Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DStar Trek Interiors

• BlueNeumannBlueNeumann615 Posts: 1,275Member
    That last picture has me imagining Worf crouching down to look at his little screen. Or you could have a Keenser-like alien working that console, that would be interesting. The toughest little guy in the universe. Like Nepol from Galidor (there's a reference no one's gonna get).
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1114 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,560Member
    Yeah, I would switch the locations so the screen is where the panel detail is, and the panel detail to where the screen is. Everything still looks awesome, though! But yeah, I'd have the screen so that it faces the actor more directly.
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    It's a pretty weird screen. The height is not the problem, as it's at the same level than the usual tactical controls; the problem is the angle of that screen. We only get to see it in one shot, and it looks... weird...

agt_01_by_rekkert-dbdo7o9.png

@BolianAdmiral: Do you want me to do that?

I've done the small cover behind the chairs seen in 'Parallels' and 'All Good Things', and added the red labels and other details.

c5_11_by_rekkert-dbdo8il.png
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
    Rekkert wrote: »
    It's a pretty weird screen. The height is not the problem, as it's at the same level than the usual tactical controls; the problem is the angle of that screen. We only get to see it in one shot, and it looks... weird...

agt_01_by_rekkert-dbdo7o9.png

@BolianAdmiral: Do you want me to do that?

I've done the small cover behind the chairs seen in 'Parallels' and 'All Good Things', and added the red labels and other details.

c5_11_by_rekkert-dbdo8il.png

Great job on the new features! Regarding the tactical box... no, you don't have to change it... keep it the way you originally have it, since that's how it is on the show. :)
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Looking great, Rekkert.

I guess that's where having a chair would come in handy. ;)
    @BolianAdmiral: Oh alright, it's staying that way then. :)

@evil_genius_180: Thanks! I hadn't thought of that, but you're right :lol:

First pass at the carpet colors. I still have to UV map it and add the texture pattern, but I wanted to get the color in first.

c1_07_by_rekkert-dbdse4o.png
    NICE!!! It's really staring to come together now!
  • I14R10I14R1070 Posts: 140Member
    Rekkert, really great modelling. You have a good sense for lighting.
  • StarscreamStarscream231 Posts: 1,049Member
    @BolianAdmiral: Oh alright, it's staying that way then. :)

@evil_genius_180: Thanks! I hadn't thought of that, but you're right :lol:

First pass at the carpet colors. I still have to UV map it and add the texture pattern, but I wanted to get the color in first.

c1_07_by_rekkert-dbdse4o.png

Niiice! :thumb: Are you going to be making the panels underneath the horseshoe rail frosted/backlit like on the show or are you keeping the beige in line with the walls etc?
    Starscream wrote: »
    Niiice! :thumb: Are you going to be making the panels underneath the horseshoe rail frosted/backlit like on the show or are you keeping the beige in line with the walls etc?

The panels are going to match the beige of the walls, just like with the tactical box and other add-on details. My goal was to convey the idea that all the equipment on this bridge is "factory stock", and original equipment, not stuff that was added on at a later date, so all the elements follow the same decor.
    Neat :)
    @BolianAdmiral: Indeed it's coming together, piece by piece :)

@I14R10: Thank you! :)

@Starscream: Thanks!

I've worked on the front end on the bridge today. Also, I've started with the Conn/Ops chairs, but I still have work to do there.

c5_13_by_rekkert-dbdxmli.png
  • BlueNeumannBlueNeumann615 Posts: 1,275Member
    I reallly like the sleek look of those seats at the moment, got me thinking of those super-slim apple mouses that are currently on the market.
    Very nice update!
    Looking sleek, yet again! Those new conn/ops consoles are looking great from that angle :thumb:

Just some minor crits in that the seat padding looks a little flat vs the real thing, and that IMO the consoles are placed a bit close together (in comparison to the show, and also because it means if anyone wants to stalk up to the viewscreen ala Captain Sulu then they need to be built like a rake! :D )
    IMO the consoles are placed a bit close together (in comparison to the show, and also because it means if anyone wants to stalk up to the viewscreen ala Captain Sulu then they need to be built like a rake! :D )

Actually, that was completely intentional on my part. I wanted the CONN and OPS stations to have that orientation for a very specific reason...

If you recall, on TNG, when the officers manning the stations would have to get up and leave, they would push the console forward and away, and that means that when they got up, say, in an evacuation scenario, they would pretty much almost be bumping into one another, as they get out of their seats. THIS way, with the direction of the stations reversed, they can push the console away, and have a completely clear and unfettered path to the turbolift on their respective side of the bridge.

galor-bridge-parallels.jpg
    Actually I just meant their proximity to each other, rather than their orientation - I entirely agree about that part :lol:
    @Starscream: Thanks! The proximity is similar to the one between the Enterprise-B or Enterprise-C consoles. Given all the space on the front of the bridge, I guess the captain could just go around them. :lol:

I've done the support structure for the chair, as well as some more details on the consoles themselves. The big red labels are like those in 'Future Imperfect'. For now they're just bigger copies of the small labels, but once I start with the textures I'll replace the text displayed with something more accurate to the episode version.

I've also modified the isolinear racks on the side, to make them more prominent and less rounded.

c5_14_by_rekkert-dbe1aw3.png

c5_15_by_rekkert-dbe13kx.png
    Nice! Love the chairs and the supports!
    Great looking consoles and chairs. :)
    Thanks! :D

Well, I wasn't completely happy with the chairs, so I decided to keep working on them.

As Starscream said, the padding looked a bit too flat and uniform rather than looking like a leathery fabric. So I've experimented with Blender's sculpting tools a bit to add some irregularities and make them puffier. It's a small difference but I think it looks better this way. You can compare for yourself with the last update as it's the exact same shot with only the chairs being different.

c5_14a_by_rekkert-dbe54d1.png
    Given all the space on the front of the bridge, I guess the captain could just go around them. :lol:

You'd think with a ship that big you wouldn't feel the need to punish the Captain by making them walk any further :lol:

(On a related note, this got me thinking how much it seemed to undermine the impact Janeway made whenever she had to navigate her way around the various elements of the "Voyager Bridge Obstacle Course" just to speak to someone on the viewscreen. Does anyone else get that impression? I don't remember noticing it with Kirk at any point - I suspect because there was just the one big helm console...)

Nice chair bases by the way, Rekkert! :thumb: ETA: just seen the updated seat padding- looks just about perfect IMO.
    I've also modified the isolinear racks on the side, to make them more prominent and less rounded.

They're definitely improved! :) I can't remember if this was asked previously, but are the middle panels going to hold the plaque and ship schematics like on TNG?

Your mention of the Future Imperfect labels got me thinking: Since so many of the elements here are taken from variants and "alternate reality" Enterprise bridges, do you or BolianAdmiral have any variants in mind for your take on the Nebula bridge?
    They're definitely improved! :) I can't remember if this was asked previously, but are the middle panels going to hold the plaque and ship schematics like on TNG?

Your mention of the Future Imperfect labels got me thinking: Since so many of the elements here are taken from variants and "alternate reality" Enterprise bridges, do you or BolianAdmiral have any variants in mind for your take on the Nebula bridge?

Regarding the middle panels of the isolinear racks - THAT is something I am really struggling with at the moment, lol. I am afraid that if I DO put the plaque and yellow ship images there, that they will be too small-looking. I have been considering just leaving them black, and having them flash red during red alert, but again, IDK. I'm open to alternate ideas.

Regarding variants - yeah... I have one idea for a wartime refit, which would add a couple consoles and elements to the bridge, since in the story, the ship undergoes a somewhat extensive refit to better equip it, following the Battle of Idran.
    Regarding the middle panels of the isolinear racks - THAT is something I am really struggling with at the moment, lol. I am afraid that if I DO put the plaque and yellow ship images there, that they will be too small-looking. I have been considering just leaving them black, and having them flash red during red alert, but again, IDK. I'm open to alternate ideas.

What about the animated displays that were on the Sutherland? I think they were on the middle panels... Of course, then you need to put your plaque etc somewhere else! :D
    Regarding variants - yeah... I have one idea for a wartime refit, which would add a couple consoles and elements to the bridge, since in the story, the ship undergoes a somewhat extensive refit to better equip it, following the Battle of Idran.

Intriguing! Would those be like the extra side consoles from Yesterday's Enterprise, or elsewhere?

I remember John Eaves did a concept for Generations that included two aft standalone consoles to either side of tactical, set upon angled support struts that swept up from the deck near to that central support column - shame they never followed that plan (but maybe too cluttered? :confused:).
    What about the animated displays that were on the Sutherland? I think they were on the middle panels... Of course, then you need to put your plaque etc somewhere else! :D

Intriguing! Would those be like the extra side consoles from Yesterday's Enterprise, or elsewhere?

I remember John Eaves did a concept for Generations that included two aft standalone consoles to either side of tactical, set upon angled support struts that swept up from the deck near to that central support column - shame they never followed that plan (but maybe too cluttered? :confused:).

Regarding the extra consoles - yes to both... I'm playing with both concepts, thinking about which looks more balanced.

Regarding the animated displays on the isolinear rack - aye, that's what I'm leaning towards at this point., but I have a couple other ideas running around in my head, too.
    (On a related note, this got me thinking how much it seemed to undermine the impact Janeway made whenever she had to navigate her way around the various elements of the "Voyager Bridge Obstacle Course" just to speak to someone on the viewscreen. Does anyone else get that impression? I don't remember noticing it with Kirk at any point - I suspect because there was just the one big helm console...)

Yeah, that bridge shows everything wrong with Voyager's interior design. No soul, no design language expressed, no theme or cohesion. Everything was made brand new but taking ideas from so many different places that in the end nothing looks like it fits. Not to mention the fact that it's bigger than the Enterprise-E bridge despite being a ship less than half the size. Just seeing it during 'emergency' situations on the show where speed is of the essence and people have to navigate a maze to get from one point shows how bad of a design it really is.
    I am afraid that if I DO put the plaque and yellow ship images there, that they will be too small-looking.

At the current size of the racks, they would look pretty much like they do on my previous USS Galatea bridge, so you can look at that bridge to see how big they would be when compared to everything else. Of course once I get to the texturing part of the design, I can make some fast mock ups of all variants so that you can pick the one you think look best.

Yeah, I got a feeling that those two consoles beside tactical AND the new side consoles where the circuitry access panels used to be were just too many consoles and that area would've looked too cluttered.
    Yeah, that bridge shows everything wrong with Voyager's interior design. No soul, no design language expressed, no theme or cohesion. Everything was made brand new but taking ideas from so many different places that in the end nothing looks like it fits. Not to mention the fact that it's bigger than the Enterprise-E bridge despite being a ship less than half the size. Just seeing it during 'emergency' situations on the show where speed is of the essence and people have to navigate a maze to get from one point shows how bad of a design it really is.

I liked the Voyager color scheme at least; it was just those weird klugey-looking bits of metal and needless holes all over the place that did it in (and good lord, those "safety" rails looked like they were designed to slice through people!)

As far as size is concerned, I agree - the Helm, Tactical and Ops consoles were all unnecessarily huge, for example (plus, what happened to Environmental, Damage Control, Propulsion Systems, etc?). The bridge could also stand to lose some of its needless width.

On the other hand, the Enterprise-E bridge looks ridiculously cramped, oppressive, and full of eyesores and trip hazards. :lol: I'll stop there though before I trail off into another rant about its numerous flaws...
    At the current size of the racks, they would look pretty much like they do on my previous USS Galatea bridge, so you can look at that bridge to see how big they would be when compared to everything else. Of course once I get to the texturing part of the design, I can make some fast mock ups of all variants so that you can pick the one you think look best.

Did I mention how much your pre-TNG era LCARS make me salivate? The helm/nav consoles are gorgeous...
    Yeah, I got a feeling that those two consoles beside tactical AND the new side consoles where the circuitry access panels used to be were just too many consoles and that area would've looked too cluttered.

Could it be any worse than the Ent-E, though? Hahahaha
    On the other hand, the Enterprise-E bridge looks ridiculously cramped, oppressive, and full of eyesores and trip hazards. :lol: I'll stop there though before I trail off into another rant about its numerous flaws...

Oh not again... You and me both could write whole walls of text with all that's wrong there, but let's avoid it for now. :lol:
    Did I mention how much your pre-TNG era LCARS make me salivate?

Not... using those exact words... :lol:

I've started work on the aft consoles, as well as the vertical panels on each side.

c5_16_by_rekkert-dbe92qg.png
    Looks great so far! :D
    Looks great so far! :D

Agreed.