Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DSpace Ark "Mankind" (Seneca Class Ark)

SvenLittkowskiSvenLittkowski176 Posts: 20Member
edited February 2016 in Work in Progress #1
Space Ark "Mankind"
Seneca Class Ark

This work is still in progress, and will be for some time to come, as I am intending to make it highly complex. The ship will have a sophisticated and fully detailed outside, and also several modeled areas inside. I use the POV-Ray raytracer, as it works with a scene description language that exceeds other renderers with its functionality and special functions.

No WYSIWYG editor was used, all numeric coordinates are hand-typed out of my mind.

I did not yet start the huge side hangars and ship construction facilities. The middle hull and the central hull are 70% complete at this moment.

Any hint about free render farms is welcome, as I also want to create a number of animations with this ship once it is finish.

About the SENECA class of space arks

Those ships are fully automated and computer-controlled industrial platforms with living freight. The flight is fully automated, and on arrival in the target system, the ship's intelligence scans the system directly and through a large number of high-speed drones, deploys a fleet of mining craft and construction vehicles, and builds infrastructure before the first settlers are woken up from their artificial deep sleep.

The ship's intelligence can react on almost any situation, can command the automated construction of standard ships or specialized ships, and serves as large-scale space-based factory. It has its own ports for the delivery of asteroid and planetary ore.

While the huge side hangars (not yet visible) accommodate large-scale craft and building facilities, the midship hull contains altogether twenty small-craft launch bays and four hangars for mid-scale space craft.

the skin of the entire ship hull is artificially organic, it can regrow and seal after damage, has integrated sensors of all types, has color pigments that can produce different paint patterns or images or even moving images better than an octopus, and can even emit light if so required. This all serves identification and communication. Also, the skin can process sun light and produces oxygen that is pumped into the ship. In fact, each ship wall inside produces light and oxygen from carbon dioxide and other side products of life as most materials of the ship interior are organic or half-organic, too.

The SENECA class of space arks were built just before invention of the tachyon and wormhole drives. Thus their large size, as they were meant to fly for long times. Sent out already, the ship computers received the construction details for these two newly developed drives during flight, and consequently their intelligent ship computers made the decision to stop at a nearby system, harvesting all materials needed to construct these drives, and mounted them before continuing their voyage. Now they reached their targets within weeks instead of decades. All later colonizing ships wee much smaller. These were the last really big ships built by humans.

Tachyon and wormhole drives are mounted to the front of a ship, and are combined inside a large round construction.
110034.jpg
110035.jpg
110036.jpg
110037.jpg
110038.jpg
Post edited by SvenLittkowski on
Tagged:

• SvenLittkowskiSvenLittkowski176 Posts: 20Member
    Here the first version, dating back to 2006.
    The new version is much more complex and detailed.
    110039.jpg
  • rojrenrojren2304 Louisville, Kentucky USAPosts: 1,971Member
    Looks big, and interesting, and a bit confusing. Could you maybe make a simple diagram showing what we're looking at?
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Looking good so far. I like the design and it looks well modeled. The back story and technical bits are interesting too.

Re: Free render farms? I've never heard of a free render farm, as equipment of that nature can be quite pricey. I'd imagine budget is an issue for you, but you can build your own render farm with a few off the shelf computers, an Ethernet switch or old router configured to work as one, some lengths of cat5 cable and some custom configuration. Instructions on setting it up can be found with a simple web search. Though, if you don't have everything, the computers alone will cost you a few hundred dollars, depending on which ones and how many you buy. Anything with a decent processor and RAM will do, as graphics processors aren't that big a deal for rendering only machines. It's still a lot cheaper than buying an actual render farm.

Another option is finding somewhere that will render your scenes for a fee. There are companies that do this.
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    I believe he's talking about cloud based rendering farm solutions, I'd have still thought there'd be a fee rather than them being free, though nowhere near as expensive as developing your own render farm.

This sorta thing?

http://rendernow.clickforward.com/?_vsrefdom=p.15013
    Thanks for all replies, and I admit, here is a great spirit in this forum!

Render farms: will have to check out more.

Looking at: imagine a middle hull in the shape of a vertical cylinder (disc). And left and right from it (not yet visible) are two long, cylindrical hangars connected to the hull in the middle by a hull piece that goes from left to right (visible already). To get a better idea, simply look at the blueish illuminated ship of my 2nd posting right below my first posting - it shows you the ship (previous version) in full, just cut off by the edge of the image dimension. There you see the ship from a position in front of it.

Yeah, this must be a totally unknown design for all of you - I never copy designs of others, I develop my own designs. Makes things much, much more interesting to look at! :-)
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    TALON_UK wrote: »
    I believe he's talking about cloud based rendering farm solutions

Hm, I didn't even know those existed.
    Here a new update on the progress on the space ark. I am working now on the central hull that connects the (not yet visible) two large side hangars with the rest of the ship. This render is a basic render to speed it up a little bit. But while I am typing this, a full-quality render is on its way. But due to the lower speed of my computer system, this partial render that is on its way might take one or two days. Yes, computer power is my limit these days. A full render of the ship took me six days the last time, and will take more time the more details I am adding.

I added the four mid-size hangars to the central hull. Two of them are larger (90x200 meters), and the other two are smaller (70x150 meters).

By the way, each of the twenty catapult launch tubes has a width of 36 meters and a height of 19 meters, and a catapult length of 200 meters. Behind it is the storage area, and behind that area is, towards the back of the central hull, the fly-in deck. The catapult launchers are made to launch small and very small craft: probes, drones, reconnaissance craft, repair craft, and such. You might be surprised to hear, that in civilized space, no weapons are anymore required. But maybe I am adding, just for the (stupid) effect, some asteroid defense guns to the ship.

I am not sure yet about the upcoming designs for the various large, medium, and small crafts this ship can launch. If you think you got some interesting design proposals, post them here. If it is a mesh type that POV-Ray (my renderer) can understand, then you might see your craft coming out from one of these launchers, or standing inside one of the medium-sized hangars! :-)
    110124.jpg
  • NevetsNevets201 EarthPosts: 134Member
    Nice design.
  • psCargilepsCargile417 Posts: 620Member
    Looks great. Nice to see science fiction moving forward. Some time ago I used to model in Rhino, and import into Moray to use the POV-Ray renderer. Always loved the results. The Moray/POV-Ray combo had a great range of materials, far more than Blender. Never been able to get Blender to talk nice to POV-Ray. Man do I miss it.
  • sawsaw0 Posts: 0Member
    Regarding renderfarms: I use pixel plow. The pricing is really, really good and it makes things possible you wouldn't believe. I can render a 20 second, 1080p animation for about $5-$10 with frames that take 30min+ on my computer. It's awesome, but addictive and the money can add up.