Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DA Space Odyssey Clavius Base landing pad

13»

• japetusjapetus2937 SeattlePosts: 1,397Member
    I did find this mesh from Starbase1...dunno if he's around here
    http://www.foundation3d.com/index.php?categoryid=38&p13_sectionid=214&p13_fileid=1916
  • WizWiz28 Posts: 0Member
    Fantastic stuff! :)
    Here's one more image from a totally differnt angle :) Another idea I had...

base_04.A01.jpg
    Starship1405
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    I like that a lot. :D
  • SchimpfySchimpfy396 Posts: 1,632Member
    That's a beauty right there. :thumb:
    Coming soon...I've re-rendered my Aries flyby and made a few more shots, and animated a couple of my stills to some 2001 music. Trying to find some more moon stuff for one more shot then I'll post it :)
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Nice. Don't know how I missed that latest shot until now, looks great.

:thumb:
    And here's my tribute animation...I had rendered some interior views a few years ago, thought about putting those in there, but they wouldn't do much. Also thought of doing another establishing shot of the landing pad coming into view over the edge of a crater (maybe Clavius crater? :-D) but for the sake of time I went with this. We'll see.

Edit: Updated to a version using the image sequences...probably just Pootube
    Starship1405
    That's freaking fantastic. The second sequence (looking "down" on the shuttle as it flies over the moon's surface) is a bit jumpy, but that may just be YouTurd and its crappy compression and video format.
    That's freaking fantastic. The second sequence (looking "down" on the shuttle as it flies over the moon's surface) is a bit jumpy, but that may just be YouTurd and its crappy compression and video format.

Thanks! Hmm yeah that's really jerky. I was lazy and used my videos in my AE comp. I'm making a new video using the frame sequences instead, hopefully it's a nicer result. Will change the link above!
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    That looks great, you've really captured the style of the movie with the long leisurely cuts and minimal camera movement. I haven't seen the movie for a while, so are these shots just inspired by, or did you match the sequence shot for shot?
    Thanks Talon...I just matched the tone and the general idea of the movie. I was actually a bit more inspired by some of the moon bus shots later in the film because it shows more landscape. I took creative liberties with my moon and it's more how it appears in the movie and less like real life. :)
    I just watched the second version and that sequence that was jerky looks nice and smooth now. :thumb:
  • TralfazTralfaz412 Posts: 846Member
    I think I've said it before, but it needs to be said again. Beautiful and amazing work, both models and animation.

[Edit]

Hi Japetus,

Found this stuff today while I was looking for 2001 reference images. Thought you might be interested...

Aries 1B Studio Model Survey Images

[Edit]
  • ArmondikovArmondikov0 Posts: 0Member
    Looks good enough to be part of the inevitable and unnecessary remake!
    To hell with remakes, they need to finally do films for the rest of the books first.
    Well, they did do 2010, but that wasn't anywhere the quality of 2001. Nice they were able to get Doug Rain and Keir Dullea for it though.
    Yes, they did 2010. It's good, but 2001: A Space Odyssey is a masterpiece. However, they didn't do 2061 or 3001, which they've been teasing at doing since 2010 was released. Apparently, Tom Hanks is interested in doing those films, though I don't know if that means just acting in them or producing them too.
  • bobc4dbobc4d171 Posts: 0Member
    a number of years ago there was a picture of the actual space station model prop used in 2001, it was outside in the elements (snow if I recall). really sad that it was discarded.

anyway, beautiful model and animation.
    While watching your animation my twisted mind came up with an alternate scene, as the Aries is descending into Calvius, a hacker breaks into Clavius' computer system, closes the doors and skewers Aries.
    bobc4d wrote: »
    a number of years ago there was a picture of the actual space station model prop used in 2001, it was outside in the elements (snow if I recall). really sad that it was discarded.

anyway, beautiful model and animation.
    While watching your animation my twisted mind came up with an alternate scene, as the Aries is descending into Calvius, a hacker breaks into Clavius' computer system, closes the doors and skewers Aries.
    Ha! That's a great idea. Then he says' I'm sorry Dave, I did that."
  • Lt. WashburnLt. Washburn331 Posts: 7Member
    Terrific work all around!
  • TomGTomG0 Posts: 0Member
    Love how the animation captures the feel, are you sure it's not some new found footage that was edited out :) The modeling and the stills are awesome too, but the video really brings it all together.
    And if you want to see an amazing model of the space station from 2001, check out joberg's studio scale model over at the RPF.

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=210841&highlight=2001+joberg
  • DavidChipmanDavidChipman171 Posts: 0Member
    japetus wrote: »
    And here's my tribute animation...I had rendered some interior views a few years ago, thought about putting those in there, but they wouldn't do much. Also thought of doing another establishing shot of the landing pad coming into view over the edge of a crater (maybe Clavius crater? :-D) but for the sake of time I went with this. We'll see.

Edit: Updated to a version using the image sequences...probably just Pootube
    I've read through the whole thread, and it looks great! My only critique would be the glare on the left-most curved panel, shown in the video above. The ligt is way too bright, to me.