Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DSolarian Cruiser

David LindsayDavid Lindsay1 Posts: 0Member
edited July 2015 in Work in Progress #1
This is a model that embarrassingly I started in 2008 and didnt get very far with. Not sure why but I've decided to pick it up again and see if I can make some progress on it. Think I did have a thread going for it back in 2008 but it must've got deleted since then.

This is based on a ship from the game "Imperium Galactica 2", its also pretty old and is from 2000. Always liked the look of this ship and wanted to make a proper version of it.

The blue/grey images are where I was back in 2008. The Brown one is where I am now. Touched up some of the details on the engines and started working on a landing bay.

Also included a shot from the game that I'm using for reference to let you know what it should look like.
108824.jpg
108825.jpg
108826.jpg
108827.jpg
108828.jpg
Post edited by David Lindsay on
Tagged:

• AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    Oh I loved that game.... Played it for years, until the OS didn't support it anymore......

I do hope you work on the other ships once in a while.
  • David LindsayDavid Lindsay1 Posts: 0Member
    Thanks mate, will have to get this one finished first before thinking about any more!

Did some work on the ship tonight. Was thinking that the cut outs of the top look like they'd make good covered flight deck. Did the same on the bottom. Not sure how much detail to put in here. Will probally add a tower in the flight deck, and mark out some lifts. They'd be for a presurised hanger bellow, but don't think I'll model that.
    108832.jpg
    Started detailing up the top section of the tail fin. Not really sure at this point when to stop with the greebles on the fin and when to start with the panneling.
    108848.jpg
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    I've never played the game, but this is looking fantastic so far. I love seeing HD versions of old game designs. It makes you think of what it would look like if they redid the game's visuals. :)
    The bridge has a somewhat Star-Destroyer feel to it. Nice idea, albeit a bit odd on that vessel. xD
    I think it could have a bit more greebles....

@EG: It's a wonderful game. Was my first strategy game, and got me hooked up on strategy in general. A shame that it doesn't work on more modern machines. (i tried emulators, but it doesn't really work.)
  • ArmondikovArmondikov0 Posts: 0Member
    I think I remember Imperium Galactica and the feeling of "damn, I'll never have a computer powerful enough to play this!"

It's looking good, and a really unique choice to try and model.
    Aresius wrote: »
    @EG: It's a wonderful game. Was my first strategy game, and got me hooked up on strategy in general. A shame that it doesn't work on more modern machines. (i tried emulators, but it doesn't really work.)

Oh man, I love strategy games and I'd love to try it. Hopefully, somebody will do a version that works on modern machines and release it on Steam and/or GOG. It's on Google Play, but some people who reviewed it say it's not as good as the PC version.
    Yeah, it looks similar, but the UI is vastly different, so I doubt it's just like the original.

There's an inofficial patch for WinXP, but that's about as far as the game can be made to run with modern systems. And sadly, that patch didn't work for me back then, so I wasn't able to play it after upgrading to XP. Last I played it was on ME or 2k, dunno. Was still epic.
    Few more detials to the top of the tail fin.

Not that happy with the panneling. Think I like the layout, but looks to thick, or maybe its the lines in between that are too wide. Its a pain to correct though. Looks nicer on a wide shot so not sure what to do.

I aggree that the windows made it look like a bridge, which wasnt what I was aiming for so I split them up too.
    108879.jpg108880.jpg108882.jpg
    I'd say try aztecing...
    Aztecs are the panels that you find commonly on Star Trek ship hulls, making them appear as though they were made of many different sheets of metal.

Unless you want to make it look like deflector-grid lines, which are very thin, but blocky (to distribute the shield evenly).
    I think with panels like that the trick is to think in layers. You've got big, bulkier panels on there now. So think about another layer of finer panels and bolts on top of that. Alternatively, slap a generic-panels normal map on there and see how it goes.
    The details are looking great. Armondikov suggested what I was going to on the panels.
    Reworked the panels on the top of the tail. Much happier with it now. You guys were right about the layering. The panels are simplier now but look better. This is the style I'll use for the rest of the ship. Considering this is just one small part I've still got a lot to do! Next up is paneling and minor details on the tail fin.
    108915.jpg
    It looks fantastic so far.
    Yep. They look much more functional like that. What I've seen that looks good when you have panels like that is to cut a small piece out of an edge (boolean if using polygons or just cut into it if using NURBS/subpatching) and fill the gap with a few details. It breaks up the monotony of some of the longer panel edges, but is also quite realistic if you ever look at real life panelling.
    Panels on the tail fin and a splash of colour.

Next up is to redo the panels on the engine pod, finish up some minor greebles on the bottom of the top of the tail fin, and some panels on the tail connectors. While doing that I need to plan out what to do with the next pod along with that cylinder and stuff. Think I'll make it a reactor and more engineering stuff.
    108936.jpg108937.jpg
    Looking great. :)
    Going to keep it up for the whole thing?
    Armondikov wrote: »
    Going to keep it up for the whole thing?

Keep what up, this panneling style? Yeh I think, like the way it looks. Going to have to mix it up with the greebles though.

I've redone the panneling on the engine pod. Added the first of the weapons too. Thinking these are the smaller secondary weapons. Will be larger main weapons somewhere on the primary hull. Will be more of these smaller turrets too.

Next up finish some panels on the tail fin connectors and start on the next pod along.
    108960.jpg108961.jpg
    Absolutely bangin' ... as the cool kids might say.
    The level of detail on this is great. :)
    Anyway, to be more specific, I like the window detail in there - it's something you see elsewhere on the model, which ties the entire look together, but isn't so repetitive that it starts to look like a cheap-and-east repeat greeble. You've got a good mix of details in there that actually make it look right.
    Haven't had much time to work on this over the last few weeks.

Started to block in the reactor. Still a lot more detail to fill in here.

Not really sure where to go with the rest of the ship once I get this finished though. Think thats slowing me down here, don't want to get this finished and not know what to do next. The rest of the ship feels like it should be more armour and less mechanical detials but that sounds boring. Need to think of how to break up the surface and where to do some detail pits.

Maybe starting on the main cannons will help.
    109057.jpg109058.jpg109059.jpg
    impressive. I'd reason that the upper area is a thru-.deck fighter-bay?
    The reactor is looking great.

I totally understand about not knowing where to go next on a model build. It's always a momentum killer. :(