Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DSolaris Class in Blender 3.4

KirtemorKirtemor417 Posts: 97Member
edited April 2023 in Work in Progress #1
Beginning my first fully Blender build. Found a lot of great tutorials here and on YouTube. The original design is by Michael Alexander and what I am using as a base for her is found here: https://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/lcars/ma-nx-1701-a-enterprise.php

rn3ga61w17bc.png

I plan on deviating a little from the design, while trying to stay true to it.

vfh3mrt0pd48.png

tcznyaxzb5te.png

Post edited by Kirtemor on
evil_genius_180ashleytingerbacksteptwibbleLizzy777StarCruiserJESscifieric
Tagged:

• evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    It looks like a nice start. :)
    scifieric
  • dcomprimedcomprime195 Posts: 123Member
    Great job bro...very nice.
    scifieric
  • KirtemorKirtemor417 Posts: 97Member
    edited March 2023 #4
    Thanks... Beginning work on the basic shape I want for the nacelles. Honestly, I am wavering between the ones on the Titan-A and Sagan class Stargazer, or the ones Michael Alexander designed which are more TMP/Lost Era. I have a kitbash I used in a video I made in Blender here that I happen to like:

I feel the Nacelles will end up determining the era and overall look.
    I am not entirely happy with the results, but It was my first real attempt at something like that.

Post edited by Kirtemor on
    Lizzy777srspicerscifieric
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,746Member
    Those look nice.
    New Nacelles... first attempt.

yycascqb40kj.png
    JESevil_genius_180StarCruiserLizzy777publiusrscifieric
  • JESJES390 Posts: 194Member
    The thing about the Solaris class is that there is definitely room, and most likely would be a number of marques and upgrades. The above image is likely a typical example of what the class would have looked like at the time the prototype Ambassador was launched. They probably would have been around even during the Dominion War, complete with collimated phaser array and ASRV escape pod upgrades.

The version with the Sagan-type nacelles would have likely been the last upgrade, a necessity following the desolating destruction of the Utopia Planitia Fleet Yards in what is now considered the Prime Timeline, and the heavy fleet losses and likely annihilation of many orbital shipyards during the Borg Invasion of 2381 in the First Splinter Timeline, which was considered the Prime Timeline for a long time.

It's not as though the Excelsior class didn't go through a number of different tranches, and I'd expect post-Constitution designs like the Solaris, smaller than the Excelsior class, and likely a supplement/replacement to the Constitution class, to have an even higher production rate.

There are likely a number of other smaller Heavy Cruisers like the Renaissance class, but I'm sure that combined, there would be more of these medium-sized cruisers than the Excelsior class in total, due to taking less crew and resources to operate.

The Solaris class is an odd duck, with her strange spud-shaped secondary hull, and yet there is just something about her unusual appearance that makes her appealing.
    Love the take on her. I couldn't agree more.
  • Cleric_GCleric_G0 Posts: 1Member
    Beautiful shape looking forward to seeing more
    Progress!
    vz51n6bldo2q.png
    4lqz5yn9bd45.png
    0coh9i7bir3e.png

evil_genius_180StarCruiserLizzy777cool65JES
    Now... do I do hull Paneling or windows first. I know I still have some things to add, namely phasers, torpedo tubes, shuttle bay, and such, but I don't want to paint myself into the proverbial corner.
    Looking really good. As for paneling or windows, I personally like to do the paneling first. I But, it really depends on the method you're using and how you like to do things.
    scifieric
    Progress Update! Figured out Paneling for the shield grid, got the Shuttlebay set, and a few more details.
    tqfkovk98y3u.png
    2o48a3qa0eyz.png
    9pc4p2n5w9vu.png

StarCruiserLizzy777evil_genius_180
    What's the best way to do the registry and livery on the hull's surface?
    Kirtemor wrote: »
    What's the best way to do the registry and livery on the hull's surface?

There are a few schools of thought here. One that I know @backstept likes is to use the shrinkwrap modifier. Basically, you just model the text and "hover" it over the spot where you want it. Then you add the shrinkwrap modifier (you may have to convert the text to a mesh first, I don't remember) and select the object you're wanting the text over to wrap it to that object. Personally, I have mixed results using that method. I can only sometimes get things to wrap properly. What I usually do is position and hover the text where I want it over the object, convert it to a mesh and then extrude it to where it goes into the object I want the text on. Then I use a booleans modifier set to "intersect." I apply that and then delete what I don't need. I usually make the text itself about 1-2cm thick and I move it away from the object by 1mm. This works well for me, better than the results I've had with shrinkwrap. The third method is to just texture it. Personally, I texture as little as I can, that's why I left that for last.
    scifieric
  • backsteptbackstept2018 Posts: 918Member
    You have to convert to mesh before shrinkwrapping.

Here's a writeup of my process for shrinkwrapping registries. One thing I didn't mention there, but I'll go back and edit . . . in the object properties on your text mesh, uncheck diffuse, glossy, and shadow under ray visibility. This'll make the text look like it's on the surface instead of floating just above it.
    scifieric
    Thanks Guys! This information is going to help loads!
    scifieric
    Love that 3/4 view
    More Progress. Almost to windows and texturing.

ohbd4dockl0i.png

f61446tmhi8r.png
    q6e9rhkj0lop.png
    0ns2oynzuk4p.png
    evil_genius_180StarCruiserscifiericLizzy777Starship
    Almost Complete! just a few more details to add!
    vqki3fi9o1gs.png
    6e2vrxz9maxj.png
    zaf1b2uefmg9.png
    8yfzn3nkv1pu.png
    imiq6v1g2c6e.png
    k62yim60akwn.png
    zuei6jhcghkz.png
    evil_genius_180StarCruiserLizzy777srspicer
    It might be nice to see an original non-Excelsior saucer on that secondary hull.
    hmmmm... perhaps....
    cco3gt6p9khz.pngnfgngw5pbus1.png

Something new I'm working on.
    Lizzy777evil_genius_180StarCruiser
    Nice, I like the shape.
  • Admiral156Admiral156180 Posts: 76Member
    Interesting design, I have seen it before but did not like it. However, I think your model helps bring it to life, your secondary hull and pylons look bulkier and more believable than the original drawings. Lowering the nacelles also makes it look much sleeker. Great job! Looking forward to seeing more.
    thanks!
    usbm74phbyed.png
    dpxl0x00gs9c.png
    Just a couple of renders with the Neo-Connie Nacelles. I like the way she looks with them. The Vanguard is all but done at this point. Might get around to the interiors eventually.
    Admiral156evil_genius_180StarCruiserLizzy777publiusr
  • Admiral156Admiral156180 Posts: 76Member
    Beautiful, looks great with either type of nacelles. You have far surpassed the original design.
    Thanks!
    Nice renders. I really like it with those nacelles.
    Publiusr wondered about a non-excelsior saucer on the Solaris class.... well it stuck in my head and this is the results so far.
    la3fuxm5aef1.jpg
    lze6j1aancbc.jpg
    52carubgesva.jpg
    9s45u9xdj2rz.jpg
    s45j4ng2qj92.jpg
    I want to call the class either Solaris III Class or Cayuga Class. Still trying out names for her. So far I have:
    USS Solaris NCC-92401
    USS Alexander NCC-1993-B
    USS Vanguard-1974-B

StarCruiserLizzy777publiusr