Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DColumbia Class Carrier (Sol Project)

CoolhandCoolhand289 Mountain LairPosts: 1,298Member
edited November 2013 in Finished Work #1
A real oldie from 2003 ish, here's a couple of pics.

Please read the following articles for the WIP/build, all posted here originally then lost years ago when the server crashed.

PART 1:

http://coolhandgraphics.blogspot.co.uk/2013/09/big-spaceships-004-columbia-class.html

PART 2:

http://coolhandgraphics.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/big-spaceships-004-columbia-class.html

Enjoy, thanks!
103518.jpg
103519.jpg
Post edited by Coolhand on
Tagged:

• evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Dude, you did this a decade ago? I'm insanely jealous. If I dug up something of mine from that far back, I'd probably pee myself laughing about how bad it was before hitting the "Delete" key. ;)
  • CoolhandCoolhand289 Mountain LairPosts: 1,298Member
    if you read the blog you'll see its not even one I was that happy with! but if it makes you feel any better maybe one day i'll post something I did 20 years ago? ;)
  • Knight26Knight26192 Posts: 838Member
    Wow, and oldie but a goodie from Coolhand, nice to see the old stuff make a comeback. That is some seriously danger close engagements though.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Coolhand wrote: »
    if you read the blog you'll see its not even one I was that happy with! but if it makes you feel any better maybe one day i'll post something I did 20 years ago? ;)

I did read the blog and I couldn't believe myself. Though, you being unhappy with that is a bit reminiscent of a discussion I was having just yesterday with someone who e-mailed me about one of my models. I guess we just judge our own work pretty harshly. ;) You started doing CGI twenty years ago? Wow. I only started about 13 or so years ago myself, but I didn't really get serious about it until I got out of the US Army in 2005.
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    awesome work. never seen any images of those ships before. can you post some more pics of them and the fighters(tail view shown in one of the renders in the first post, twin tail fins with a large central ventral fin) which i have never seen before either. could you do some quick 3 view ortho renders, no need for fancy raytracing just let us see the ships and fighters from all angles. the fact they are comparatively old models makes what you did all the more impressive.
    that first render with the black background really looks like you're deep in the action, a freeze frame in time.
    i'm guessing most of the work in the gallery here is "sol project" stuff, all of it pretty awesome. if there's any that isn't shown here yet you really should post some pics.
  • Road WarriorRoad Warrior207 Posts: 815Member
    Now that is a bit of nostalgia! Very cool my friend.
  • CoolhandCoolhand289 Mountain LairPosts: 1,298Member
    Hey guys thanks for the replies, sorry for not replying to the replies... most of the limited time I have here seems to be devoted to banning spammers these days, ah its not like the old days... yep it'll be 20 years ago this christmas I first dabbled in 3D graphics, I still have the exact computer set up in a corner of my office, and the same 880k floppy disk that held all the software.

There's a lot of work that has become lost over the years, at least its not online, i'm in the process of doing that, keep an eye on my blog for more of that.