Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

AnimationStar Wars space battle of Endor

2»

• TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Nice. Looking forward to seeing this one in motion.
  • DarkSapiensDarkSapiens174 Posts: 0Member
    Thanks! :)
  • jessepitcherjessepitcher0 Posts: 0Member
    Looks awesome! The fighters add so much to the energy of the frame, and the engine glows look hotter than your original versions of this shot somehow. Did you do something with them or is it just my imagination?
    Haha, I didn't touch them, so I guess it's the X-wing and B-wing engines making the scene much more colorful :D
    I'm planning on making the white "cores" of the engine propulsion a bit smaller, though. They're just visible lights, and they looked smaller when I created them in Cinema 4D R9, so maybe Cinema 4D R11.5 renders them a bit differently.

Thanks! :)

EDIT: BTW, the images I'm posting are still 1280 pixels wide, so you can click and open them in a new window to see them at their proper size.
    Sorry for being so slow about this. I've been really busy…

Hyperspace7d0046.jpg
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    How the hell have I missed this?! The BoE is one of my favorite space battles ever. :D

The work you're doing to recreate it is looking fantastic. :thumb:
    Thanks! This is my favourite Star Wars space battle, and I've been wanting to do this since I was a kid. But real life is making it go slooooooooooooow… :P
    Heh, I hear you there.

Looking really good fella, keep up the great work, slog on, you'll get there.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Thanks! This is my favourite Star Wars space battle, and I've been wanting to do this since I was a kid. But real life is making it go slooooooooooooow… :P

I think I misspoke. It's not one of my favorite space battles. It is my favorite. I'm going through them in my head and I can't think of anything that can compare, not even the Battle of Yavin.

Yeah, real life can make a lot of fun things go slow. Of course, animation rendering can take a while too. ;)
  • This is pretty good. I think you need more ships.. more explosions... ships going in different directions too. We used the actual ROTJ footage for inspiration and tried to add some personal touches. One thing I realized after doing it... even with our modern tools it's hard to recreate what ILM did. They were using all in-camera optical effects. Painting on lasers ... filming that on top of another layer of film to make a 3rd layer. INSANE what they did.

I'm gonna share the page... 9 years old jeesh.. from our in-house project from 2004... "Son of the Suns".. that was too ambitious and never was completed b/c of that. I'll start a thread. But for now here's our ENDOR shot.
    Heh… I've had that file in my hard drive since you first shared it on the Scifi3D forum, and watched it many times. Was a good inspiration! :thumb:

Everything I'd seen from Son of the Suns looked amazing. It would be nice to see even an incomplete cut of the film, just everything that was completed for it put together in a single video. That would've been an incredible showcase of everything Scifi3D could offer and maybe would encourage people to share models again :) (If the companies-stealing-models problem can be solved at some point…)
  • Did I share that link briefly long time ago? A lot of the scene files are there or maybe can be gotten. WELL.. it's all kinda dated material now. Quality has come a long way but it's still a lot of work to create it at a high level and there's only a handful of people with the skills and the time to do stuff like that. But we did have a good crew of people. They did good work. I pushed poor Andreas on the Endor and other stuff pretty far. He'd make 10 diff. versions of stuff till I liked it. Eventually he would pump out something really good after tweaking it so much. I don't think anybody from a company would steal any of these materials b/c they are so out-dated. Maybe. The animations in games are so high quality nowadays. The real-time graphics are insane.
    This is pretty good. I think you need more ships.. more explosions... ships going in different directions too. We used the actual ROTJ footage for inspiration and tried to add some personal touches. One thing I realized after doing it... even with our modern tools it's hard to recreate what ILM did. They were using all in-camera optical effects. Painting on lasers ... filming that on top of another layer of film to make a 3rd layer. INSANE what they did.

I'm gonna share the page... 9 years old jeesh.. from our in-house project from 2004... "Son of the Suns".. that was too ambitious and never was completed b/c of that. I'll start a thread. But for now here's our ENDOR shot.

Nice work, looks pretty solid what you have in the can there. It's mad with that opening cockpit POV shot you have there as dense with ships as it is, there still needs to be much more to match the crazy numbers of ships that whiz by in the original version of that first contact engagement shot. Great work.
    This is pretty good. I think you need more ships.. more explosions... ships going in different directions too. We used the actual ROTJ footage for inspiration and tried to add some personal touches. One thing I realized after doing it... even with our modern tools it's hard to recreate what ILM did. They were using all in-camera optical effects. Painting on lasers ... filming that on top of another layer of film to make a 3rd layer. INSANE what they did.
    Oh! I didn't see you added this bit later in your post.

I need more action indeed… And what you describe is part of the reason why I decided to try to replicate some of the shots directly from the film—so I can get more familiar with the way they did things, and then go on to create more original ones to complement them :) I'm using this huge, long term project mainly to learn while I enjoy working on my favourite space battle. No idea if it'll ever be completed, though :P (Not sure I ever said that 3D animation is just a hobby and in real life I'm getting a PhD in Astrophysics)
  • PhD in Astrophysics wow. I love the work they are doing now in that field. I watch people like Brian Cox everytime he has a series on Science Channel or something.