Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3Dsomething different

teknomancer2008teknomancer200866 Posts: 145Member
edited June 2013 in Work in Progress #1
What with all the star trek stuff out there, i thought carefully about what i wanted to see, and after awhile, i came up with an idea that was so simple, it was obvious. Why have nacelles at all? of all the perfectly obvious traits that has been slowly edging its' way into the trek universe (since TNG, anyways), i felt it was an equally obvious transition method. this also stems from the idea that a vessel can be a lifting body, and "ride the waves" much like a trimaran does the surface of the water. so, without further ado, here is my first attempt!

What you can see here is just the lower half of the hull, as that is what i am working on at the moment, but the idea is beginning to take shape. the bulge is where the engine room is, and the cut out is the deflector dish. i know it is a bit confusing right now, but all will become clear when i have got a bit more done.
101989.jpg
Post edited by teknomancer2008 on
Tagged:

• evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Why have nacelles? Welll, the original thought process is that the stuff inside warp engines is dangerous and you want it as far away from the ship as possible. Nacelles are a nice way to contain engines that aren't inside the main structure (like wing-mounted aircraft engines.) That's why they exist.

Interesting shape. I look forward to seeing what you do with the ship.
  • teknomancer2008teknomancer200866 Posts: 145Member
    Why have nacelles? Welll, the original thought process is that the stuff inside warp engines is dangerous and you want it as far away from the ship as possible. Nacelles are a nice way to contain engines that aren't inside the main structure (like wing-mounted aircraft engines.) That's why they exist.

Interesting shape. I look forward to seeing what you do with the ship.

i agree. i have also noticed a lot of designs that incorporate the engines inside the hull, and this is what inspired me. thank you for the interest. working on a bit at the moment, will post some pics when i got more time.