Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DUSS Quasar Technical Manual

2»

• BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1188 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,629Member
    Agreed. She looks beautiful! Looking forward to the final bits!
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1920 CaliforniaPosts: 2,074Member
    Super Model. Top notch job!
  • ashleytingerashleytinger2069 Central OhioPosts: 1,264Member
    Rekkert wrote: »
    @evil_genius_180: Thanks! :)

@ashleytinger: Thanks! Yeah, it does fit a bit better both with the existing Type 15 and with the Galaxy-class as a whole, but I do like the Type 6 anyway.

Here's the third version of the nacelles. While still not finished they're pretty much done. There are Warp coils inside the nacelle, and a half glass, hlaf metallic material on the 'warp grill'.

wip_14_by_rekkert-dbr52jl.pngwip_15_by_rekkert-dbr52jt.png

Very nice!

Oh don't get me wrong, I thought the Type 6 was a brilliant re-use of the full size shuttlecraft, just makes me sad they cut up the really elegant one to make the 'stubby' version.
  • RekkertRekkert4260 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,326Member
    @Starscream: Thanks!

@BolianAdmiral: Indeed, almost done! :)

@Brandenberg: Thank you very much!

@ashleytinger: Yeah, that's true. I guess it was just too long for the Enterprise-D shuttlebay set.

More details everywhere! :D

wip_16_by_rekkert-dbrsmli.pngwip_17_by_rekkert-dbrsmlu.pngwip_18_by_rekkert-dbrsmm6.png
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
    Very nice! Everything's coming together really well! :D
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804571 Posts: 11,177Member
    It's looking awesome, Rekkert. :thumb:
    Thanks Chris! :)

Well, with the approval of BolianAdmiral, I can now say that the shuttlecraft is finished! Several details were added, and some elements of the design were further tweaked.

tadeo-d-oria-c1.jpg?1509231369tadeo-d-oria-c2.jpg?1509231353tadeo-d-oria-c3.jpg?1509231354
  • BlueNeumannBlueNeumann695 Posts: 1,338Member
    I like that shuttlebay too. Clean and bright and nice grouting on the panel walls.
    Agreed, she looks beautiful! Thanks, again, Rekkert, for creating her for me! I LOVE the shuttlebay set details, as well... the tractor beam emitter, the doors... everything looks great!

For those of you wondering about the goldenrod-colored tips on the end of the nacelles, Rekkert and I had some outside input from the man himself, Rick Sternbach, during the creation process, since this is directly based off of his concept drawings. According to Rick, he intended those details to be the shuttle's impulse exhaust vents, in the same style as how the smaller Type-15 had its impulse exhaust vents on the end of its nacelles. We figured we may as well use the idea here, since the rear hatch takes up all the rear hull space. So, that's what those details are. It was my idea to make those small squares on the aft sides the red and green port/starboard navigational markers, since they're on the larger Type-7, and since I felt a bit of color would break up all the white on the hull. Rick was okay with it when he saw it.
    Great looking shuttle, dudes. Awesome modeling, Rekkert. Just one question, though. Where are the RCS thrusters?
    Where are the RCS thrusters?

hqdefault.jpg

Well, to be fair, we never saw any obvious ones on the Type-15 or the Type-7...
    The Type 15 has a greeblie bit on its rear section that looks like an RCS thruster. It probably is, but there should be more. As for the Type 7, ugh. Don't get me started on that thing.
    The Type 15 has a greeblie bit on its rear section that looks like an RCS thruster. It probably is, but there should be more. As for the Type 7, ugh. Don't get me started on that thing.

That greebled bit is what I made the navigational markers on mine. I don't think a shuttle would ONLY have RCS thrusters on the aft section... that would be kinda awkward for maneuvering, IMO.
    Thanks BlueNeumann!

Regarding the RCS thrusters, indeed given that the Type-15 was the main inspiration for this shuttle when it comes to details style, it make sense it doesn't have them as well. Given the unorthodox impulse engines both these shuttles have, they might use a different type of propulsion altogether for maneuvering.

Not to mention that not a single one of Rick's concept drawings had RCS thrusters, and they're pretty detailed, so I believe he specifically left them out.
    The original concept drawings of the Type-15 had some RCS thrusters, but they were only on the aft portion, as stated, and they never made it to the final full-size mock-up of the shuttle.

latest?cb=20100429171718&path-prefix=en

EDIT: I asked Rick Sternbach about the RCS units. If he suggests putting them on, I'll add them to the 2D blueprints I'll be doing of the shuttle, but I don't want to bother Rekkert with any more modifications.
    I'm personally not a fan of the "this and this don't have it, so we should leave it out" type of thinking. But, it's your project and the shuttle looks great either way.

RCS thrusters are one of those "sometimes we have it, sometimes we don't" things in Star Trek. Aside from shuttles, there are even a few starship designs that don't have obvious thrusters. The Defiant and Oberth classes are a couple of the more conspicuous ones. Nothing that can easily be identified as an RCS thruster is on those ships. :rolleyes:
    I mentioned it to Rick, and he replied. He said to look at the Delta Flyer for inspiration of how they might look/placement, and go with what feels best for this shuttle from that starting point. I don't think there's any good way to include them on the top or top side portions of the shuttle hull, so what I might end up doing, is putting them on the bottom half of the shuttle's hull... I'll play with some doodles, and see what happens.
  • NevetsNevets201 EarthPosts: 134Member
    VERY nice. It could do without the phasers though.
    @Nevets: Thanks! Yeah indeed, this shuttle is very well armed! I wonder why Rick decided to add so many phasers onto it.

I've been talking with BolianAdmiral about the RCS thrusters and he came up with a good placement for them, which I then added into the mesh:

tadeo-d-oria-c1.jpg?1510165246tadeo-d-oria-c2.jpg?1510165213tadeo-d-oria-c3.jpg?1510165215
    They look great and fit well with the flow of the design. :)
    Started with another commission for BolianAdmiral that was a long time coming: the creation of these three similar props from the Enterprise-D sickbay:
    future-imperfect-hd-051.jpg
    man-of-the-people-hd-322.jpg

The idea here is to create 3D models that are as accurate as possible so that he can later recreate the props in real life using these as reference. Here's my progress so far on the first one:
    c1_01_by_rekkert-dc6i374.png
    very nice start! The reflective surfaces look great... I was wondering how you were going to tackle the version with the mirror on it. :)
    Glad you're liking it! Here's the first version finished. The mirror makes this the most unique, even if it was only done for the cheap reveal of old Riker in Future Imperfect. :lol:

c1_02_by_rekkert-dc6l0uq.png
    Yeah, but it could also be functional, I guess... it might allow nurses or doctors to see the state of a patient at a glance from across the room, or something... IDK, lol. Fantastic job on the "Future Imperfect" version!
    I've finished recreating the three versions that are fully seen. There are two other versions from "Man of the People" that aren't seen very clearly, so I'll be recreating those with my own patterns on the unseen parts.

c1_03_by_rekkert-dc753xy.png
    I've finished with the other versions. I did a special one with some LCARS to be sort of a hanging life signs monitor for the main biobed, something a bit different. :)

c1_06_by_rekkert-dc7cpgb.png
  • StarscreamStarscream231 Posts: 1,049Member
    Neat! I could definitely see these on Rusty 's sickbay :)
    They're going in the Quasar's first, lol. :p

I always knew I wanted these to be part of the Quasar's Sickbay set, but I'm still working out the concept for the overall Sickbay set itself. It will of course, share the same floor plan as the 1701-D's, as both saucer sections are basically identical, but there will be a few differences major enough to set it apart from any Galaxy-Class Sickbay we've seen (or Galaxy-Class Sickbay redress). I'm not planning on using either the TNG or VOY biobeds, and there will be some very noticeable differences along that far wall section where the beds are lined up - that whole area will look quite different. What I have in mind will basically incorporate elements from "Future Imperfect", the Defiant Sickbay from DS9, and a few touches from the 1st season TNG Sickbay, mixed with my own custom design concepts.
  • StarscreamStarscream231 Posts: 1,049Member
    Sounds intriguing!