Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DDaedalus-ish

Kobyashy MaruKobyashy Maru0 Posts: 0Member
edited April 2014 in Work in Progress #1
Off the bat - I don't know how to use any professional/traditional 3D software such as Max, Maya, Blender etc. I do know how you use AutoCAD and Autodesk Inventor, since I teach it to high school students.

With that out of the way - I wanted to do my own interpretation of the Daedalus Class, but in a way that could utilize the skill sets that I already have. I've done some sketch work, and now working on a "rough" working 3D Inventor set of drawings, that will be used to create a final, detailed 3D assembly.

Any feedback, advice, etc is welcome.

Here is what I have so far:
105501.jpg
105502.jpg
105503.jpg
105504.jpg
Post edited by Kobyashy Maru on
1.jpg 187.3K
2.jpg 218K
3.jpg 29.8K
4.jpg 147.7K
Tagged:

• Knight26Knight26192 Posts: 838Member
    Nice start. I'm another AUTOCAD modeler and have considered making the jump to inventor, professionally and privately. My understanding is that inventor is a parts modeler, kind of like Pro-E. I prefer modelling it all as one though for the large model at least. What has been your experience?
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804607 Posts: 11,186Member
    That's looking good so far. I like the real world look you're giving some of the elements.
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1188 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,629Member
    Very nice... I'll be watching this. :)
  • RekkertRekkert4260 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,326Member
    That's looking very nice so far, I like the industrial look.
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
  • SaquistSaquist1 Posts: 0Member
    Knight26 wrote: »
    Nice start. I'm another AUTOCAD modeler and have considered making the jump to inventor, professionally and privately. My understanding is that inventor is a parts modeler, kind of like Pro-E. I prefer modelling it all as one though for the large model at least. What has been your experience?

i've worked extensively with AutoCAD 3D...its a Bear with all the pet peeves to create lofts and once you make it it's done or undo...no editing.

Inventor:...I don't know, I'm new to it. I love the parametrics. Took me a while to get the "tree" down and tracking down errors but I learned there are tools int he program for that purpose. I haven't done a starship yet in Inventor I use it in drilling serverices but I see no reason why it can't do organic forms. Infact I've done at at least that much and they way you can make lofts has to be better than CAD..work flow might be simpler and faster.

But Inventor is a graphics Hog...AutoCAD is the opposite but crash potential is high.
  • Looks like a good start.
    I like the way you create your own version of this ship-class especially this little real-world touch of the neck.