Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DFirst Strike (Star Wars mod for BF2142) Battle of Hoth WIP

13»

• WizWiz28 Posts: 0Member
    That looks great mate, you have captured the lighting and colours very well as well :) (also Empire, def the best :))
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Cheers Binkerman, am looking forward to getting Battle of Hoth out there, has been a long time coming and a bit of a labour of love for The Empire Strikes Back.

Very nice Carbon Freezing Chamber Binkerman, that is one of the settings we haven't explored for a map in First Strike, would love to do a Bespin: Cloud City map, even perhaps two, one set on the surface and one set in the bowels of the city. Will have to see how Hoth goes and whether we want to do more after that.

And yes, Empire most certainly is the best.

:)
    Found a little time to do a bit more work on this. Panels completed now, just need to texture the 3d gadgets I've added to the consoles such as the comlink cylinders and this will be good to go. Can already see players heading to this asset and going...

"We had a bit of a blaster malfunction in here, but we're all okay in here now, how are you?"

:lol:

ImpSecStation_WIP_04.jpg

ImpSecStation_WIP_05.jpg

ImpSecStation_WIP_06.jpg
  • DarkSapiensDarkSapiens174 Posts: 0Member
    "Ahhh… Negative, negative! We have a, uh… reactor leak here… ah… now… Give us a few minutes to lock it down… Uh… largely, very dangerous."

And now I wonder, can you use your blaster to make it stop working in the game? :D

Great work, man :thumb:
    Great attention to detail mate, looking good! :) (watch moonraker ((I may have mentioned that already?)) for more of this sort of set decoration... they definitely plundered the Deahstar for the space station ;)).
    Cheers guys. If it's worth doing it's worth doing right. I was placing a generic desk in the entrance halls to these Detention Blocks, and it was serviceable enough, but just wasn't right and needed that little something extra.

Heh, making the comlink cylinders destructible? Well it sure is possible, BF Vietnam had little radios that played music which you could destroy that added a little to the atmosphere of the game, but it would be a lot of effort for a minor detail that doesn't add much. Would be nice, but perhaps later when we have more time.

"Boring conversation anyway..."

:D
    Well, since in the film all you can see is a puff of smoke, I was thinking along the lines of making the texture stop being "lit", for example :)
    Ahh, I thought you were thinking more along the lines of having some coms chatter coming over the comlink which gets deactivated if you blew up the comlink device, like a little Easter egg sort of thing.
    Yeah, could be both, if time allows it :P
    Just a quick little update today, texturing on the Imperial Security Duty Station is pretty much done now, have also created a texture for one of those wall mounted Laser Projectors, so I'll get that asset mapped which should just take a few minutes, and then set to work on the ceiling mounted Security Camera Banks, then after adding a little normal mapping I'll be done with this lot and it'll be time to get back to the BF2 Editor (oh joy :rolleyes:).

ImpSecStation_WIP_07.jpg

ImpSecStation_WIP_08.jpg

ImpSecStation_WIP_09.jpg

In other First Strike related news, the reason it is taking me so long to complete this asset might have something to do with a little distraction, that being the fact that at last First Strike 1.6 has been released!

Whoop! Whoop!!

:argh:

So if you want in on a little awesome Star Wars flavoured gaming action check it out here:

http://www.fsmod.com/newsfull-022014-2.htm

Here are links to a number of articles and screenshots regarding the mod so you can see what you're in for:

http://www.moddb.com/mods/first-strike

And all you need to do is get a hold of a copy of BF2142 from a bargain bucket or from on-line sources such as Origin or Steam, then download our mod, and you'll be well on your way to some of the most epic Star Wars battles this side of the Outer Rim.

You know you want to.

:cool:
    Not updated this in a while, all sorts of things going on I guess. First Strike 1.6 coming out, EA and Gamespy withdrawing their support for the older Battlefield games (which was a real blow for the modding community, well for those working on Battlefield game based mods at least), yes it has certainly been an eventful couple of months.

First up a few shots of the above asset finally in game and looking quite sexy. Is certainly exciting battling along such locations as an Imperial Detention Block, and the Prison Complex on a whole has proved quite fun to scrap over.

sshot1_lrg_Dath_01.jpg

sshot1_lrg_Dath_02.jpg

sshot1_lrg_Dath_03.jpg

sshot1_lrg_Dath_04.jpg

And finally we get to take a trip back to the subject of this thread, Hoth in style.

http://www.fsmod.com/newsfull-072014-4.htm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTEc_6oSSjo

sshot1_lrg_HEB_WIP_01.jpg

sshot1_lrg_HEB_WIP_02.jpg

sshot1_lrg_HEB_WIP_03.jpg

sshot1_lrg_HEB_WIP_04.jpg

sshot1_lrg_HEB_WIP_05.jpg

sshot1_lrg_HEB_WIP_06.jpg

Woah, it's looking great! Good job :thumb:
    Cheers. Getting there slowly but surely.

;)
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804598 Posts: 11,184Member
    EA has pretty much become the bane of the gaming community over the past decade. I don't get what idiotic compulsion compels them to remove support for a popular game series, even if they are older games, but I can't really say I'm surprised.

Having said that, the modeling and textures you're doing for these mods is superb. :thumb:
    Loving seeing the progress on this, very nice work matey :)

One comment, for the Hoth base, the carved ice walls etc. all look a bit low blue light, would you be looking to brighten up these areas with stronger light sources bringing them back to a more white exposure?
    Thanks for the kind words guys. And yeah, you're right Wiz, could use a bit more light variation on the corridors, what I've got in there now is more like the base ambient rather than what it should be, and there should be stronger areas of light like I have in Command Centre. Will have to have a look at that.
    Well unfortunately it looks like our Hoth won't see the light of day on the BF2142 engine (well at least beyond the blocked out version we tested a few years ago). Development of First Strike on BF2142 has now officially come to an end (except for a minor final update we'll put out which will add a little more singleplayer support to additional maps, may also put out our WIP of Hoth, will have to see on that front) due to the recent developments with EA pulling support for the game.

On a more positive note First Strike will now be looking to develop for another engine, and the one that has been chosen in Unreal 4. Now due to this we have made the decision to merge with another development team who are currently in the early stages of putting together a Star Wars themed game project based on Unreal 4 rather than start from scratch ourselves. That team is Star Wars: Battlecry (they were originally developing the game for the CryEngine hence their name, but have now begun development in Unreal 4) and the hope is that through this merger we'll be able to see if it is viable to port First Strike assets over to Unreal, and if it works out this could mean porting our existing maps and assets to the new game, and the work we've done so far on Hoth.

Will keep you informed on how this goes. The Star Wars: Battlecry guys will also need a new name for the game we're developing since they're no longer working on the CryEngine. Dare I suggest First Strike 2?

:p

Anyhow, here are the news posts making the announcement of the merger:

http://www.moddb.com/mods/first-strike/news/first-strike-and-battlecry-merger

http://www.moddb.com/games/star-wars-battlecry/#4803608
    Man, EA can be a real buzz kill, can't they? It's weird how, in about a decade, they went from being a great game company to the scourge of the gaming community.

I'd love to see a community made Star Wars game done on the Unreal 4 engine. Actually, I'd just love to see a community made SW game, period. It's likely to be better than the games being released recently from LucasArts. (LA's best years were in the late '90s and early 2000s, in my opinion) It would also be great to see all of your hard work used somewhere.
    Well LucasArts is no more remember. It is DICE and EA (feel about that what you will) who are dealing with the new Star Wars: Battlefront. Have big hopes for it, but still feel there might be plenty of room for a fan made game, especially as we do things quite different to the original Battlefront games, First Strike was less arcadey and more tactical. Though I hope the new Battlefront veers away somewhat from the original too, and gives us more of a Star Wars game with a classic gritty Battlefield feel to it, which was our aim originally.
    TALON_UK wrote: »
    Well LucasArts is no more remember. It is DICE and EA (feel about that what you will) who are dealing with the new Star Wars: Battlefront. Have big hopes for it, but still feel there might be plenty of room for a fan made game, especially as we do things quite different to the original Battlefront games, First Strike was less arcadey and more tactical. Though I hope the new Battlefront veers away somewhat from the original too, and gives us more of a Star Wars game with a classic gritty Battlefield feel to it, which was our aim originally.

Actually, I don't keep up with gaming news anymore, so I didn't know that Disney had killed LucasArts. Though, I can't say I'm surprised. We were talking about that happening in the chat channel in SWTOR around the time of the sale of all things Star Wars to Disney.

Either way, "official" SW games have sucked lately, in my opinion. I only kind of liked SWTOR. (it was better before it went free to play/pay to play better) I'd play a fan made SW game for sure. I take it that's like a fan film, where you can do it as long as you make no profit, right?
    Yeah, pretty much, plus a few other stipulations, such as not being able to use key specific characters, such as Luke Skywalker, Darth Vader, Han Solo, etc.
    Yeah, that makes sense. Though, in my humble opinion, too much is done with those characters anyway and I love seeing stuff done with original characters.
    Indeed, that's another reason why the deal worked so well for us, we wanted to sort of tell the tale, or at least show the conflict from the viewpoint of the grunts in the trenches and starfighter pilots and capital ship crews of the space fleets, the rank and file rather than the "Heroes" of Star Wars, so it suited us down to the ground.
    TALON_UK wrote: »
    Indeed, well I suppose it was the prototype though, the production version probably wouldn't have been so heavily detailed, though it does make you wonder what it would have been like. I think they made the right decision though. Had lots of fun had with this thing back in the day, and I think it was an ideal starting point for the design of an asset that First Strike really needs.

ApOYz8KCQAATNrX.jpg

In fact that is where most of the fun was had with the design of this thing. How to make this kooky toy design work in a more realistic setting. I just knew there was a cool vehicle in there aching to get out.

sshot1_lrg_ITT_04.jpg

Heh, was hunting for something else and came across this site. Particularly love how they have done a profile on this vehicle and thrown my image at the top as if it is the definitive version of the vehicle, above all other official versions of it, not to mention using my 'ITT' shortened name for it. Can't fault their good taste.

http://starforge.info/galactic-empire-tech/imperial-troop-transport-itt/

:p