Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DNX-01 Refit

StormcloudStormcloud2 Posts: 0Member
edited July 2013 in Work in Progress #1
well everyone else is doing takes on the nx-01 refit or otherwise - so may well show afew quick wips of my version so far

i kinda like the idea of the second warp core - figure that not only gives redundancy but the extra warp plasma could maybe push the thing to warp 6+ and during combat the power can be directed to weapons and figuring this thing has shields too

anyway do like the secondary hull addition - love the original but having this as a refit makes sence as they develop the classic starfleet design - and looks pretty damn sweet
Post edited by Stormcloud on
Tagged:

• VK08VK083 Posts: 0Member
    only one little thing, the outboard engines are closed off on the refit :)only the inside warp coils are seen.. I think i have a few pics of that up in finished..if not here's a quick VPR of the ship from the side...
    102575.jpg
  • StormcloudStormcloud2 Posts: 0Member
    yeah this my take on the whole refit thing - not sticking to what others have done - hell when i first thought of this i thought i was the first person to think of adding a secondary hull lol was disapointed when looking up some nx-01 reference that i found all the refit stuff lol

so yeah this is my version which will have some differences
    :) I still put up the real one for reference in case ya need it
  • RekkertRekkert4041 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,303Member
    It's funny how it works, a couple of months ago everyone was making a version of the Klingon K't'inga, now everyone is making the NX Class. :lol:

Yours is looking good so far. The shorter neck really makes the overall flow of the ship much better in my opinion.
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    I actually think, that he open sides on the nacelles are more realistic, given the technological stand. They're still in developement, not that advanced as TOS, so that's quite cool.
    ok since discussion is focusing on the nacelles - done a bit more to them - will be keeping the coils open on both sides - i like glowy things =)
    Back from bridge to rear..

as requested..
    102593.jpg
    thanks thats a great help!
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9803 Posts: 5,327Member
    Was it not the NX-01 had asymmetrical coils IE each faced opposite directions as you went down the nacelle, thus the openings on both sides vs the Connie and latter ships up to TNG when the coils were open on both sides? Not able to find any of the cutaways where this is called out on latter ships. There is a NX-01 ortho sheet Doug released that had a call out of "non-symetrical warp coils" if I remember he said it was for the producers so everyone would know what bit of ship was what.

Anyhow it all came to mind when I saw that refit VK posted that had the outer nacelle hulls covered up as if the ship had replacement warp tech. Something I have been mulling over for my Daedalus if I should use the asymmetrical coil arrangement or not.

I like you take on the glows over the canon, since that had the coils themselves glowing blue, vs a cast light which you have.
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
    i think your right the nx-01 was supposed to be asymmetrical coils - been watching repeats of enterprise on tv lately and i think they mentioned it somewhere

as to the glow - well i always figured the coils would be solid metal of some sort and the glow was coming from the warp plasma that was flowing inbetween them
    MadKoiFish wrote: »
    I like you take on the glows over the canon, since that had the coils themselves glowing blue, vs a cast light which you have.

Actually Koi the glows are lights on the canon, the blue warp coil effect is actually a few point lights placed intermittently along the line of the nacelle..
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9803 Posts: 5,327Member
    I am talking about the objects on the studio mesh. They used self illumination and post glow effects on them. This was most obvious on the outboard side of the nacelle. Inboard was some sort of mesh texture. It has a few what look like omni lights to emit some blue glow but the coils on the outboard are clearly self ilum mapped.

wwtk.jpg
    do not think this site allows in-lining hotlinks.
    http://www.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/nxenterprise/enterprise_beauty.jpg
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
    anyone know if those little cutouts on the aft sides of the saucer are impulse engines or not?
  • RekkertRekkert4041 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,303Member
    If you mean the little area on the saucer edge seen glowing here, yes, those are impulse engines.
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
    anyone know what sort of lighting setup they use on space shows? can never find a nice balance between realistic and over lit
    Storm: yep.. I'll show you tomorrow when i have a little more time :)
    ok done some more - fixed up the original nx-01 pylon bits to be a bit more accurate - added some radiators to the nacelle pylons - figuring this is a brute force engineering solution to going faster etc, thinking that after the xindi attack starfleet wanted faster more powerful ships just in case something else comes along - so secondary hull is about bigger deflector for going faster - second warp core for more power and replacement shuttle bay since the original one is now the primary intersection for getting from primary to secondary hulls - also almost doubling up on firepower with 6 phase cannons and 4 torpedo launchers - figuring might even have shields - and with the 2 cores can still have warp speed - while giving an entire warp cores power output over to weapons and defense systems - need to go fast then divert all power to engines and use radiators to vent the excess heat from the nacelles

anyway also added some windows to the saucer - though think i'll replace the saucer soon too since you can see its not smooth - should have used a cylinder with a few more divisions i guess =)