, those docking triangles retract behind a hull panel that covers them or something, lol.
    I guess you could say that in-universe, those docking triangles retract behind a hull panel that covers them or something, lol.

You and your sensible ret-con...

I actually saw a shop picture recently of the docking triangle on a studio model. Dunno what happened that it wasn't in the rest of the shots! Wish I had downloaded it.
    scifieric
  • japetusjapetus2957 SeattlePosts: 1,399Member
    Struggling to add boolean'd geometry in the detail sections in an efficient manner.
    Taking forever and 3ds max isn't making the process easy. It can't reliably place an object on the surface of another. Booleans are... ify. I dunno.
    27ydo8doia1a.png

Hey man glad to see you attempting this beast too! I have a bit of experience with it…. 🤣 about placement, dunno if you know about the Select and Place tool in Max, can be quite handy for placement. Also if you can get a hold of the latest Max, they redid booleans witha boolean modifier now, so handy. I hope you continue with this!
    japetus wrote: »

Hey man glad to see you attempting this beast too! I have a bit of experience with it…. 🤣 about placement, dunno if you know about the Select and Place tool in Max, can be quite handy for placement. Also if you can get a hold of the latest Max, they redid booleans witha boolean modifier now, so handy. I hope you continue with this! [/quote]

Ooops. Totally blanked on responding, sorry.
    New job and new side jobs have kept me busy. Prolly won't get back to this until winter comes around and I don't wanna go outside.

Yes! the new boolean modifier is so much better. I started redoing this with that and I think its gonna allow me to get things done. Still have to be judicious with the amount of booleans, but its way more useful.