Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DStar Trek TMP Era Ships

evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804617 Posts: 11,190Member
edited June 2014 in Work in Progress #1
IA’m working on some canon TMP era ships for a project to which IA’m attached. We need a bunch of ships, basically everything that might have existed during the 2270s on Star Trek. IA’m doing a Constitution refit class, Miranda class, Oberth class, Soyuz class and a Constellation class. Since IA’ve got so many to do, there will be some kitbashing involved. I started by building a TMP era nacelle based schematics for the Constitution refit and Miranda. Since neither shipA’s schematics have a clear view of the nacelle from all angles, I combined them to get a complete look at the thing. IA’ll then use said nacelle for the Constitution, Miranda and Constellation. I know, there are slight variations, but not enough to justify building three nearly identical nacelles, so IA’ll just be making minor modifications for the different classes.

nacelle_05.jpg?w=500

nacelle_06.jpg?w=500

nacelle_07.jpg?w=500

nacelle_08.jpg?w=500

The nacelle is close enough to being accurate. For one thing, 100% accuracy is hard to achieve, especially when certain things on the best schematics I could find donA’t fit the photos I have of the thing and I donA’t have photos of every bit of the nacelle. So, there are some variations, as you always get when people do models. But, itA’s close enough and I have a lot more work to do.

Up first on the A“to buildA” list is the Constellation-class, because we actually need two of those, so building one and doing two sets of markings gets me two ships. Plus, I started on one a few months back. Unfortunately, my nacelles for that had way too high of a polygon count. The four nacelles and pylons without full details were well over 300,000 polygons. ThatA’s OK for me, but not for animation. So, IA’m using my Connie refit/Miranda nacelle with some minor changes. I know, the shapes are slightly different, but itA’s close enough. Besides, I think it looks OK and IA’m usually the nitpicky one when it comes to this class. I added my horizontal pylon and details IA’d made previously, but the vertical pylon and refit torpedo launcher structure (that doesnA’t actually have launchers on the studio model) had to go. They were too high poly and there was something funky going on that I never noticed on part of the torpedo launcher thing. So, I redid that and, all together, all four engines and the pylons fully detailed have less polygons than just the top engines and pylons not fully detailed on my older WIP.

Aside from that, I was also able to salvage my primary hull IA’d been building and I started working on that some more today by adding grid lines, windows and shuttlebay doors. (most of the tedious and time consuming bits) So, hereA’s where she stands right now:

constellation_wip001.jpg?w=500

constellation_wip002.jpg?w=500

constellation_wip003.jpg?w=500

constellation_wip004.jpg?w=500

constellation_wip005.jpg?w=500

constellation_wip006.jpg?w=500

IA’ve got about 20 hours of modeling time into this project right now, not counting what I did previously on the horizontal pylons and main hull of the Constellation class.
105881.jpg
Post edited by evil_genius_180 on
Tagged:

• AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    Haha, yay, looking forward. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]191 Posts: 0
    She looks very good.
    I remember your tS-Mesh of this class thatA’s great. IA’m looking forward to see this version ready.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804617 Posts: 11,190Member
    Thanks guys. :)
    ulimann644 wrote: »
    She looks very good.
    I remember your tS-Mesh of this class thatA’s great. IA’m looking forward to see this version ready.

I tried converting my TS mesh to save time. It wasn't pretty. The conversion software really made a mess of things.
    Work continues on the Constellation class. I’m kind of all over the place, just adding big bits where they go. I’m saving the tiny details for last.

constellation_wip007.jpg?w=500

constellation_wip008.jpg?w=500

constellation_wip009.jpg?w=500

constellation_wip010.jpg?w=500
    Lots of little bits done here. I got the details done on the upper part of the saucer section. That part of the ship only needs a name and registry now. I also added something between the impulse engines. Since that part (a wiring access and mounting point) is missing in all of the photos I have, I used some HD screencaps from Peak Performance to get that closer than I’ve had it before. I used caps from towards the end of the episode, where the Hathaway engages its two second warp jump to avoid the Enterprise’s torpedoes. It’s the best shot I have of that area, but it’s still a tad blurry. However, I got close enough to what is there. I took a bit of artistic license, but not as much as I have before.

constellation_wip015.jpg?w=500

constellation_wip016.jpg?w=500

constellation_wip017.jpg?w=500

constellation_wip018.jpg?w=500

constellation_wip019.jpg?w=500

constellation_wip020.jpg?w=500
    Nice updates, like it. :)
  • Vortex5972Vortex5972333 Posts: 1,211Member
    Very, very cool.
    Thanks guys. :)
    Well, it turns out the film for which I was doing these ships is going a different direction, so this one is for me. (yay, me :D ) I’ll eventually finish up the other ships if and when I have spare time to devote to stuff for me. ;)

stargazer_beauty01.jpg?w=500

stargazer_beauty02.jpg?w=500

stargazer_beauty03.jpg?w=500

stargazer_beauty04.jpg?w=500
  • dbrasco2069dbrasco20690 Posts: 2Member
    This is good, but you definitely need hi-res, production quality Color, reflection, and Bump/normal textures to really take it to the next level =)

Well, it turns out the film for which I was doing these ships is going a different direction, so this one is for me. (yay, me :D ) IA’ll eventually finish up the other ships if and when I have spare time to devote to stuff for me. ;)

stargazer_beauty01.jpg?w=500

stargazer_beauty02.jpg?w=500

stargazer_beauty03.jpg?w=500

stargazer_beauty04.jpg?w=500
    They're 4K HD quality textures. I don't know what "next level" you mean, but they're high enough quality for art prints and TV. They'd probably be fine for movies as well. (I doubt movies have higher resolution than you need for art prints.) I have color and specular maps. There's no need for a bump map because the TMP-era ships don't have raised details.
  • TralfazTralfaz412 Posts: 846Member
    Really nice work Chris.
  • trekkitrekki964 Posts: 1,417Member
    Very nice work, I like the ship. :)

Hello Chris,
    this is a completely new ship or do you just created new textures?
  • TrekMDTrekMD192 Posts: 639Member
    Nice work!
    Thanks everyone. :)
    Looks nice, I like it. :)
    Thanks. :)