Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DAnother bunch of Trek interiors

• StarscreamStarscream231 Posts: 1,049Member
    Ahah! Well, close enough. Maybe you could consider modelling his apartment next :D

(seriously though I don't think anyone has ever tackled either 2D mapping or modelling that place?)
  • lennier1lennier1913 Posts: 1,281Member
    ^^ Might be nice, but the next items on the ToDo list would be the brig and the junior officers quarters.
  • StarscreamStarscream231 Posts: 1,049Member
    Nah I know, just kidding. ;)
  • ST-OneST-One188 Posts: 293Member
    lennier1 wrote: »
    @ST-One: Thanks, old pal! Nice to see you around these parts again. You wouldn't happen to feel any urge to fire up LightWave again? ;)

No, not really...
    100840.png
    At least it's still installed. ;)
  • StarshipStarship465 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member
    I think that Seanr left a heir which can claim the crown.
    In fact, youA’re already steps ahead of the master. ;)
    Thanks, Cassio, but I'm barely scratching the surface of what Sean is capable of.
    I often regret that the shifting priorities in his life also meant that he didn't continue to blow our minds with his models, but a look at IRML's interiors proves that my stuff in this thread is mere amateur league at best.
  • tobiantobian226 Posts: 1,600Member
    Haha Your interiors are coming along nicely, the quality and design is definitely there, and just a bit of grading or more contrasty lighting will really make them shine (though of course you're limited per it's useage!) The chairs look great, though since everyone had a go at me.. shouldn't they be adjustable. They aren't very ergonomic work chairs :p You're welcome to my chair models if you want, not that they are better or anything :D
    I'll take your word for it, even though I certainly don't see it myself.
    The current chairs are suitable enough for their purpose, but thanks for the offer.

Adjusted the camera angle to show more details and tried some less extreme post processing settings.
    tmppotemkinsickbay0044.th.jpg
  • tobiantobian226 Posts: 1,600Member
    Hmm you're getting some lanzcross filtering issues round the lights, Be careful with sharpening HDR images, as they can end up producing those dark halo effects.

Very nice looking interior. I love your display textures, though something more medical would be better. Maybe the art they used in TMP, with the body overlay or somesuch?
    Thanks.
    What you're looking for is on the display to the right. Those controls on the left are for the transporter booth (a Phase 2 detail that never made it into the TMP set, but was included this time).
  • BlueNeumannBlueNeumann631 Posts: 1,287Member
    Does anyone know what those switch circle things were? I feel like they were real things that the set designers got a gross of and put everywhere.
    Watching Red Dwarf on some streaming site. Not sure if that's a good combination.

Turns out Autodesk still couldn't be arsed to fix a certain three year old bug in their MR implementation, which leads to errors like those black spots on the far wall. There's a camera filter as a workaround for that, but I haven't yet installed that on this new system.
    tmppotemkinsickbay0045.th.jpg
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    You do know it's asking a lot for a software company to actually fix bugs, right? :shiner:

Those last couple renders look great. Though, in the one where we can see the console, is that a star chart in the upper right? Kind of an odd place for that. ;)
    Thanks.
    Considering that those are the controls for the single-pad transporter alcove, a photo of a fluffy bunny just didn't make as much sense.

Autodesk always seems to be kinda slow on the uptake. They recently announced a new feature for 2014, which in the end isn't much more than enabling a feature which mental ray has had for three years (maybe a magic number with that company). They basically licensed a Ferrari engine, but only managed to implement the first two gears and half of the reverse.
    Why would a transporter need a star chart? ;) (you realize I'm just messing with you in good fun, right?)

I don't know much about Autodesk, I only have one of their programs. (Sketchbook Pro for Android) However, it seems to be a universal constant that software companies are a lot better at breaking stuff than they are at fixing stuff. That's especially true for any software that receives frequent patches. Said patches always seem to cause more bugs than they fix.
    It's actually a screenshot from an air traffic control radar to show that they're somehow tracking what's going on on the ground.
    Nice. I was only guessing about it looking like a star chart. That definitely makes sense, though. What's the one below it, a photographic representation of the surface? It looks like land to me.
    Yes, the one above is a data representation, while the one below is live camera footage.
    It's been a few weeks, so I guess it's time for a little update:

First Contact Steamrunner Bridge
    Blending elements of the Prometheus, Nova and Intrepid bridges with a more Sovereign-like color scheme:
    TNG Steamrunner Bridge 1merged4.jpg
    VR version: http://www.fastswf.com/i2gEsSs

TNG Miranda Bridge
    Reducing a blueprint found on DeviantArt to its basic shapes and then building an early season 1 TNG bridge from that:
    TNG Miranda Bridge 1merge.jpg
    VR version: http://www.fastswf.com/rR7bCSg

TNG Soyuz Bridge
    Combining my old favorite, the Joshua Class bridge with design elements from the Pasteur bridge and Runabout cockpit:
    TNG Soyuz Bridge 3b.jpg TNG Soyuz Bridge 3a.jpg
    VR version: http://www.fastswf.com/HufX2O4
    107601.jpg107602.jpg107603.jpg107604.jpg
    Rory1707
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    The VR-link on the steamrunner shows a "miranda" labelled bridge and vice versa. Also, the pics themsevels don't seem to work perperly, all I get is a black screen....
    From what I can tell though, they look great.
    Thanks!
    The links are now switched to the correct order.

The VR versions are basically just Adobe Flash containers that allow people to pan around panoramic images in a style similar to the good old QuickTime VR files. They're working just fine on several systems on my end.
  • commandersozocommandersozo492 Posts: 628Member
    great work, lennier1. they look awesome. me likes.
  • BlueNeumannBlueNeumann631 Posts: 1,287Member
    Oh my god I love these, it's like actually being on new sets. I've been meaning to draw the interiors I had intended for my alternate-style Trek ships, if you're in need of new configurations to play with.
    These are fantastic. I really like how you combined elements from different bridges to make one nice looking bridge for each ship. I really like simple stuff, like the TOS-style upper consoles on the Soyuz bridge and the long, single helm/ops/nav station consoles in the TNG-style. You also solved a lot of the issues I have with the later era bridges, such as odd shapes and wasted space. As great as the renders are, I really like the VR versions. Those allow us to get a "captain's eye" view of each bridge, which is great. I moved that camera around as much as I could and looked at everything I could on all three. :D

By the way, your materials are fantastic. I especially like your chair materials, which can be seen really closely in the VR views.
  • BorgManBorgMan209 DutchlandPosts: 581Member
    That Soyuz is great. Less fan of the Steamrunner for some reason or another, perhaps it's the wooden railing that looks as if it curves down too steep to be actually usefull. Other than that, really digging those bridges. Think you can brainstorm with me sometime to cook up a timeship bridge?
  • seanrseanr1119 Brooklyn, NYPosts: 602Member
    These are really good. The fabric on the chairs in the second two pics is damned near perfect - wish I knew how you got that texture like that. The first set, the bump map on the leather needs to be toned down a bit, but otherwise excellent as well. The one thing that really jumps out at me about the first one, however, is the angle of the sides of the turbolift alcove. The should be the same as the TMP alcoves (since those were reused throughout from TMP - FC). You can see an example here:

http://www.webolutionary.com/truespace/gallery/seanr/temp/bridge_sovereign-9.jpg

This shows how angled those sides are pretty we - the corners nearly intersect the bulkheads:

http://www.webolutionary.com/startrek/enterprise_st6_bridge/tucb-74.jpg
    http://www.webolutionary.com/startrek/enterprise_st6_bridge/A22.jpg

This shows the exact curvature of the wall segments from which the alcoves are cut in the upper left dimensioned in feet and inches:

http://www.webolutionary.com/startrek/constitution_refit/ph2-xsec.jpg
  • Vortex5972Vortex5972321 Posts: 1,202Member
    That Soyuz bridge is awesome, though it feels a little cold with so much blue.
    First of all, thanks everyone!

@BlueNeumann: Sorry, but after these I'm actually more in the mood for something other than bridges.

@evil_genius_180: Glad I'm not the only with that approach to bridges. Those overhead displays are actually something that was born out of necessity when they had to modify the "bridge of the week" for the Pasteur and still make it look different enough from the regular redresses during the show. http://tng.trekcore.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=176&page=58

@BorgMan: Well, I wanted to try something different after all those TNG bridges. That railing is actually the same metal that's used throughout the rest of the bridge. The idea was to later put the actual console on top of it, kinda like the back console on the Intrepid bridge. There's something bugging me about that bridge as well, but I can't quite put my finger on it.
    Timeship? Try to study some of Sean's more unusual bridges from back in the day. There are two or three that should give you a few valuable ideas.

@Sean: That's high praise from the man that practically wrote the book on this kind of stuff!
    Yes, I still need to adjust many of those procedural bumps, but many of the problems didn't really pop out until I got to the VR pics that were originally only an afterthought.
    Max has this little feature where you basically just slap in a camera, fire off an alternate rendering mode and then save the panorama sphere once that utility has finished doing its job. once that's done you just need an external tool to wrap an Adobe Flash interface around it.
    A lot of this isn't actually my handiwork but the result of the advanced shaders, global illumination and features of modern renderers in general. With today's tech and having learned by studying your work, simple stuff like my bridges is actually dead easy. It's the level of realism that's found in work like Dave's interiors or Andrew's material setups that will have people tearing their hair out.
    As for the turbolift alcoves, I was originally planning to put lamps next to the cut-out, hence the more narrow approach and using a more TNG-like alcove just wouldn't have felt right either in this case.

@Vortex5972: Sounds strange, but since it's a science ship that's actually what I was aiming for when I picked the Runabout and the Pasteur as a base.

@topic: Not all of my experiments do work out that well, as proven by these throwaway sets:
    TNG BridgeOfTheWeek.jpg Pre-TNG Cruiser Bridge 1combined.jpg
    107610.jpg107611.jpg
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    Alright, now I can say some more about it. :) Nice work there, I like the Miranda best. The Steamrunner looked a bit too much like a simplified Sovereign for me and the Soyuz a bit too dull (dunno how else to describe it).