Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DSci fi Floor Tile (Oooh sounds exciting doesn't it ;))

WizWiz28 Posts: 0Member
edited August 2013 in Finished Work #1
How do,

Well is been a quiet few weeks for me 3D wise, but thought I needed to get something going (outside of stuff I am doing for the Descendants of Order 66 Star Wars fan film), and whilst working on a gangway for the said fan film I did a rough version of the infamous (and most commonly known as the Aliens Floor Tile) sci-fi floor tile.

So after completing the gangway, I came back to this floor tile which in reality was a plastic warehouse pallet which Shepperton Studios (or maybe Bray) bought in mass, and used in many of the classic 80's sci fi films

Now I have this puppy I can do anything from Alien/Aliens corridors, to the exteriors gangways from Outland or the Detention block corridor from Star Wars :P

So apologies on the rather lame image, and I promise will make up for it eventually

Wiz.
102725.jpg
Post edited by Wiz on

• Road WarriorRoad Warrior207 Posts: 815Member
    Great!

Have you considered 3d printing these for diorama use? I think you could sell....quite a few of these.
  • lennier1lennier1913 Posts: 1,282Member
    Nice work!

BTW: Thanks for the idea. A quick Google search for similar items returned some great reference images for a project I might be working on next spring.
  • BlueNeumannBlueNeumann631 Posts: 1,287Member
    Love that someone thought to do this!
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Nice work, as usual. You know, it never even occurred to me that the floor in Alien and Aliens was used in Star Wars.
  • WizWiz28 Posts: 0Member
    Thanks guys!

@Roadwarrior; may look into the 3d printing see if its viable (a number of people over the RPF forums have asked the same thing :)).

@lennier1; you're welcome! :) Upcoming project sounds interesting :), can I ask what it is?

@Blueneumann; one of them side projects I have been wanting to do for sometime now, and finally got an excuse to do it :)

@evil_genius_180; when you watch any of them now these tiles will jump out at you; have fun spotting them :)
    Wiz wrote: »
    @lennier1; you're welcome! :) Upcoming project sounds interesting :), can I ask what it is?
    Just some illustrations for a science fiction novel a pal wants to pitch to publishers. The kind of "bonus material" you sometimes find in various books or maybe even to give them ideas for a cover design.
    Cool :) Good luck!
    Cool :) Good luck!
    Thanks! Same for you!
    Thanks, and do you guys really think there would be a viable sales base for such items (if I was able to print, and cast etc.) this and other type sci fi panels?
    A quick test of the sci-fi floor tile; just a lighting test etc. as I work towards the final Alien corridor (this image is based on the Star Destroyer Executor floor from Empire :)).
    102777.jpg
    Thanks, and do you guys really think there would be a viable sales base for such items (if I was able to print, and cast etc.) this and other type sci fi panels?

I think so. Custom and unique action figure bases, diorama supplies, and display bases for models are, as of now, sort of an untapped market. Now, with 3d printing technologies at hand, this whole area is blown wide-open. I have perused several action figure websites in the past and the forums were loaded with suggestions and requests for such items. If you do decide to pursue this you can start by putting feelers out at websites such as Rebelscum.com which is an affiliate of Hasbo (I think) and ImperialShipyards.net. The later used to be frequented by action figure customizers and collectors from various genres. You might also scope out and 1/6 scale forums and since you are already familiar with the folks over at the RPF, check out Resin Illuminati.

What would be "good" to see would not only be "real" screen accurate floor tiles and items (from various licensed franchises) but also general scifi-type-plates and items. Lets pick Star Wars for a moment. A very nice Star Wars "feeling" floor tile would be fantastic for example; something like it would come from straight-out-of the star wars universe would (to me) be visually more interesting than some plain old boring death star floor tile....same goes for Star Trek, Aliens, ect....

At this point I just want to see what you come up with. You can model like nobodies business, that is certain. Wiz, just go crazy, man!
    My thoughts exactly Road Warrior, thanks for the advice; I am definitely looking into this more and more seriously each day and not only for this piece but as you said other elements I have already started on, including looking into options for 1/6th scale and smaller for diorama's etc. :)
    Sounds good. Godspeed.:)
    Thanks matey :)
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    nice, tiles like that can look cool more or less anywhere.
    and which they have done, in many classic films and (British) TV series :)
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Dude, you never cease to amaze me with these renders that look like photos. I don't know how you do it, but you do it consistently. :D
    Thanks evil :) outside of rendering and post work in PS (mix a little Gaussian blur, lens correction/blur, and curves balancing and voila :)) its really in the detailing, the little imperfections, dirt etc. which really add a lot :)
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Heh heh, classic. It wouldn't surprise me if there was a market for 3d printing this sort of thing, would give diorama builders a real sense of authenticity which they'll love.

Cracking work as always.

:thumb:
  • BlueNeumannBlueNeumann631 Posts: 1,287Member
    I saw that little figure of Jonesy from Alien, imagine that cat on that floor. Perfect.
    @Talon; been looking into options for printing this and other pieces for dioramas etc. as I have lot of props, wall panels etc. ready to go :)

@BlueNeumann; lol not a bad idea, may have to do a cat as well ;)
    Hey, Wiz. Had any time to put out feelers? Or is it work, work, work?
    I have, and its looking quite expensive (generating the mould is the pricey bit), or 3D printing parts and pieces them together (which again is not cheap). There are others out there looking to scratch build them so will be keeping an eye on that.

I have however been looking into other pieces of work which are more suitable for vacuforming and things are moving forward on that side of things, so possibilities are presenting themselves :)