Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DMarklin Class

MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9921 Posts: 5,337Member
edited November 2014 in Work in Progress #1
Ok giving this it's own thread as it really is not part of the Project. I might use it with those ships but I think it is different enough to justify kicking it out of that thread.

I am only working from the FASA top down view. I am not considering any other fan designs or images. I am loosely using any data that I see works with existing canon. Stuff like lasers and the like just make no sense with ENT having phasers etc. Also given the time frame of within 10years of the connie I see no reason to let old ships like the NX influence this build.

I have also decided to take this into my own verse so it will have more influences from the LETHE and my RERECONNIE than any TOS canon look. It does not mean I will not try to make it fit TOS or have a TOS feel. Note, this is not JJVERSE either.

Currently I have just made the struts as part of the main hull and have refined some elements of the ship. Ignore the deflector housing and lack of sensor dome those are areas I still need to nail down.

In regards to known stats (think they are from the FASA manual itself) I have decided to ignore the length given @ 260m this thing would have nearly 2 times the girth of the connie. So I am thinking a max of 240m. I think it is short of that right now as I repositioned the nacelles when replacing the struts. Given the classification of Destroyer I really want to scale it down to 200meters and stuff some huge impulse assemblies on it. But some of those notes say they are not maneuverable etc, the opposite of a Destroyer by definition.

Impulse engines are placeholders as I have not decided where I will locate them. In all likely hood they will remain where they are but the elements will be replaced with something more inline with the rereconnie. I have yet to decide if I will do something like I did to the rereconnies nacelles on this model or stick with the round nacelles seen on the LETHE. I would love the excise that rear butt bump but for now I am retaining it for the sake of the top down view.

To note the 3d model that was floating around the net I think is a derivative of the Marklin as some of the stats mention another class of ship based on the Markin with a larger bridge. This is part of why I am sticking ONLY to the FASA image. Not to mention a bridge of that girth would be HUGE. Something on the order of 200ft in dai.

Anyhow this all is just an attempt to give a primer for what I am doing with this thing and what to expect from it as it progresses. I am basically having to take and leave data and do my own thing here and there while retaining some sort of resemblance to the FASA image.

On to the images.

To start a repost of the doodles. None of these are final works just suggestions of where it is going.

Now for the current WIP images. TO see block in visit the "The Project" thread.

The ugly view Size comparo to the lethe
Note this is not for Axanar, just inspired by I suppose.
107101.png
Post edited by MadKoiFish on
Each day we draw closer to the end.
Tagged:

• PsychyoPsychyo0 Posts: 0Member
    Have you decided where the bridge is going to go? I know it's not usual design, but it might be cool to see the bridge right at the front underneath where the torpedo launchers are.
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9921 Posts: 5,337Member
    There likely will not be a visible bridge fixture.
  • HelotHelot391 Posts: 164Member
    I have always thought having a 'shoot here to kill all the important people' bubble on a ship was sort of silly. This is awesome.
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9921 Posts: 5,337Member
    Well this is TREK so shields go no matter where you are your at risk to even the weakest of the weapons be they phasers or torps. So having a easy to access easy to replace structure would be easier to deal with. Something to shoot at has very little meaning in trek unless your aiming to do as little damage as possible. (remember trek III) My thinking here is to place the bridge in a area of the ship that has the best access via interior areas. So a breached deck or hall wont isolate the bridge. This also allows for easier trunkline access for networking power etc and quick rerouting of such stuff to the bridge.

Even in the standard federation location there is more strength being in the center of the saucer and center of the saucer deflection grid than in the nose of this ship. I also do not see the nose of a ship a good place to put command staff. It follows the same idea why you do not see command and ops decks on the front of navel ships. With this said I plan to locate the bridge somewhere central and just above or near level to the top of the saucer. It will be 2 or 3 decks below the top part of the wedge with say ready rooms etc above it then the sensors which will probably be my "tell" for the viewer where the command staff are, the COCKPIT per say.

Some of the doodle overs that show some ideas. Torps in the nose I think placing them lower down if I go with them would look nicer than what I have doodled in.

marklin-027b.jpg?w=600
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1188 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,630Member
    This is an awesome take on the design... and I love your deflector dish!
  • BlueNeumannBlueNeumann698 Posts: 1,343Member
    I'm really curious to see this thing in action. It calls for it's own strange, off-kilter theme music to go along with it.
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    Nice work there. :)
  • SaquistSaquist1 Posts: 0Member
    MadKoiFish wrote: »
    Well this is TREK so shields go no matter where you are your at risk to even the weakest of the weapons be they phasers or torps. So having a easy to access easy to replace structure would be easier to deal with. Something to shoot at has very little meaning in trek unless your aiming to do as little damage as possible. (remember trek III) My thinking here is to place the bridge in a area of the ship that has the best access via interior areas. So a breached deck or hall wont isolate the bridge. This also allows for easier trunkline access for networking power etc and quick rerouting of such stuff to the bridge.

Even in the standard federation location there is more strength being in the center of the saucer and center of the saucer deflection grid than in the nose of this ship. I also do not see the nose of a ship a good place to put command staff. It follows the same idea why you do not see command and ops decks on the front of navel ships. With this said I plan to locate the bridge somewhere central and just above or near level to the top of the saucer. It will be 2 or 3 decks below the top part of the wedge with say ready rooms etc above it then the sensors which will probably be my "tell" for the viewer where the command staff are, the COCKPIT per say.

Some of the doodle overs that show some ideas. Torps in the nose I think placing them lower down if I go with them would look nicer than what I have doodled in.

marklin-027b.jpg?w=600

So reasonable it doesn't sound trek at all.

My opinion is that without the deflector sticking out bellow the top is quite compelling...strong.
    The blunted nose carries more aesthetic cues from the top flat deck above. The tubes on the front are aggressive and intimidating. Both designs would spoil the forward warp field but I would rather spoil the field for weapons than a oversized asteroid blocker.
  • USS MarinerUSS Mariner0 Posts: 0Member
    I would honestly experiment with having a bridge that's offset from the centerline, regardless of whether it the bridge itself is the traditional dome or something sunken into the top like the windows on the APC from Aliens, given the flat space on the top of the saucer.