Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DStandard Civilian Frame

BorgManBorgMan209 DutchlandPosts: 581Member
edited April 2016 in Work in Progress #1
Not long after the launch of the originial USS Enterprise, the Utopia Planitia yards started with theorising about a frame specifically meant for civilian use. They got the specifications of the Constitution class and used it as a template; afterall, not having to design everything from the ground up would keep the costs of the frame low. They minimalised the engineering section to contain the bare minimum for starship operation, and removed 80% of the normal structures inside the ship to make place for easily swappable modules. A single nacelle, reused where possible from older or scrapped spaceframes, was placed on top of the aft portion of the saucer. Starfleet was looking over their shoulder, curious if a one-nacelled ship could meet their criteria.

Initially, the great firms that were still alive in the 23rd century didn't see anything in the frame, opting other shipbuilders instead to make them personalised ships. These came at a hefty price, though, and orders for the Standard Civilian Frame (noted as SCF-xxxxx in the registry) only started to come in when a certain postal service saw the benefits of this design, placed an order and used the first of the SCF frames to get an ambassador his long-awaited Romulan Ale, for which they were awarded with a contract to make sure the core worlds of the Federation got their packages as fast as possible. During testruns the ship barely made it to Warp 7; UPS deemed that fast enough and after the request for the addition of four phaser banks was approved, the ship was pressed into service in 2260.

The Mark 1 SCF saw a good run before being replaced by the Mark 2 in 2290, which provided a higher top speed and a higher cargo capacity. Moving the engineering hull to the aft of the topside also meant that this design would be able to make planetfall and re-enter orbit if the situation required it.

KkRwaa4l.jpg
110346.jpg
Post edited by BorgMan on
Tagged:

• TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    I like it, and the backstory.

:thumb:
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    nice one.
  • kvorshkkvorshk171 Posts: 76Member
    Amazing work Borg. But, since you have all that back story. How big is she. Is the saucer the same as the Constitution? It's hard to tell.Ffor me at least.
  • bbeltbbelt0 Posts: 0Member
    Interesting concept and not completely out of scope to the Star Trek Universe. I remember some episodes where there was evidence of older space frames being used for non-federation use. Model looks good; especially from underneath. You are breaking a few of the star ship rules but even the show can't always get them right so there you go.

Does this have any kind of saucer separation capabilities? Those triangles on the bottom of the saucer are actually landing gears for emergency landing of the saucer section. If the ship does not have the ability to do a saucer separation; or at least the ability to jettison the engineering hull, I don't see why they would build those in since they are stripping the frame down for cost and space reasons.
  • BorgManBorgMan209 DutchlandPosts: 581Member
    Well, the saucer rim is about 6 meters high and contains two of the five decks, with a circumference of about 130 meters... yeah, that makes it practically as big as a Constitution saucer.

(don't mind the artifacts...)

TIL the triangles are landing pads... No, it doesn't have landing capability; the components are just bolted onto the saucer, without a possiblity of seperating from the main hull. Saves on costs eh...
    110460.jpg110461.jpg
  • kvorshkkvorshk171 Posts: 76Member
    Ok awesome. I had always wondered why we didnt see more civilian ships in Trek. Seems to me they would have been more common that Starfleet ships.
    Here's a close up of the new shuttle bay. I figured since that this ship offloads lots of stuff, it would need two things: a load of transporters for easy beaming, and a big shuttlebay with a lot of shuttles for when you can't beam things down. This ship delivers packages, and it delivers them fast. And ain't no transporter gonna mess up with that!
    110505.jpg110506.jpg
    One takes a random awesome image of a planet with cool stuff in the background. One pastes the model in. One decides to build a K-type station from scratch because the available alternatives from the 3DWarehouse suck. One adds a few lightsources... Presto! :)
    110524.jpg