Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

2DAlt Timeline Gamma Class

DamoclesDamocles171 Posts: 0Member
edited October 2014 in Work in Progress #1
Hey there!

As mentioned in my other thread, Ent Alternate Timeline, I also started working on and designing the Gamma Class vessel.

The Gamma is a hybrid of the Interpid Class and NX-Class from Enterprise. It is larger than both vessels (moderately so than the NX and incredibly so for the Intrepid), and is the first generation of exploration vessels Not heavily armed. It features a Warp 6 Engine, re-designed and re-placed deflector array, energy shielding + polarized hull plating, 8 Shuttle pod docks and the latest sensor equipment.

Here are some more details.

Registry: NXC - 17
Name: Gamma
Decks: 11.5
Crew:132
Ships Contracted: 12
Construction Start: 2256
Construction End: 2262

Ships:
NC - 18 MEMPHIS BELLE
NC - 19 WRIGHT
NC - 20 BLUENOSE
NC - 21 NEW SAN FRAN
NC - 22 CAPRICORN
NC - 23 SYDNEY
NC - 24 ENOLA GAY
NC - 25 APOLLO
NC - 26 DA VINCI
NC - 27 SPITFIRE
NC - 28 YUKI
106982.png
Post edited by Damocles on
Tagged:

• SchimpfySchimpfy396 Posts: 1,632Member
    Interesting that you're using a few names that are synonymous with destruction for vessels of exploration.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804617 Posts: 11,190Member
    Interesting. I like the layout, though some of the bits I'm just OK about. (the back of the saucer is kind of funky)
  • DamoclesDamocles171 Posts: 0Member
    @evil_genius_180: What do you mean by "Funky,

@Schimpfy: Irony? In reality, I chose them solely based on the fact that a) I liked them, and b) they were famous ships / planes.

Here is an update to the ship...
    RCS Thrusters colored
    Nacelle color's altered to the lighter scheme Starfleet is known for
    Lower saucer section added
    Shuttle Pod bays added
    And tinkering with the windows on the lower section

I'll try to have more updates soon, but we just started Demo / Reno at work so everything is kind of all over the place.
    107024.png
    Well, it carries plenty of shuttles. ;) Looking good so far.
    Damocles wrote: »
    @evil_genius_180: What do you mean by "Funky,

I'm just not fond of it. I can't really put my finger on why.
    Update. Added in a LOT of detail to the arch / bridge area, wanted to give it that NX / Intrepid feel, and to be honest I think I did a great job.

I also did a side view, this also lead me to see just how MASSIVE the Nacelles were, so I had to augment them, and size them down a bit, but I think they look much better now. Gonna have to do the same to the other views, though.

Also spent time, again, doing a mock up MSD. Now, I know what you're all thinking; "But Damocles, why are the lower decks slightly smaller than the upper decks?"

Well, friends, thats simple! It's because they're lower decks. Puns aside, It was a mistake on my part, one I have not yet decided to correct.
    107028.png107029.png
    "Everybody duck, we're entering the lower decks." :lol:

Looking good. Personally, I think it might look better if you thickened the saucer edge to two decks. But, maybe that's just me.
    Update time!

So, I did actually do some work on making the decks more even in size... still managed to muck it up, but at this point I'm seriously going to worry about a one pixel difference.

Added more the the MSD, mostly the power / computer / fuel distribution grids, added in the galley, etc.

Oh, and guess who forgot about the nacelles that he said he was going to change? This guy. *headdesk* oh well, I'l work on that later, I already saved my progress and want to show it off.
    107031.png107032.png
    Did another update to the side view. Mostly changed the green to black, added in some more rooms, etc. Nothing magical.

Edit: I did extend the fuel pods and add in "details" to the half-deck area, and added the security office / weapons locker area to the lower decks beside the brig area.
    107073.png
    The cutaway view is looking really nice. Changing from green to black definitely makes stuff easier to see. :)
  • Vortex5972Vortex5972333 Posts: 1,211Member
    I like where you're going with this. Only a couple of things that bug me;

- That cut out at the back of the saucer. As EG says, it looks a little funky. Maybe if it wasn't so sharp or you put a straight line between the engines it would look a little stronger. (I also agree with him about the rim being two decks.)

- The nacelles sit too high. It makes the ship look a little back-heavy and unbalanced.

I like your approach to the deflector.
    @Vortex5972: Honestly I was unsure about messing with the saucer's aft end, and I altered your suggestion a bit, but now I think it looks much better.

I also lowered the nacelles like you suggested and it does balance out a little better.

Now all I have to do is learn to accept more input from now on! lol.
    107121.png107122.png
  • Vortex5972Vortex5972333 Posts: 1,211Member
    Nice one, that is indeed looking better.
    Yes, the saucer's aft end is improved. The whole thing is looking good. :)