Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DMillenium Falcon

• JWWrightJWWright171 Posts: 0Member
    The old girl is looking great! Can't wait to see more of the modeling in progress!
  • TralfazTralfaz412 Posts: 846Member
    Thanks folks. No modeling update today, but did want to post this link I found while searching for reference material.

Millennium Falcon: What Might Have Been
  • Vortex5972Vortex5972322 Posts: 1,202Member
    Ah, that. An interesting design, though I prefer what they went for.
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Yeah, most of us have seen the McQuarrie concept this was based on, but I feel the final solution was much better. Funnily enough the only reason they made the 11th hour change was due to them coming across Space 1999 and finding that the Moon Base Eagle Transporters from that show looked quite similar to their original Falcon design, hence the change to the flying hamburger we all know and love. Still it wasn't a total loss as we still get to see the design re-purposed as the Rebel Blockade Runner, this also explains why such a large well detailed model was used for a ship seen so briefly in the final movie as it was originally intended to be the main hero ship of that movie. So it is funny that if it wasn't for Space 1999 (itself the source of one of the great fictional spacecraft designs out there) we wouldn't have had the iconic Millennium Falcon design beloved by so many.
    I much prefer the hamburger Falcon then the blockade Falcon. It is such a unique design for the time. Gone were the cylindrical ships with huge fins and here came the realistic utilitarian ships of varied designs.

Hey guys, really need your help and opinions. Until I looked closely at the reference images of the 5 foot Millennium Falcon, I really had no idea just how beat up the ship is. Lots of battle scars and damaged hull sections. In this section I've been working on, there is some pretty heavy damage to the hull and plating and am not sure about how I have modeled it. Any ideas, opinions (either bad or good) would be greatly appreciated.

mf_0005.jpg

mf_0006.jpg
    I like what you've got. You could try subdividing and using fractal. I never realised before this thread that the ship was so beat up.
    Cracking detail levels there, that certainly shows a commitment to authenticity there, as many times as I've looked over this ship I haven't seen someone commit to this level of detail. Looking forward to seeing the rest.
  • DarkSapiensDarkSapiens174 Posts: 0Member
    In the first image it looks like the damaged panels shouldn't be so flat and "perfect" where they're properly attached to the hull, but other than that it looks amazing! Looking forward to the next updates :)
  • I think the damaged bits look good. The detail you have so far on this makes me drool. looking forward...
    Hey, thanks guys. Hope everyone had a great Christmas (for those who celebrate it).

Today's update consists of completing the section between the docking port and cockpit walkway. It's kind of hard doing the modeling without having actual measurements. I mean, I will guestimate a parts size and model it then go on to the next. When things start coming together, I find that I often need to go back and adjust the scale of the parts so they all match each other. It's time consuming, but it seems to be working out okay.

mf_0007.jpg

mf_0008.jpg
    Aye, seems to be doing the job alright. That's looking pretty sweet so far. Hope you had happy holidays too.
  • trekkitrekki951 Posts: 1,403Member
    Very nice details. Waiting for the finished object.
    Happy new year.
  • WizWiz28 Posts: 0Member
    Looking great :)
    Thanks guys.

Today's update doesn't really seem to show too much considering how long it's been since my last update. However, a lot of the time has been spent going through all the reference photos trying to find good images of the area I am working on. The hull plating was pretty easy to find, but the greebles were a different matter. Only found 3 reference images that I could use, but didn't show all angles that I wanted so some of the mesh is my interpretation of what I could see.

mf_0006-1.jpg
  • Chris2005Chris2005678 Posts: 3,097Member
    Superb! The level of detail is just jaw dropping.
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC 12GB
    1TB NVMe SSD, 2 x 1GB SATA SSD, 4TB external HDD
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Tralfaz wrote: »
    Today's update doesn't really seem to show too much considering how long it's been since my last update.

Considering how much I hate making greebles like this, (stuff based on real model world bits) it looks like a lot of work to me. ;) And, it's looking great. :thumb:
    Looks awesome.
  • psCargilepsCargile417 Posts: 620Member
    As you are doing this and run across features that are obviously car engine parts, do you model it the way it looks, or alter it?
    Thanks guys.

I am trying to model the Falcon as close to how it looks as I can. While going through the reference photos (plus a link at the RPF), I have found a lot of military parts, truck frames and transmission and an old fire truck windshield frame.

Thanks to some photos that a fellow modeler provided, I redid some of the detail at the back of the cockpit walkway. I think it looks much better now and closer to the studio model. Not perfect, but a lot closer.

mf_0007-1.jpg
    Beautiful, looks like you're achieving a cracking level of detail here. Though it looks like you weren't that far off with your first stab at it. Great work.
    Thanks everyone.

Once again it has been slow going but I am gradually making progress. Started working on the details along the top of the cockpit walkway. Once I get the top done, it should go a bit faster working on the hull plating again. The amount of detail on the rear engine deck kind of gives me nightmares. There is just so much of it. Hoping that if I get the left side of the deck done, it can be mirrored to the right leaving the center section to do. But that is a ways off yet.

mf_0009.jpg
  • WizWiz28 Posts: 0Member
    Its looking great mate, you are doing a fantastic job! :)
  • DarkSapiensDarkSapiens174 Posts: 0Member
    Yeah, and I think if you do it little by little instead of thinking in bigger terms, you'll soon have done more in total than you expected to. It's amazing how you are detailing all this, I love it :thumb:
  • ChrisGFXChrisGFX362 GermanyPosts: 607Member
    looks very good so far

I'm not sure which Falcon you are building ... looks like you are on a 32" base with 5footer details in ... so you are doing a "hybrid"?

if you need reference material for both, the 32" and the 5footer you should take a look here:

https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=B9FE0AEBDC25FDBC

You'll find a great resource of Star Wars Photos and exspecially for the Falcon models.

Chris
    On the subject of the Falcon, in the UK there is currently one of those magazines where you collect a part each week or whatever to build a model, and in this case it is to build a replica of the 32" Millennium Falcon (though this looks to be hybrid too, as it has the five landing gear configuration and is stated as being the TESB version), now usually I consider these sort of things to be pretty crap, but from looking at the shots of the finished product, and buying the (discount priced) first issue and looking at the pieces that came with it, I might just invest in this one, it looks pretty damned accurate and is a combination of resin and metal pieces I believe, with light up elements and interiors. The first issue also comes with a life sized blueprint so you could get an impression of the size of the completed asset, and map where your components go on the model. You should check it out.

Here's the link: http://www.buildmillenniumfalcon.com/?gclid=Cj0KEQiA6JemBRC5tYLRwYGcwosBEiQANA3IB9C8otclcY6O8kEn1w0laqX2EMYyk2eF6Zpcq__s1I0aAt9R8P8HAQ
    TALON_UK wrote: »
    On the subject of the Falcon, in the UK there is currently one of those magazines where you collect a part each week or whatever to build a model, and in this case it is to build a replica of the 32" Millennium Falcon (though this looks to be hybrid too, as it has the five landing gear configuration and is stated as being the TESB version), now usually I consider these sort of things to be pretty crap, but from looking at the shots of the finished product, and buying the (discount priced) first issue and looking at the pieces that came with it, I might just invest in this one, it looks pretty damned accurate and is a combination of resin and metal pieces I believe, with light up elements and interiors. The first issue also comes with a life sized blueprint so you could get an impression of the size of the completed asset, and map where your components go on the model. You should check it out.

Here's the link: http://www.buildmillenniumfalcon.com/?gclid=Cj0KEQiA6JemBRC5tYLRwYGcwosBEiQANA3IB9C8otclcY6O8kEn1w0laqX2EMYyk2eF6Zpcq__s1I0aAt9R8P8HAQ

yes it seems to be very accurate I have heard from others too ... BUT ... at the end it very expencive ;)
    Yeah, I was adding it up to see how much it would cost, and it is a pretty penny.

:eek!:

....but if you think about how much something like the Master Replicas 1:1 studio scale models cost they were Aï¿¡1000 plus, so might be a bit of an investment, as it certainly ends up cheaper than that, and is paid over a period of time rather than all in one go, and as I haven't built a physical model in some time it'll be quite a bit of fun to get into that side of things again.
    Thanks guys.

ChrisGFX, I am working strictly from the 5 foot photos. What made you think it was a hybrid? Would like to correct it if I can.

And over at the RPF, there is a fellow who is building the Falcon from those weekly magazines. Interesting project so far.
    Tralfaz wrote: »
    Thanks guys.

ChrisGFX, I am working strictly from the 5 foot photos. What made you think it was a hybrid? Would like to correct it if I can.

And over at the RPF, there is a fellow who is building the Falcon from those weekly magazines. Interesting project so far.

have you used some blueprints for the basic shape? I know there are some great ones made by maruska - http://falcon.maruskadesign.com/ he has made a set of Blueprints for the 32" Flacon

Yours look like a 32" in the basic shape with details from the 5footer. I did the same "error" long time ago ;)

but anyway ... you Falkon looks great! Keep up the great work!

Chris
    Damn, that Falcon research and work on that site is awesome, and he's 3D printing it too? Love the work they've done so far. That is some definitive research work that has been done there, especially for the cockpit.

:thumb:
    ChrisGFX wrote: »
    have you used some blueprints for the basic shape? I know there are some great ones made by maruska - http://falcon.maruskadesign.com/ he has made a set of Blueprints for the 32" Flacon

Yours look like a 32" in the basic shape with details from the 5footer. I did the same "error" long time ago ;)

but anyway ... you Falkon looks great! Keep up the great work!

Chris