Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DEnterprise-D Main Bridge

D-JotaD-Jota390 Posts: 47Member
edited January 2015 in Finished Work #1
I wish to present to the community a personal milestone of mine; It's taken me about... 14 years!

I'd like to name drop Sean Robertson who was almost certainly the flashpoint of my inspiration for this project and who (along with a handful of other artists) had no idea that through the presentation of his art he'd be in some way responsible for motivating me to launch my exploration of the world of 3D art.
107204.jpg
107205.jpg
Post edited by D-Jota on
JESStarCruiser
Tagged:

• trekkitrekki953 Posts: 1,407Member
    Very beautiful object. All very nice detail.
    I like it very much. What program do you work?
    Greetings
    :thumb:
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    That looks fantastic. :thumb:
  • count23count23361 Posts: 782Member
    very nicely done, the dimensions look about right. About the only thing i'd suggest is to maybe put a filter on the image with a touch of grain and that'll bring up the realism a bit. Perhaps bevel a few edges too.

Love it though, most accurate TNG bridge recreation i've seen on this site so far.

I wanna say it inspires me to go back and finish mine, but nah, :P

Only thing i'd change, is the door labels are a bit too big and too red, they need to be more burgandy.
    Formerly Nadesico.

Current Projects:
    Ambassador Class
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1120 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,573Member
    Frakkin' awesome!
  • IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
    good job
  • D-JotaD-Jota390 Posts: 47Member
    Thanks for the positive comments everyone; I can't tell you how much I really appreciate that.
    trekki wrote: »
    Very beautiful object. All very nice detail.
    I like it very much. What program do you work?
    Greetings
    :thumb:

Hi trekki!
    I'm running LightWave 3D 9.6.
    Nadesico wrote: »
    very nicely done, the dimensions look about right. About the only thing i'd suggest is to maybe put a filter on the image with a touch of grain and that'll bring up the realism a bit. Perhaps bevel a few edges too.

Love it though, most accurate TNG bridge recreation i've seen on this site so far.

I wanna say it inspires me to go back and finish mine, but nah, :P

Only thing i'd change, is the door labels are a bit too big and too red, they need to be more burgandy.

Hi Nadesico!
    I have a render of Sean Robertson's TNG bridge which I archived a million years ago but I don't ever recall seeing anyone else attempting one; do you know who it was that took a crack at this? - I'd very much like to see it.

And if I may suggest, you REALLY should finish the TNG bridge set that you've started; what exactly is stopping you?

And thank you for your suggestions. I did go over a few references I have related to the labels and you're absolutely right; mine are a bit red. I was able to colour pic the appropriate red right from a graphic I had archived from Mike Okuda's own website so there's no argument there.

More renders anyone?
    107217.jpg107218.jpg107219.jpg107220.jpg107221.jpg107222.jpg107223.jpg107224.jpg107225.jpg107226.jpg
    StarCruiser
    D-Jota wrote: »
    Thanks for the positive comments everyone; I can't tell you how much I really appreciate that.
    Hi Nadesico!
    I have a render of Sean Robertson's TNG bridge which I archived a million years ago but I don't ever recall seeing anyone else attempting one; do you know who it was that took a crack at this? - I'd very much like to see it.

tnpir4002. He has some old archived threads here, did some really low-quality ones in blender that were based on the generations floorplan, dimensions were off everywhere, but it was the only other attempt to build the bridge outside of seanr's, so you have to give him some credit. Though he spat the dummy and abused the hell out of people trying to help him from this site long ago, so I have no idea if the images are still up and frankly, don't really care either.
    And if I may suggest, you REALLY should finish the TNG bridge set that you've started; what exactly is stopping you?

Lack of time, and chronic depression, I have no motivation to do any 3d modelling these days. But I still enjoy the research. Plus, my goal was to build all of the Stage 9 and Stage 8 sets for TNG, but I started on stage 9 first and just lost steam. My current project is helping assemble blueprints and layouts for ALL star trek series sets, working with a few others here on trekbbs: http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=244483 (I'm count on that thread BTW).
    And thank you for your suggestions. I did go over a few references I have related to the labels and you're absolutely right; mine are a bit red. I was able to colour pic the appropriate red right from a graphic I had archived from Mike Okuda's own website so there's no argument there.

Fair call, I was watching TNG season 2 on blu-ray today too and noticed that the labels are redder than I remember, I chock that up now to the SD quality editing of the original series. I'd check generations later too, but they redressed the bridge so the labels could have had colour changes.
    Formerly Nadesico.

Current Projects:
    Ambassador Class
  • batboy853batboy853333 Posts: 88Member
    tnpir4002. He has some old archived threads here, did some really low-quality ones in blender that were based on the generations floorplan, dimensions were off everywhere, but it was the only other attempt to build the bridge outside of seanr's, so you have to give him some credit. Though he spat the dummy and abused the hell out of people trying to help him from this site long ago, so I have no idea if the images are still up and frankly, don't really care either.

My current project is helping assemble blueprints and layouts for ALL star trek series sets, working with a few others here on trekbbs: http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=244483 (I'm count on that thread BTW).

tnpir4002, wasn't using blender im pretty sure it was C4d or something which was why he was never going to release the meshes, something about having to export each part of the overall mesh as a separate object or something blah blah. There are images of his sets on these wiki's
    http://stexpanded.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Trek_III:_Redemption
    http://stexpanded.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Trek_II:_Retribution

I have totally been following your thread on TrekBBS! I'm thinking one of my next projects will be to build the voyager engineering in blender to be used in source filmmaker. Probably followed by the rest of the sets of voyager.
    You may know of me as AndyP elsewhere...
  • trekkitrekki953 Posts: 1,407Member
    D-Jota:
    The last pictures are fantastic.
    Do we have any chance to get the item?
    regards
    Lack of time, and chronic depression, I have no motivation to do any 3d modelling these days. But I still enjoy the research. Plus, my goal was to build all of the Stage 9 and Stage 8 sets for TNG, but I started on stage 9 first and just lost steam. My current project is helping assemble blueprints and layouts for ALL star trek series sets, working with a few others here on trekbbs: http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=244483 (I'm count on that thread BTW).

Sorry to hear about that Nadesico. I too have been on a mission to recreate all the Next Gen sets. Thus far I have found the whole project quite satisfying so I'll dare to stick my neck out and say that i'll have enough puff to see this thing through to the end (wherever the end may be).
    Your current project is a worthy one however and will certainly score the gratitude of the community; I have actually dropped in on that thread from time to time during my hunt for references.
    batboy853 wrote: »
    tnpir4002, wasn't using blender im pretty sure it was C4d or something which was why he was never going to release the meshes, something about having to export each part of the overall mesh as a separate object or something blah blah. There are images of his sets on these wiki's

Hi batboy853, thanks for posting the links. I did check them out; I think they're pretty good although he's taken a lot of liberties with the layout and he's made a number of decisions that I wouldn't have. I'm a little envious of his conn and ops chairs! :D
    trekki wrote: »
    D-Jota:
    The last pictures are fantastic.
    Do we have any chance to get the item?
    regards

Hi Trekki, Cheers! - I've no intentions to release the model in it's current build at this time. I will however be submitting a lower poly version packed with an updated release of Prologic9's Enterprise-D model, hopefully soon... Probably in the new year.
    Sorry to hear about that Nadesico. I too have been on a mission to recreate all the Next Gen sets. Thus far I have found the whole project quite satisfying so I'll dare to stick my neck out and say that i'll have enough puff to see this thing through to the end (wherever the end may be).
    Your current project is a worthy one however and will certainly score the gratitude of the community; I have actually dropped in on that thread from time to time during my hunt for references.

Really? I found it quite annoying, one of the things that held me up a heap was (apart from dimensions which i think i've nailed down) is the half-assed way the sets were extended from the TMP era to the TNG area. Particularly around the sickbay. It took a while for me to realize two things, firstly that the main sickbay door is 1 foot wider then the rest of the doors in the set, and secondly that the corridor "crimps" at that point right opposite the door and produces a strange shape. but i digress.

My original progress and first thread is still in my signature, but i abandoned that early on as it was a combined Maya-learning experience and my first attempt to 3d model in quite some time. I got frustrated and gave up that. May revive it again soon, i do occasionally get the modelling itch that should be scratched :)

You should post your corridor progress in the wip forum if you've made any, that way we can give you tips and extra resources as you go. :)
    Formerly Nadesico.

Current Projects:
    Ambassador Class
  • homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,891Member
    Great job!
    batboy853 wrote: »

I have totally been following your thread on TrekBBS! I'm thinking one of my next projects will be to build the voyager engineering in blender to be used in source filmmaker. Probably followed by the rest of the sets of voyager.
    He actually modeled it in Bryce and released some of his sets. FTR, tnpir4002 wasn't going on about lovingly recreating the TNG/GEN sets, he was making a movie and building the sets he needed, and doing a decent job of it, until the explosion.
  • batboy853batboy853333 Posts: 88Member
    D-Jota, you should check out how SeanR made his, I think they are really close, he has a bridge set on 3dgladiators. Also there is a really good ops and conn set for sketchup made by Aryh Peixoto Filho. Who has made all of the TNG Stage 6 in sketchup.

Homer, you are right! now that you mention it I think I remember his bridge being on the now no longer download section here, but haven't seen his other sets anywhere else, but would not mind seeing them.
    You may know of me as AndyP elsewhere...
  • seanrseanr1148 Brooklyn, NYPosts: 608Member
    This is quite well done. I'd work on improving the lighting some (and you've got some interesting shadow artifacts) as well as the cloth and leather textures for the chairs, aft stations and turbolift alcove wall panels, but all in all this is quite good. I'm particularly impressed with the ceiling and walls, as those are exceptionally difficult shapes.

If you're interested in seeing my old reference material, it's all here:

http://www.webolutionary.com/startrek/enterprise_tng_bridge/
  • homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,891Member
    seanr wrote: »
    This is quite well done. I'd work on improving the lighting some (and you've got some interesting shadow artifacts) as well as the cloth and leather textures for the chairs, aft stations and turbolift alcove wall panels, but all in all this is quite good. I'm particularly impressed with the ceiling and walls, as those are exceptionally difficult shapes.

Sean, ya gotta update the refs with BluRay screencaps :)

@D-J: www.trekcore.com has HD screencaps from all the shows and movies, although its always a chore to find the right image :p
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    He only has 3 screen shots in there. The rest are floor plans and set photos. Besides, anybody who wants HD screen caps can get them from TrekCore.

Hi Sean!

I've stared at these a lot over the weeks; I actually thought the lighting was pretty good (If I do say so!). I'm not sure what aspect of the lighting setup I could tweak to better represent the 'chilled out' expression of the actual set. I did attempt to keep the lighting setup of the scene as representative as I could to the light sources of the model except for an 'invisible' overhead source above the command chairs. I can't explain the shadow artefacts nor do I currently possess anything in my toolkit to correct them.

I do hear you on those chairs though. I'm loathed to confess that I draw very little satisfaction modelling the chairs (that also goes for the chairs I made for my observation lounge and my ten forward sets) because every chair I have created is clad in compromise. The geometry is a guaranteed headache (and an inevitable botch-job) and then there's the creation and application of textures to make the fabrics look like something you'd actually want to sink your bum in to, which continues to elude me.

The ceiling really is a testament to my patience and perseverance; I had to abort and restart the whole model after having failed to resolve the transition from walls to the ceiling which was a major pain in the ass! Enclosing the model in it's ceiling, walls and it's floor felt like a real milestone and progressed this story in to a real page turner; I was pretty chuffed... Then a world of apprehensive when I had to cut those alcoves.

But... Really glad to see that you got around to visiting this thread. Many thanks for the feedback.
    @D-J: www.trekcore.com has HD screencaps from all the shows and movies, although its always a chore to find the right image :p

Hi Homer

The HD screencaps archived at Trek Core were a major godsend especially when it came to reproducing all those graphics... and really not that much of a chore if you love the show (which I do!).

In all honesty I had next to no needs nor wants regarding reference imagery (for once). I've amassed so many Ent-D bridge stills and photos, plans and diagrams over the years. The panoramic file for the bridge on the Interactive Tech Manual CD-ROM also served as my constant companion throughout this project.

I really wish that the orthos I had to work from had been a lot bigger; if you refer to the attached you'll note that they're pretty puny. Access to some solid references related to the graphics used on the set would have been greatly appreciated as I still had to interpret, guess, connect dots and make $h!Aï¿¡ up to cross the finish line for all that.
    107740.jpg107741.jpg107742.jpg
    Where on earth did you get those others? I'd give my right arm for a high-res version of those (but only if someone could make a prosthetic that could still work a mouse effectively!).
    Where on earth did you get those others? I'd give my right arm for a high-res version of those (but only if someone could make a prosthetic that could still work a mouse effectively!).

...and I'd give your right arm for high-res issues of those orthos too! :lol:

Periodically I'll raid Google-Images for Trek reference material and this came up in one of those searches. I can't remember what site hosted this particular image but it still ranks reasonably high on a search for Ent-D bridge plans; they were really useful despite their small size.
    Just managed to track down the source of that image (http://www.newstarship.com/) and emailed them to see if they could share a 2X copy of that without the jpeg compression - that would at least be sufficient to read the dimensions, I think.

[edit: More accurately, that image was posted at http://www.tested.com/inventern/450460-enterprise-bridge-restoration/, but I'm quite certain the original came from the organization referenced in the article.]
    Y'know that actually rings a bell...

I suspected that they weren't scans of the original set plans drawn up for the series, but that they were actually of the plans that were drawn up for the bridges recreated for one of the Star Trek tours; I actually visited the one that was assembled up in London a few years back. For whatever reason the set designers for those tours didn't want the command chairs sinking as far below the tactical console as we saw in the series and that at least appears to be reflected in the plans posted here.
    107754.jpg
    For whatever reason the set designers for those tours didn't want the command chairs sinking as far below the tactical console as we saw in the series and that at least appears to be reflected in the plans posted here.

That was actually for legal issues related to ADA accessibility. Although, there's a further error in the recreation that exacerbates the problem - there's actually a low wall-like thing that follows the sweep of the curve above where the floor flattens out behind the console. You can see it pretty clearly in the top photo by following the red border of the carpeting. That extra piece seems to be missing from the bottom one.
    Got a reply:
    All our blueprints are boxed up and have no way to get to right now. I do remember from front to back it was 50' and side to side 23'

I'm not entirely convinced of that, though, and it's not readily clear where those dimensions are taken from since the drawing is so low-res. :-(
    That's a shame - Any indication as to whether they'll be up for sharing the drawings with the community at some point in the future?
    I don't know - it seemed like it as the only reason given was they didn't have immediate access to the boxes (I presume they're off in storage somewhere - hopefully archival quality!). At any rate, I've attached a gift - cleaned up their photo as much as I could. Not enough to read the dimensions, but much higher quality and you may be able to extrapolate based on the previous information given and whatever else you may have.
    107755.jpg
    Miracle worker!! :thumb:

Sifting through my archives I've just found a more complete scan of the set plans... Quality is still pretty poor though.

Sean, can you work the same resize and clean up routine on this one as well?
    107756.jpg
    See attached. Where did you find that one, BTW? If we can get to the bottom of where these came from, we may be able to find someone else with copies or a better scan.
    107762.jpg
    I honestly can't remember where specifically I obtained the scan but a quick search on Google-Images suggests that I scored it off of Joseph Dickerson's blog; a guy associated with the bridge restoration at http://www.newstarship.com/

Well done for the clean up job by the way!
  • tnpir4002tnpir4002418 Posts: 1,277Member
    edited June 2023 #30
    To set the record straight--I built the original sets using Bryce, a tool which is hardly optimal for the work but it's what I had, so it's what I used. At one point an early version of my Generations bridge was available in the Downloads section of this site (back when we had one), but sadly that version is long since lost to time now. I do still have the original sets from Specter and from the two sequels, I was planning on re-building the Generations bridge for my new project to make it more proportional thanks to material found on Star Trek Set Plans, but sadly the hand-scrawled markup on the blueprints makes the dimensions extremely hard to read (not the fault of the user that shared them, the blame for that goes to whoever marked up the originals in 1987).

As it is I think I'm just going to re-use the older set that I already have, since it also has a proportional ready room. @D-Jota I'd be very interested to hear what choices I made that you wouldn't have.

And as for the rest...especially the tantrummery by count23, formerly known as Nadesico...all I can really say is I'm glad Timothy Zahn isn't the only one who can write compelling fiction. And sadly, this was not the first nor was it the only time count23/Nadesico tried to badmouth me.

To set the record straight: I left the site for a number of reasons, including the behavior of several members (IRML and Colbmista are the two names that come to mind, but there were others), along with a stream of "suggestions" from members that I found to be incredibly absurd (in one case, I believe someone seriously thought I should add a Digimon to the cast). The majority of the people count23 claims were trying to "help" were in fact trying to hijack my project for their own reasons, and Nadesico in particular was having sour grapes because after I left, I refused to credit SFM or anyone affiliated with it for anything, and that included Nadesico's contribution of a collection of sound effects. (Sorry that you took exception to that, but excluding SFM meant excluding SFM, period, and I wasn't inclined to make an exception for you.)

If you need any other clarification as to why I left this site back then...the infantile behavior on display by Count23/Nadesico is all the answer you need.
    Post edited by tnpir4002 on