Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DRick's Thread

Rick27Rick270 Posts: 0Member
edited August 2013 in Work in Progress #1
Hello Everybody, been away from the forum for some time, but i decided to start posting again. did some sci-fi last time, but didn't really think about posting because i did some portfolio work for Game-art (i'm selected for the study course, everything what i did was preparation).

So here's what i've got: (left to right)

NORMANDY SR1 Medical Bay
Some UFO fun project for my fathers music DVD :)
Low-poly tileable city landscape
Some finished space ship
and the space ship where i'm working on now

Everything is with SketchUp/Kerkythea, hope you like it :)
102831.jpg
102832.jpg
102833.jpg
102834.jpg
102835.jpg
102836.jpg
102837.jpg
102838.jpg
102839.jpg
102840.jpg
Post edited by Rick27 on
1.jpg 164.2K
2.jpg 43.1K
8.jpg 34.5K
9.jpg 34.5K
13.jpg 35.3K
29.jpg 84.9K
30.jpg 24.8K
40.jpg 209.6K
41.jpg 126.4K

• spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    some nice work and those that are textured are done so extremely well. i know you've used sketchup in the past but i guess these are rendered using something different?
  • colbmistacolbmista2 Posts: 0Member
    some nice work and those that are textured are done so extremely well. i know you've used sketchup in the past but i guess these are rendered using something different?
    if you read his post he said it was rendered in kerkythea
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    That's some really nice work. I like the Normandy medical bay. I just started playing Mass Effect recently, so I'm pretty familiar with that location and your version looks fantastic. I like the UFO designs, those are neat and the cityscape is wonderful. I've never had the patience to do an entire city. The big space ship is cool too, as is the unfinished one. I'm loving the details on the ship you're working on. I like the sun in that one image, did you make that? :D
  • Rick27Rick270 Posts: 0Member
    Thanks evilgenius, i'm working on a turret system for my new ship now, updates probably Tuesday because i don't really have time tomorrow. The sun in one of the renders is in a background, i should wish i had modeled that one :). The city though is pretty easy and fast, just build some towers, change them in some different versions (at the end like +-15 towers) place them on a hexagon, and just tile your city part.
    Well, if it's that easy, maybe I'll whip one up tomorrow. ;)

(tip: never devalue your work ;))
    Unfortunately a smaller update than i wanted, but i did some work on the turrets, turret heat-sinks (visible at the top between the turrets) and the engines:
    102917.jpg
    42.jpg 67.5K
    I'm liking the details on that ship. :)
  • sojournersojourner0 Posts: 0Member
    Man, you get some great results from Kerkythea. I would love to see how you setup your lighting. (all of it, from ambient to glows to points)
    Hey sojourner, i made a small tutorial for you in the attachment, the spherical i placed in the attachments i do use for my renders (the sun, earth, moon, milkyway, are not on the right positions, i just use it for the spherical lighting)

The lights in my models are mostly self-illuminating materials

EDIT: i can't upload the full-res of the spherical
    102919.jpg
  • sojournersojourner0 Posts: 0Member
    Hey cool, thanks. The one thing that has always bugged me about Kerkythea is the terrible documentation. I never had much luck finding this kind of information on their forums either. I'll have to try a few test renders with some models later tonight.