Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

PracticalUSS Yeager Kitbash (DS9)

• BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1115 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,567Member
    Thank you! Yes, they are a bit difficult, but I’m trying to take my time, and do it right. Like I said, if there’s any paint spill onto other areas that don’t belong, I will use a toothpick to clean up the areas nice and neat.
    I’ve actually tracked down the auction catalog featuring the Yeager filming model, and am gonna buy a copy, for references. I’m actually really curious to know if the model sold... I can’t find anything saying if it did, or for how much. I’d totally buy it, if it’s still up for grabs, and not more than a couple grand.
    edited August 2020 #34
    Small update.

x8rh5zmkrfwq.jpeg
    d2m3s4v4mly9.jpeg

Post edited by BolianAdmiral on
    evil_genius_180Lizzy777Freak
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    It's looking great.
    I’ve actually tracked down the auction catalog featuring the Yeager filming model, and am gonna buy a copy, for references. I’m actually really curious to know if the model sold... I can’t find anything saying if it did, or for how much. I’d totally buy it, if it’s still up for grabs, and not more than a couple grand.

It sold for $8,500.

http://startrekpropcollector.com/trekauctions/item.pl?i=1778-0495
    BolianAdmiral
    Thanks. Wow, it sold for more than I thought it would! Well, hopefully it went to a good home. I’m already planning to do a second Yeager after this one down the line, but immediately following this, I think I’ll take a short break from starships... I have a 727 I need to finish, and a couple cars and planes I want to get done.
    evil_genius_180
    Really, once yours is done you'll have a better version anyway, as yours will be more lovingly painted. I realize it would be cool to have something screen used, but some screen used stuff is way rougher than people would realize from seeing it on screen.

Interesting note: the Yeager is the only kitbash to be offered up at auction. One wonders what happened to some of the others as, between TNG and DS9, there were a fair number of them built.
    BolianAdmiral
    I know the Elkins is owned by her creator, Judy Elkins, and presumably resides in her home. As for the other kitbashes, yeah, I’m not sure. It’d be interesting to know.
    evil_genius_180
    Yeah, it's hard to say. Some of them may have been retained by the people who made them, others may simply have been damaged beyond repair and gotten rid of. Of course, then there's also theft.
    BolianAdmiral
    Well, I decided to go all brush with the Maquis hull. I don’t like brush painting, but that was kind of my reason for going all brush - I want to develop my skills more, so that I can get better at it. As I said before, any unevenness or overflow of paint will be cleaned up later with a toothpick, to even everything out, and make the lines clean.

jz3ihshryulm.jpeg
    evil_genius_180RekkertFreakLizzy777
    Updates for the night.

hwgx3k9vpo24.jpeg
    tv0q2smy5t0k.jpeg
    b0wnh2dsagfk.jpeg
    RekkertFreakevil_genius_180Lizzy777
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    she is looking great!
    BolianAdmiral
    I like the blue on that shuttle thing we never got to see on the show. It makes it pop.
    BolianAdmiral
    I like the blue on that shuttle thing we never got to see on the show. It makes it pop.

Thanks. That’s actually how it is on the original.

hsy91rljz5l1.jpeg
    evil_genius_180RekkertLizzy777Freak
    Well, I figured that since you're painting yours as close to that as possible. ;) I was just saying I like it.
    BolianAdmiral
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    I can't believe I'm about to say this, but the Yeager actually looks good from that angle. :p
    BolianAdmiral
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
    She does tend to grow on you, lol. :)
    Naw, it still looks like a really big Maquis ship ran into the back of Voyager. ;)

Seriously, it is one of the better kitbashes they did for DS9. Though, my favorite is the Centaur.
    BolianAdmiralLizzy777
    Hulls joined.

wd3d5isek3ny.jpeg
    3lagavtryv6b.jpeg
    Lizzy777RekkertFreakevil_genius_180
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,747Member
    She does tend to grow on you, lol. :)
    The pieces do seem to lend themselves together, a modern take on the Planet of the Titans ship.

At this scale, the aft torpedo tubes are huge!
    BolianAdmiral
    Cleaned up the phasers on the top saucer, and did a bit more brown painting on the lower secondary hull.

7o8lx5cjc39v.jpeg
    921mthuga8lt.jpeg
    FreakRekkertevil_genius_180Lizzy777
  • markmasseymarkmassey512 StaffordshirePosts: 586Member
    Love this kit bash, you've done a great job so far... at first look you kind of go errgg what have they done... but the more you look at it.. it looks pretty cool.. the underside looks great..

on a random side note i have noticed that your windows are square blocks.... which i thought was interesting because it looks exactly like the model kit i've just built except for those windows... i wonder when or what made them change them?

gbs9hcj8x06z.jpg

cant wait to see yours with those wings on.. i bet the model is going to be huge!!!
    BolianAdmiralFreak
    Thanks. Yeah, the model is definitely a bit longer than the standard Voyager. Interestingly, both the Yeager and the Elkins have more internal volume than a standard Intrepid-Class, the Elkins having the most. Both of their secondary hulls are actually larger than Voyager’s.
  • lennier1lennier1913 Posts: 1,281Member
    markmassey wrote: »
    on a random side note i have noticed that your windows are square blocks.... which i thought was interesting because it looks exactly like the model kit i've just built except for those windows... i wonder when or what made them change them?
    The one without dividers is an older version of the injection molds, the one with separated windows is a newer revision.

BolianAdmiral
    Nothing beats a really well done real world kitbash. And, that's exactly what this is. Are you planning to leave the windows all black or have some of them painted a lighter color to look lit? It looks great either way. I did an Enterprise-C back in the '90s and I painted all of the windows black (with a toothpick, it took a long time) and I think it's a really nice look.
    BolianAdmiralpubliusr
    Thank you. 😁 I think with this one, I’ll leave them black. The next Yeager is going to be more accurate, better detailed, and will have some windows painted to represent lit windows. As I may have stated before, the brown color I’ve used for the Maquis hull is darker than the color it should be. At the time, I merely thought Testors had simply changed the name of the color. I ha e since bought the correct color, which I’ll use on the next Yeager, because I don’t want to go back and redo all that I’ve done so far on this one. I’m going to try and clean stuff up as much as I can with toothpicks, to clean and straighten up brush-painted edges, then I’ll slap the wings on her.
    evil_genius_180
    There will be another!

While I’m not completely finished with the current Yeager build, I’ll say that I’ve learned a lot from it. The next one I build will actually be done as a step-by-step tutorial, so that anyone else who wants to build one, can know what to do. Now that I have all the correct paint colors, I’m going to create a paint and color placement chart, list of parts added to the model, as well as parts taken away from the original kits, as well as tips and techniques I’ve learned with this build. I’m also going to create a masking template, for masking the complex forms on the Maquis hull. I think I’ve developed a technique to do that that just might work. We’ll see. I also plan to have a full set of custom decals made for the next one. I’m thinking she’ll be the U.S.S. ANZIO.

0x97vo7i2n2u.jpeg
    Lizzy777evil_genius_180
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,747Member
    Any ideas of what to do with the unused Voyager secondary hull?
  • lennier1lennier1913 Posts: 1,281Member
    publiusr wrote: »
    Any ideas of what to do with the unused Voyager secondary hull?
    I'd turn it upside down and kitbash it into some small research ship.

evil_genius_180
    I know I want to use one of them to kitbash the USS Exodus.

whf25r2e77tr.jpeg
    evil_genius_180
    Well... if I'm gonna go all-in, I'm gonna go all-in...

As I said earlier, the next Yeager model will have a full step-by-step, including a colors/painting guide. So, I figured I may as well draw up 2D plans of the parts, for the colors/painting guide.

Just call me the Yeagermeister. ;)

fqpcap64t1le.jpg
    RekkertLizzy777evil_genius_180