Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DStar Wars: AAB-58 Scorpion

Mikey-BMikey-B0 Posts: 0Member
edited December 2013 in Work in Progress #1
AAB-58 Scorpion

A converted Corellian light freighter used during the Mandalorian Wars, the AAB-58 Scorpion was an assault transport that was designed to break through enemy air and space defenses and rapidly deploy a squad of soldiers, often behind enemy lines. Once deployed, the Scorpion would then use its arsenal to support the troops on the battlefield. More than just a transport, the AAB-58 came outfitted with a combat information center, medical bay, entertainment bay, armory, and generous cargo space.

Designer Notes

After working on Contact Lost in my free time for about two years straight, I needed a break. Creating Mason Sharpe for possible use in a play-by-post Star Wars Sage Edition game gave me a chance to think about what kind of ride heA’d have during the Mandalorian Wars. I started by looking at various starships from Star Wars and Star Trek and as I fiddled with the shapes and created my concept, I came up with the idea of a space tank/bomber/troop transport/AC-130 Specter gunship. Inspired by music from a soundtrack, I named the ship class Scorpion, and that led me to take a page from the Star Wars model designers to model shapes after ordinary objects. I changed the design to have a vague resemblance to a scorpion and moved the BFG turret to the scorpion tail. It isnA’t practical, but what the heck, itA’s Star Wars!

I read that some scout ships were repurposed light freighters, and that gave me the idea that the Scorpion is a light freighter converted into a space bomber, gunship, and troop transport. With the Republic getting hammered in the Mandalorian Wars, I figured that theyA’d take some cheap and readily available but sturdy freighter and beef up its armaments. I envision the stock ScorpionA’s base freighter to be an older design than the Dynamic-class (of which the Ebon Hawk is a member of), but with similar capability. Maybe the base freighter is sturdier than the Dynamic-class but itA’s slower too. Naturally, Mason hopes to turn the Wildcard into a hotrodA…

Wildcard-1.jpg
104004.jpg
Post edited by Mikey-B on
Tagged:

• Northern_MindNorthern_Mind173 Posts: 0Member
    Looks like a nice design, i'll keep my eye on this one :)
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    Looks more like an offshoot from the Dreadnaught-class from I-war....
  • Mikey-BMikey-B0 Posts: 0Member
    Hm.. Well I can see the resemblance, though it's not what I intended. I'm aiming for a freighter with a vague scorpion shape. So, I took out the crew pods on the ends and changed up the engine clusters, and then added the escape pod tunnel towards the back. I like the results:

Wildcard2.jpg
    104017.jpg