Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3D32nd Century Ships

natnat9 Posts: 3Member
It's been about 15 years since I touched any 3d software in a significant way, so I've been learning to use Blender now (LW / Maya about in the early 00s).

I've been toying with a few ideas of 32nd century ships, the first one i took a stab at is a version of the Defiant class, trying to keep in spirit of the original.

Deflector housing looks a little weirdly shapped from the side in orthographic but it looks ok from other angles i think...

7nd43svqji57.png
4ieouo39vvwr.png
339slvsw5dwg.png
ev5wt8ir45l1.png
1rgu74r2hofn.png
m2m2yn5wcew5.png
z7gmc5pei3qp.png
Lizzy777Ael'sMustang13Camaro68
Tagged:

Posts

  • Lizzy777Lizzy777984 PNWPosts: 691Member
    Looks like a solid start. To me, the 32nd-century ship designs look pretty open-ended so far and yet still maintain a distinct signature style.

    I'm keenly interested to see where you take this!
    "Cry 'Havoc!,' and let slip the corgies of war!"
  • GuerrillaGuerrilla747 HelsinkiPosts: 2,833Administrator
    Welcome to SFM. I bumped you up to a regular member, so you can edit your profile now. :)
    Comco: i entered it manually in the back end
    Join our fancy Discord Server!
  • natnat9 Posts: 3Member
    Thanks!

    I tried tweaking the deflector section but it just ended up turning into a lump and the edge loops were pretty wonky so I ended up rebuilding it and made it more angular.

    I also made some of the edges more creased where the hull changes direction, but tried to leave in some of the curves. Rebuilt the dorsal section too, raising it back up and instead cutting it in from the front since this seems a bit more in line with the canon designs.

    I think I have a few edge loops to cleanup, but otherwise I'm feeling pretty happy with the main shapes.

    ff3bzi2nll07.png
    j8q4mk35wruv.png
    ioadamnvd8v5.png
    Lizzy777Ael'sMustang13Camaro68
  • Ael'sAel's82 FrancePosts: 67Member
    Greetings and Welcome to SFM !
    Lizzy777 wrote: »
    Looks like a solid start. To me, the 32nd-century ship designs look pretty open-ended so far and yet still maintain a distinct signature style. I'm keenly interested to see where you take this!
    I second this opinion, it's nice to see someone else do 32nd Century ships.
    AW Fanon Wiki — — — DeviantArt — — — AW Discord (EN)
  • Mustang13Camaro68Mustang13Camaro68165 DetroitPosts: 86Member
    I think the floating deflector pod is exactly in keeping with the 32nd century ships. Great start here!
  • natnat9 Posts: 3Member
    Turns out I wasn't completely happy with the shapes...the primary hull was feeling too flat, the nacelles just didn't have the same feel as the rest of the ship, and the deflector pod wasn't meshing well with the cutout in the front of the primary hull...

    So I reworked the rear of the pod and redid the nacelles completely from scratch - they're now shaped so that the fit well to the primary hull - they didn't state this on discovery explicitly but it appeared that programmable matter formed the physical connections when the detached sections reattached, so that's my idea as well - the nacelles and deflector pod would retract say 90% of the way and then programmable matter would bridge the other 10% of the gap for a physical connection.

    Gave the ventral side some more character including carving out an area for a vertical shuttle bay. I'd toyed with have a forward ventral shuttlebay immediately aft of the deflector pod, but that just didn't sit right and just felt too similar to the bridge window.

    The aft section also got extended and cut in some areas for the impulse engines.

    uosp8t6hbe3n.png
    kh9y88hn3i6n.png
    9pm0cl0tqspd.png
    Ael'sLizzy777Jayru
Sign In or Register to comment.