Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DU.S.S. Sovereign (Probert/Richter-styled Ambassador Class)

todaytoday0 Posts: 37Member
edited October 2013 in Work in Progress #1
LOL, when I started working on this I didn't realize there were so many people modeling the Ambassador in one form or another:D

wip_teaser___3_by_todayv4-d5h6hmx.jpg

Inspiration is drawn from Andy Probert's original sketch, and influenced heavily by Tobias Richter's 3d interpretation of said sketch, with additional inspiration from WileyCoyote (aka trekmodeler). Think I have all my bases covered there, inspiration-wise.:thumb:

I should add that I'm not aiming to exactly duplicate any one particular version of the Ambassador:)

As always, modeled in LightWave3d:argh:

(edit: new thumbnail image)
USS_Sovereign, _16a1_thumb.jpg
98051.jpg
Post edited by today on
Tagged:

• todaytoday0 Posts: 37Member
    USS_Sovereign, WIP_14B.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=99850&d=1349629652

Still in the process of punching out window boxes.. this part's going to take a while :lol:
    98015.jpg
  • akb1979akb1979172 Posts: 0Member
    I like this. :)
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    I like the modeling and your interpretation of the design. However, you renders would benefit from some anti aliasing.
    That's odd actually. The AA was set pretty high, but looking at them here it does appear lacking.
    A showier render of the as yet unfinished model:)

USS_Sovereign, _15A_06.jpg

edit: Ah, the upload manager is re-sizing my images. No wonder they look fuzzy:p

edit2: Let's try this -->
    teaser___5_by_todayv4-d5h7z5k.jpg

edit3: Less blurry, still inadequately AA'd.. hmmm
    98022.jpg
  • largolargo331 Posts: 0Member
    I like the design, I can see the inspiration for it in its image, but it has nice elements that make it stand more on its own as well (especially the deflector area of the secondary hull).
    A couple of things I would mention (because I do that sort of thing) If you worked a little on the saucer section and the impulse engine to move it more away from your original inspiration you would have a ship more standing on its own lines, rather than those done by others. Not to say it doesn't look good, just saying to make it more its own ship.
    Secondly, the nacelles seem a little off. I like the rear on them, how they taper down, but I think the front looks less sleek and streamlined when compared to the rest of the ship. It also looks like the gap between the nacelle vents and the body of the nacelles themselves are a little too big, looking at ships like the D or the C, there is usually only a small difference between the two.

Keep that, or toss it, just my thoughts. I do think it is a good looking ship and think it will look great when you are done.
  • StarscreamStarscream231 Posts: 1,049Member
    EDIT: Nevermind.

Interesting variation so far.
    largo wrote: »
    I like the design, I can see the inspiration for it in its image, but it has nice elements that make it stand more on its own as well (especially the deflector area of the secondary hull).
    A couple of things I would mention (because I do that sort of thing) If you worked a little on the saucer section and the impulse engine to move it more away from your original inspiration you would have a ship more standing on its own lines, rather than those done by others. Not to say it doesn't look good, just saying to make it more its own ship.
    Secondly, the nacelles seem a little off. I like the rear on them, how they taper down, but I think the front looks less sleek and streamlined when compared to the rest of the ship. It also looks like the gap between the nacelle vents and the body of the nacelles themselves are a little too big, looking at ships like the D or the C, there is usually only a small difference between the two.

Keep that, or toss it, just my thoughts. I do think it is a good looking ship and think it will look great when you are done.

Thank you for the feedback. I definitely agree about the nacelles, and have entirely rebuilt them since they never really looked right to me the way I had them. I also agree that the saucer is a bit too derivative, but since I've gone this far with it I think I'll carry it through to the end. Which doesn't mean that I can't go back an revise it again later:thumb:
    Here's the version with the new nacelles blocked out:

attachment.php?attachmentid=99889&d=1349788229

USS_Sovereign, _16a1.jpg
    98052.jpg
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    I love that ship. Though the nacelles are in my view a bit too blocky and just don't match the overall streamlinedness.....
  • BlueNeumannBlueNeumann635 Posts: 1,290Member
    I do like the new nacelles, and the ship is really coming along... it actually looks more like a painting come to life than a "real" ship, which I don't knw if you were going for, but it's definitely a quality unlike what we're seeing in the rest of the forum.
  • MissKoriaMissKoria0 Posts: 0Member
    I have to say this is far beyond my expectations when I clicked on the thread. I love what you're doing and the fact that it's Ambassador-class makes me even happier. I will be sure to follow this, as I am now eagerly anticipating the finished product.
    Thanks everyone. Here's a thinner variant of the previous nacelles.. Still not sure about them. :thumb:

trekship_wip___teaser___6b_by_todayv4-d5hmed9.jpg

trekship_wip___teaser___6e_by_todayv4-d5hmehx.jpg

trekship_wip___teaser___6f_by_todayv4-d5hmevs.jpg

And a few closeups of the forward observation lounge and the main conference room;)

wip_teaser___2_by_todayv4-d5h2in4.jpg

where_no_one_has_gone_before_by_todayv4-d5h2cb5.jpg
    And yes, the idea of building modeled interiors for a mesh that isn't designed to hold up to that level of closeup is a little silly. Oh well:D

trekship_wip___teaser___6h_by_todayv4-d5hmexf.jpg

trekship_wip___teaser___6g_by_todayv4-d5hmewt.jpg
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    It looks good. :) Modeled interiors will look great if you plan to animate the ship. They'll look more natural than a texture.
  • TrekMDTrekMD192 Posts: 639Member
    I like it!
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,747Member
    The saucer reminds me of the cover art of The Rings Of Time. The layered saucer look is just fantastic.
  • RaptornetRaptornet0 Posts: 0Member
    Lovely work man, really like this.
  • trekkitrekki952 Posts: 1,405Member
    Hey this is a fine ship. Can you uploading here ?
  • japetusjapetus2957 SeattlePosts: 1,400Member
    You renders have an interesting, um, style to them. What's with the banding that is going on? It's actually kind of interesting, like someone said it's almost painterly. Don't know if that's what you're going for though. Itd make your ship lighting more subtle, especially the red and green lights.
  • paulbhartzogpaulbhartzog345 Posts: 31Member
    Nice work. Keep it up! :-)
  • colbmistacolbmista2 Posts: 0Member
    that panelling is horrible..
  • ST-OneST-One188 Posts: 293Member
    colbmista wrote: »
    that panelling is horrible..

Harsh. But not untrue.
    The model is still very nice.
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,747Member
    I'd like to see more.